The Gap: Anger, Bernie, Trump, Brexit.. what else?

classic Classic
439 messages Options
1234 ... 44
Reply |  

The Gap: Anger, Bernie, Trump, Brexit.. what else?

Harvey
Admin
Benny posted this link in TGR:

http://qz.com/721854/why-everyone-is-so-mad-99-of-post-recession-jobs-went-to-those-who-went-to-college/

Is QZ credible?  

If legit, the numbers are stunning.  I assumed it was lopsided but wow.

"If it's my mountain, I'm installing a fixed grip and telling the lifties to stuff the beginners into chairs as aggressively as they have to to keep it going full speed." —Brownski
Reply |  

Re: The Gap: Anger, Bernie, Trump, Brexit.. what else?

campgottagopee
Yikes, those numbers are lopsided. Like you said if true it's no wonder people are pissed. What is true is our country is more divided now than ever. This would help explain some of that.

Reply |  

warp daddy
In reply to this post by Harvey
Basically Quartz is a news aggregator and according to the Columbia School of Journalism is comprised of very qualified team of journalists . The rap on Quartz if there is one is that there is little " original content " so the aggregation "may " be subject to some bias of the originator .

However this particular story and the  data i believe originated at Georgetown U , but hey as an ex  college prez  and being somewhat cynical , THIS story will no doubt be part of the "marketing effort"  to stimulate further undergrad and grad school enrollment across the land .

But the analysis is daunting and no doubt is cause for great concern . We need more trades people , people who can fix and build stuff and who have the drive to operate independently .

Give me a good , honest ,guy  with a pickup and some skills like plumbing, wiring , heating and air conditioning skiill together with carpentry skills and THAT guy adds VALUE .  Just sayin !

Reply |  

MC2 5678F589
Yeah, we need a massive public infrastructure program, a raise in the minimum wage, and an increase in social security payments. As I've argued before, the problem is that people (especially people without college degrees) have no money.

Simple solution: give them money. It's never been cheaper for the U.S. to borrow money than it is right now. Borrow money and build bike paths. Borrow money and redo every underground pipe to remove lead. Borrow money and give everyone broadband. Borrow money and offer even bigger tax breaks for solar projects. Put the workers of America back to work.

This doesn't seem like a hard problem to fix. The problem is that Austerity freaks like tjf, Coach, and the entire Republican Party are going to be against it because they claim that the deficit is too high. Not a coincidence that uninformed kids like snoloco have the same opinion.

Reply |  

warp daddy
Speachless , damn just build a mountain of debt and force our grandchildren into debt service payments WITH your cheapened currency ...brilliant !!!

Reply |  

MC2 5678F589
warp daddy wrote
Speachless , damn just build a mountain of debt and force our grandchildren into debt service payments WITH your cheapened currency ...brilliant !!!
And this is why we can't have nice things. Many economists have said that the problem is that the deficit isn't large enough and Austerity is killing economies all over the world. Keynesian economics works, but starting around 1980, we abandoned it in favor of Pro-business, profits over people solutions that have been destroying the middle class for decades.

Again, warp, you complain and complain but offer no solutions.

What economic policies will help your struggling town? What will bring jobs back? What will make your kids move back home? What do you have to offer a struggling construction worker who can't keep a job because he keeps running out of work?

Reply |  

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by warp daddy
warp daddy wrote

But the analysis is daunting and no doubt is cause for great concern . We need more trades people , people who can fix and build stuff and who have the drive to operate independently .

Give me a good , honest ,guy  with a pickup and some skills like plumbing, wiring , heating and air conditioning skiill together with carpentry skills and THAT guy adds VALUE .  Just sayin !
I couldn't agree more. I often wished I would've stayed in the masonry field, good <insert any kind of tradesman> are hard to get.

One thing that really needs to be addressed for these guys is insurance. Insurance cost's for small biz is completely outrageous. It's no wonder so many of these guys are "under the table", I don't like that but I certainly understand it and I most likely would do the same thing. I have a cousin who is a logger. I could be wrong as it was a long time ago I had this conversation with him, but I believe for every dollar he makes fiddy cent goes to workman's comp  

Reply |  

warp daddy
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
Matt i am not running for office .and thus am not obligated in any way to offer solutions to anyone . But that said , as a stakeholder in this , i feel justified to offer criticism relative to any sub optimal or ethically challenged candidate that proffers a series of actions .

There are solutions to these issues and were i interested or motivated to run i would advance ethically correct and lasting solutions that build trust , that invest in the middle class , establish realistic expectations for individual responsibility fot one's economic advancement and sunset ineffective and cost inefficient programs  

These have been my strategies in the broadest sense when i had the honor and privelage to lead a very complex organization

As an aside , my children are older than you and have children of their own in University . They each are very successful so the notion of them returning here is specious .

I am a realist , not an idealist .

Reply |  

noip
The US gov has done a very bad job at explaining that there are winners and losers in globalization.

Second, they have a done an even worse job of dealing with the effects.  Unemployment should be enhanced with job training, tuition to junior colleges, etc.

Third, I am in my early fifties and my dad was a union member in manufacturing.  When I came of age, I knew that I needed a degree, and pursued a STEM degree.  I didn't finish, and I tended bar and waited tables till I graduated with a business degree in '96.  

The people who are feeling so alienated, made really bad decisions regarding their careers.

Reply |  

Johnnyonthespot
In reply to this post by warp daddy
The bigger problem is the cost of higher ed. Let's not confuse educated with smart either.

1234 ... 44