Quantcast

The Gap: Anger, Bernie, Trump, Brexit.. what else?

classic Classic
339 messages Options
12345 ... 34
Reply |  

Re: The Gap: Anger, Bernie, Trump, Brexit.. what else?

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by noip
noip wrote

The people who are feeling so alienated, made really bad decisions regarding their careers.
I couldn't agree more but be careful here. There are some that will jump on you stating some people can't make decisions for themselves and that we should hold their hands throughout life giving them whatever they want. You know, we tax payers can fit the bill for anything and everything. Hand outs for all!!!

Reply |  

noip
In reply to this post by mattchuck2
mattchuck2 wrote
warp daddy wrote
Speachless , damn just build a mountain of debt and force our grandchildren into debt service payments WITH your cheapened currency ...brilliant !!!

What economic policies will help your struggling town? What will bring jobs back? What will make your kids move back home? What do you have to offer a struggling construction worker who can't keep a job because he keeps running out of work?
you can't fight the race to the bottom, increases in productivity, and the like.  the jobs you reference are gone for ever.  to think otherwise would be such an miss reading of the world economy.  

If you have skills that are in demand, there is work.  If you don't have them, then you need to get them.  That may mean moving, or borrowing, or selling your house.  I don't know really but a good paying job making clothes is gone in the US.

Reply |  

mattchuck2
In reply to this post by warp daddy
warp daddy wrote
There are solutions to these issues and were i interested or motivated to run i would advance ethically correct and lasting solutions that build trust , that invest in the middle class , establish realistic expectations for individual responsibility fot one's economic advancement and sunset ineffective and cost inefficient programs  

These have been my strategies in the broadest sense when i had the honor and privelage to lead a very complex organization
This is such a BS non answer. And coming from a former leader of an organization, it is a great example of why workers feel upset with the people above them. How many more business buzzwords could you have shoved in there? Maybe you could reform some paradigms or microstrategize some enhancements to the business climate.

Come on, warp. I want solutions, not euphemisms. You're right, you're not obligated to give them, but what's the point in having experience if you're not going to pass on your knowledge?

Reply |  

noip
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote
noip wrote

The people who are feeling so alienated, made really bad decisions regarding their careers.
I couldn't agree more but be careful here. There are some that will jump on you stating some people can't make decisions for themselves and that we should hold their hands throughout life giving them whatever they want. You know, we tax payers can fit the bill for anything and everything. Hand outs for all!!!
there should be more training for those who lost work from globalization and perhaps enhanced unemployment insurance.  As a country we are better off with a trained, technical work force.  

If you build it they will come.  I am not so sure.  So what I mean is, even if job retraining was offered, how many 50 somethings would do it, or actually complete it?  I hope and believe that it would be worth it to the country and the individuals that took the opportunity.

I was lucky, I got my shit together in my late 20s, and was back in school, moving from vt to seattle.  some people can't make that kind of decision.

I really kick at the notion, that if you grew up in the middle of no where, that you expect a good paying job.  the economy changes, and that means, human assets have to move and change.  

Reply |  

mattchuck2
In reply to this post by noip
noip wrote
mattchuck2 wrote
warp daddy wrote
Speachless , damn just build a mountain of debt and force our grandchildren into debt service payments WITH your cheapened currency ...brilliant !!!

What economic policies will help your struggling town? What will bring jobs back? What will make your kids move back home? What do you have to offer a struggling construction worker who can't keep a job because he keeps running out of work?
you can't fight the race to the bottom, increases in productivity, and the like.  the jobs you reference are gone for ever.  to think otherwise would be such an miss reading of the world economy.  

If you have skills that are in demand, there is work.  If you don't have them, then you need to get them.  That may mean moving, or borrowing, or selling your house.  I don't know really but a good paying job making clothes is gone in the US.
Agree with this. But there has really only been a couple of million manufacturing jobs lost to globalization. The problem is, those used to be good paying jobs that had ripple effects through the communities of the people that had them.

My plan is to recreate that using construction jobs. I agree with camp and warp that there should always be good paying jobs available to welders, pipefitters, drillers, and laborers who work hard. The problem is that we don't have enough work for these guys (who still hang out in the towns warp talks about). I say we put these guys (and women) to work.

Yes, garment manufacturing is gone. But that doesn't mean we're doomed as a society and we have to close the borders and discriminate against immigrants.

Reply |  

noip
any pro business person or economist believes in immigration.  immigration has been fueling our economy for close to 150 years.  

Reply |  

mattchuck2
noip wrote
any pro business person or economist believes in immigration.  immigration has been fueling our economy for close to 150 years.
Yep. And it will continue because the white, native born birth rate in this country is so low.

Reply |  

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by mattchuck2
mattchuck2 wrote

My plan is to recreate that using construction jobs. I agree with camp and warp that there should always be good paying jobs available to welders, pipefitters, drillers, and laborers who work hard. The problem is that we don't have enough work for these guys (who still hang out in the towns warp talks about). I say we put these guys (and women) to work.
Have you tried to hire anything done at your house???  Not sure about where you live but around here you'll be waiting a while before you get anyone there. I think there is a lot of work around but people don't want to work. I had this exact conversation yesterday with a guy doing work for me at my house. He's loaded with work, but can't find guys who want to work. We make it too comfortable for people to sit around on their asses and play video games all day.

Reply |  

noip
^same here, it's hard to get buy charging 15/hour as a handy man.  the only folks that can do that have low costs of living or have a full time job.

would raising the minimum wage help?  many economists feel it would stimulate the economy and many also feel that some people would lose their jobs.  would others come back to the economy?

I don't think a 16 year old kid washing dishes, in a seasonal business, in the middle of no where upstate NY is worth 15/hour, but I do believe raising the minimum wage may not be a bad idea.

Reply |  

raisingarizona
We don't need to borrow money, we can just print as much as we like.

We just need to make more printing machines!

On the 15 minimum wage, I don't understand why that's the magical number. And , how will small businesses afford to pay there 14 year old dishwasher that kind of wage?

I get it that companies like Walmart and McDonalds are getting away like bandits while their employees live in poverty but is that really fair for small businesses? Or will those guys be able to continually take out loans to meet their payroll?

Fuck it....just print more money.

12345 ... 34