The Gap: Anger, Bernie, Trump, Brexit.. what else?

classic Classic
439 messages Options
123456 ... 44
Reply |  

Re: The Gap: Anger, Bernie, Trump, Brexit.. what else?

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by noip
I'm not sure a blanket minimum raise hike is the answer. I'd rather see the employers get a break from insurances etc with some kind of guarantee they would pass on a certain percentage of the savings to  their employee's.  I'm not for just handing out money, but I would like to see the employer be able to take better care of a employee in good standing.  That may give the lazy SOB playing video games all day incentive to get out and make some coin. Right now those guys are too happy making XXX/week on whatever assistance they're on, but if there was real money to be made by actually working it may just work.

Reply |  

tjf1967
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
Our generation was taught that we need a college education. The skilled labor force was basically abandoned.  Anyone that is welder, plumber, electrician, operator can pretty much write there own ticket now a days.  

Reply |  

campgottagopee
So true. I don't know of anyone in a skilled trade who is good that is hurting right now. They can def punch their own ticket.

Reply |  

warp daddy
Look we all agree the need for technical retraining  of workers displaced by the economy . I personally designed and ran these kinds of programs under a myriad of funding sources for several decades .at two different colleges .

Some work , Many fail ....know why ???

A combo of reasons , 1. Geographic immobility of the the individual 2.  Inability of the local regional economy to attract new investment .3. Failure of the local industry to maintain its match and thus once government subsidy expires there is little longitudinal effectiveness , i e the firm shrinks , moves or lays off the workforce. And in some cases the individual is not sufficiently motivated once her/his individual assistance expires or they are unable to sustain their grades

Now for those who are NOT limited by geographic immobility it works ,BUT on rare occasions the new employer in the new location undergoes a RIF and the individual is hurt again .

That said , retraining MOTIVATED individuals is definitely worth the investment and that is one reason why i do support  free universal (college TUITION only ). Support for QUALIFIED individuals .  Be They displaced workers or as i have previously stated for traditionally aged college aspirants as well.  Qualifications would be based on both ability and intetest as measured by std test scores , grades. , recommendations .

Programs designed for  displaced workers have their own unique standards for admission ability and are typically unique to the particular program as funded by sponsors

Reply |  

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
Okay, if the skilled workers aren't hurting, and the college educated aren't hurting, then what is driving the "economic insecurity" that I hear so much about?

Why is the status quo so bad that we're taking crazy steps like Brexit and Trump winning the Republican Nomination?

Is it possible that, as I've been saying all along, Life is Good? Is it possible that people, driven by a media that is hungry to induce panic (because it's good for ratings), have just convinced themselves that times are terrible, even though we're living in the best time to live ever? Seriously, we live better than Kings and Queens of the 16th-20th centuries. We have the entire world's information at our fingertips. We have the best beer, best wine, and best food that have ever existed. We have the best skis, bikes, and other toys that have ever existed.

I can't believe the people on this forum (who have benefitted the most from the economy of last 30 years, judging by the houses and cars I see people post) are considering voting for a lunatic because of some vague economic insecurity that nobody can define. Isn't it possible that it's not "economic insecurity" at all, but plain old Tribalism and Nationalism that's the culprit?

http://www.vox.com/2016/7/6/12098622/immigration-worries-economy-security

Reply |  

warp daddy
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
Matt  what level of abstraction are you operating  on ?.I was very specific that i owe you or no one else any solutions .i am not running. For office .

Frankly  trying to bait me is a BS and juvenile move on your part . MY professional accomplishments, pedigree and legacy speak for themselves . My experiences cut across higher education , healthcare , business and i served on two special gubenatorial ( different govenors , different parties ) appointments to state wide economic development and retraining commissions .  So i believe my credibility has been well documented over Four decades

The answer i gave you was deliberatly "political " speaking directionally not operationally . Di you really think either Clinton or Trump have operationalized strategy at the level of detail ?

,. However when i was in the game , strategies crafted  were specific , measureable , replicable, time dated with accountability standards  and  results based to create both positive margins and desired program outcomes .BTW this was also done in a participative team oriented structure , not always easy .

One does not survive as a chief executive officer if you fail to deliver results .

Reply |  

MC2 5678F589

Reply |  

Coach Z
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
You are fricking insane?

You borrow all that money with no means to pay it back? And you are talking Trillions with a capital T

Who exactly would be leaning that money to us?  Answer the Suadis and Chinese.  Piss them off and they sell the debt for political reasons and we are talking Great Depression 2.

Inflation would skyrocket, the value of the dollar would drop like a rock and our stock market would drop.

Brilliant Matt just Brillant.  The liberal answer to every and anything is to spend money

mattchuck2 wrote
Yeah, we need a massive public infrastructure program, a raise in the minimum wage, and an increase in social security payments. As I've argued before, the problem is that people (especially people without college degrees) have no money.

Simple solution: give them money. It's never been cheaper for the U.S. to borrow money than it is right now. Borrow money and build bike paths. Borrow money and redo every underground pipe to remove lead. Borrow money and give everyone broadband. Borrow money and offer even bigger tax breaks for solar projects. Put the workers of America back to work.

This doesn't seem like a hard problem to fix. The problem is that Austerity freaks like tjf, Coach, and the entire Republican Party are going to be against it because they claim that the deficit is too high. Not a coincidence that uninformed kids like snoloco have the same opinion.

"It is better to go skiing and think of God, than go to church and think of sport."
Artic Explorer Fridtjof Nansen
Reply |  

raisingarizona
I have to agree with Coach on this one. We need to be more strategical with our spending. I'll add to that, I would like to stop stoking the weapons industry but in all honesty, that would sadly be a blow to our economy now.

Reply |  

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by Coach Z
Coach Z wrote
You are fricking insane?

You borrow all that money with no means to pay it back? And you are talking Trillions with a capital T

Who exactly would be leaning that money to us?  Answer the Suadis and Chinese.  Piss them off and they sell the debt for political reasons and we are talking Great Depression 2.

Inflation would skyrocket, the value of the dollar would drop like a rock and our stock market would drop.

Brilliant Matt just Brillant.  The liberal answer to every and anything is to spend money
You've been saying inflation would be up for a while now and it's been stuck below the Fed's 2% target for years.

We need more inflation. It increases incomes, makes U.S. Goods cheaper on the world market, makes it easier to pay debts, and increases interest rates on bank accounts.

Inflation is too low right now (especially after Brexit). Other countries holding our debt is an advantage because they won't attack a country they're monetarily tied to. Not sure you're seeing the picture clearly here, Coach. Or maybe you are: low inflation helps people who already have money, and with your sweet stock picks, you'll be Warren Buffett in no time.

123456 ... 44