classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

The Hickory Time Machine 2/5/11

rfarren
This post was updated on .
Firstly, I would like to say that this trip took place the same day as Powderqueen's earlier report. I'm nonetheless posting it even though she did a fabulous job showing and explaining the day.

The Back Story:

The prior week I had planned on skiing up in the Catskills. With a huge storm expected that week I was very much looking forward to a day trip. Sadly, that storm deposited freezing rain, and thus my plans were changed. I then made a decision to head to Gore for the day, but again there was a storm heading in on the 5th. I didn’t want to drive home through a storm so I decided I would spend the weekend up in Warrensburg, where the beds are cheap. Initially I had planned to ski two days at Gore, but on the advice of Harvey44 I decided ski at Hickory Ski Center.

The prior midweek storm that had dropped freezing rain on the Catskills had dropped only snow at Hickory, and since it was closed until Saturday I knew that the mountain would be untracked. Harvery44 set me up with KirbyVV, who generously would show me around the mountain’s plentiful trees. Kirby’s advice was to get there early, by 8:30 AM. This would be tough, as I would be driving from Brooklyn.

The Day:

I woke up at 5:00 AM. Having packed the night before, I made a quick Latte, got dressed and brushed my teeth. I ran out the door fully dressed with coffee in hand at 5:15. The beauty of leaving so early is that NYC traffic is negligible. I made only one stop on route 17 in New Jersey for gas. My goal was to get to the mountain no later than 8:45. I arrived at Warrensburg by 8:30 absolutely exhausted. I stopped to get a coffee to wake me up. Once, the hot coffee did its job I got back into the car and raced over to Hickory. The signs for Hickory are small and it is tricky to find. I knew I was on the right track once I saw the mountain.

Hickory from the road.

The parking lot is at the bottom of a hill leading up to the day lodge. I knew from walking up the hill the day was going to be tough on me, as my energy was absolutely zero and my feet were tired.  However, there weren’t any crowds so I at least knew I would get in enough skiing that I could handle.

Your weekend powder day crowd!

Once on the mountain I met up with KirbyVV, HickoryMartha, Steve_C, and to my surprise Powderqueen. For the rest of the day we would ski together. My feet bothered me throughout the day, but the terrain made up for the lack of energy and pain I felt.

Hickory is like a time machine. I imagine it is what skiing was like in the 1960s. It takes you back to a time before slope-side condos became ubiquitous. It’s not overly groomed, and boasts big terrain for a small mountain. Hickory is truly a skiers mountain, no frills but big on thrills. It is a great mountain for someone who likes skiing without all the distractions of luxury. In a way it reminds me of a country club, although not exclusive. Everyone, seemed to know each other, and everyone seemed genuinely thrilled to be on the mountain.

Hickory doesn’t have a chairlift but boast 2 Poma lifts and a rope tow. The Poma lifts perfectly serve all of the terrain and keep the terrain from being skied out too quickly. They are also a bit of fun, as they have quite a kick in places. I was surprised how much quicker I tired out without sitting between runs.

The trees at Hickory are some of the best in the Adirondacks. Even after a half-day of skiing there were plenty of lines that were left untracked. Certainly, this mountain should be on the radar of any East Coast powder hound when there is a midweek storm. The powder is left untouched during the week because Hickory only operates on Saturdays and Sundays. It is directly north facing, so the snow preserves very well. Although, Hickory is natural snow dependent, it seems to get enough to make the whole mountain skiable. If I lived in Albany, this mountain would be at the top of my list to hit for freshies.

While there I was explained that the mountain had been closed for four years. A few people worked on the mountain while it was closed clearing glades of overgrowth in case it ever reopened. Clearly, it was a labor of love as the mountain had made an indelible impression on many of those who had skied it in the past. With the area reopening, these few are reaping the rewards of their labor with ample powder and perfectly spaced trees.

Overall Hickory is the type of mountain that makes you feel good. Like your favorite shirt it is comfortable, but maybe not the most fashionable. Then again, as old ripped jeans have become synonymous with hip, maybe this is the perfect time for an area like Hickory to shine. With its warm friendly retro feel Hickory fills its niche perfectly.

Rob
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: The Hickory Time Machine 2/5/11

Harvey
Administrator
Rob - you got a great handle on what Hickory is all about in the time you were there.  The place is a rarity - operated out of love for the mountain, and love for skiing.

You're exactly what Hickory needs. Out of area skiers, who ski it, love the place and talk it up.

Maybe the term "epic" is overused. But a day that started in Brooklyn at 5am, included 3.5 hours of driving, slaying the untracked, keeping up with Kirby and riding the surface lifts all day ... it's got to qualify.

Thanks for a great report.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Powderqueen
The love for the mountain was real by all who were there. No question about it.

Rob, it was nice skiing with you.

I'm heading back for Telefest...you don't have to be a telemarker to go. There is going to be a band and prizes. There is going to be a skinning race and you don't have to ride tele to do it...AT works too...all ya need are skins and your good to go.
Reply | Threaded
|

rfarren
I would go but I have to stay in the city a this weekend. Work beckons....
Rob