167 messages Options
12345 ... 9
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The Lake Effect Thread

Harvey
Administrator
Nice wakin' up to a little Catskill Lake effect in the mornin...

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
it's snowing nicely at Hunter..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Game on:

First Lake Effect
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Some serious lake effect tonight.

We caught some of this at Hunter today, but nothing like what PDQ had to deal with on her return from Whiteface.

From her iPhone 2+ hours ago...

PDQ - I'm assuming you're resting after an intense weekend. Let us know you are ok.
Reply | Threaded
|

Powderqueen
Hairy driving in CNY this evening. All I can say is thank you technogeeks for making the smartphone so that I could see where the bad weather was and I could make good decisions for which route to take. We didn't have 4wd, driving a van (at least with new all season radials), towing a trailer (with summer slick tires), we knew we'd head into the lake effect bands once we got to CNY. We didn't want to take the southern route (88 to Binghamton) because LES seemed heavy on a good extent of that route. The Thruway looked dry to Syracuse and we knew we'd need to tackle some place, so instead of dropping down 81 as we usually do, we opted to go through the band on the Thruway until the Waterloo exit. It was getting scary on the Thruway at that point. People were being really stupid with sudden and stupid braking, slowing, crowding and huge double tractor trailers barreling down, so we got off in the worst of it. We could hardly see the exit ramp and we were driving on 4" of accumulated snow for about 10 miles until it started to let up and we were able to see some road again. We drove out of the band and all we had to contend with was blowing and drifting snow.

81 still looks really bad. I bet they get over a foot of snow in the hills of Sempronius, at Bear Swamp. May head out that way next weekend for a nordic tour.
Reply | Threaded
|

Tin Woodsman
In reply to this post by Harvey
That radar shot from Harv is a perfect illustration of why the NW Catskills get the most snow of anywhere in the area.  this is a classic LES set-up and you can see the Georgian Bay>Lake Ontario connection firing hard, with the resulting intense band pointed right at the Plattekill/Bearpen area.  With the counter clockwise flow of these stalled out, stacked low pressures in the Canadian maritime, you get the perfect NW angle of wind over the longest fetch of Georgian Bay, followed by a slight aspect change to WNW as it passes over Lake Ontario.  From then on, it's a pretty flat, straight shot until the 3000'-3500' wall of that first ridge in the Cats.
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
Just did my driveway for 3rd time in 24hrs after making a couple runs in the dark at Song Mtn. LE still cranking
LAKE EFFECT SNOW WARNING IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 AM EST TUESDAY...

THIS HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK IS FOR CENTRAL NEW YORK.

.DAY ONE...TONIGHT.

PLEASE LISTEN TO NOAA WEATHER RADIO OR GO TO WEATHER.GOV ON THE
INTERNET FOR MORE INFORMATION ABOUT THE FOLLOWING HAZARDS.

LAKE EFFECT SNOW WARNING.

.DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...TUESDAY THROUGH SUNDAY.

LAKE EFFECT SNOW WILL CONTINUE THROUGH THE MIDDLE OF THE
WEEK...WITH ADDITIONAL ACCUMULATIONS LIKELY THROUGH AT LEAST WEDNESDAY

Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Skimore... diggin those pics - thanks for them.

Tell some of the tale from Song Mountain?
Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
In reply to this post by Tin Woodsman
Red Clay Caked on the bottom ...well all over your car mid week...meant Powder Daize  You always knew who was at the mountain that day    Growing up in Northern Jersey I would always ski Plattekill when the lake effect snuck in the back door of the Catskills
Proud to call Gore My Home Mountain
Covid stole what would have been my longest season ever!
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
I posted this in my other thread already, but I might as well throw it in here. This was from about a 36 hour event last Weds. Pic was snapped Saturday morning in East Aurora, NY (just South of Buffalo). I think they've gotten another foot or so in the past 48 hours. I don't think it stops snowing in this place.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
The thing that sucks about LES , drive 3 miles in any direction , you are looking at bare grass..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
This post was updated on .
JasonWx wrote
The thing that sucks about LES , drive 3 miles in any direction , you are looking at bare grass..
Not with this one. 20 miles away this morning it was still like this

Then it looked like this

and this

then

with no sign of let up for a bit
Today: Snow showers. The snow could be heavy at times. High near 23. Breezy, with a west wind between 17 and 20 mph, with gusts as high as 31 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. Total daytime snow accumulation of 5 to 9 inches possible.

Tonight: Snow showers. Low around 14. Wind chill values as low as zero. West wind between 11 and 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 3 to 7 inches possible.

Wednesday: Snow showers likely. Cloudy, with a high near 22. Wind chill values as low as -1. West wind between 13 and 17 mph, with gusts as high as 28 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.

Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
Sweet!!
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Lake Effect creates a new powder destination

Sick Bird Rider
If you get tired of waiting for snow, you could always head to Boler Mountain, near London, Ontario. The area just got whacked with over 100 cm of snow in the last 48 hours and more is on the way (that's more than three feet if you don't think metric). With only 115 feet of vert, you'd hardly be out of breath skinning to the top.

Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Lake Effect creates a new powder destination

tBatt
OR you could head to Mt Baker, WA. Possibly the snowiest place on Earth. Annual snowfall of around 650 inches --> 54 feet. If this is an accurate forecast, they're looking at 1/6 of their annual snowfall in less than a week.

This Afternoon: Snow. High near 23. South southeast wind around 11 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. Total daytime snow accumulation of 9 to 13 inches possible.

Tonight: Snow. Temperature rising to around 12 by 4am. Windy, with a south southwest wind between 36 and 40 mph, with gusts as high as 48 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 22 to 28 inches possible.

Wednesday: Snow showers. Temperature rising to near 17 by 11am, then falling to around 9 during the remainder of the day. Windy, with a southwest wind 26 to 29 mph increasing to between 34 and 37 mph. Winds could gust as high as 44 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 13 to 19 inches possible.

Wednesday Night: Snow showers. Low around 9. Windy, with a west southwest wind around 30 mph, with gusts as high as 36 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 21 to 27 inches possible.

Thursday: Snow showers. High near 13. Windy, with a west southwest wind between 21 and 31 mph, with gusts as high as 37 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 13 to 19 inches possible.

Thursday Night: Snow showers. Low around 6. Breezy. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 12 to 18 inches possible.

Friday: Snow showers. High near 10. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 16 to 22 inches possible.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
stop looking at Mt Bakers forecast..It will just drive you nuts

they also get a ton of winter rain too
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
Mt. Baker set the record for most snow in a season 1189 inches I believe it was 98-99...That is just shy of 100 feet!
Did I mention it is an incredible place to ski?...and board as they are probably 2 to 1 snowboards to skis and yes they peacefully coexist...anyone watching the potential for a Powder Day at Gore possible Monday?
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
i will write a weather up date tomorrow..but as of now monday looks wet and ugly
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
I know it's early and you are the weather guy but...

if this can throw it's energy a few miles east.  There is a lot of cold air ready to pounce
yes I am an optimist...
Looking forward to your forecast
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
problem is the vort(energy) starts digging to far to the west. Then the trough goes negatively tilted , bring the low west of the ADK's..
that said many more runs to go, hopefully there will be more progression, thus allowing the low to go further east
"Peace and Love"
12345 ... 9