classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
119 messages Options
1 ... 3456
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The Worst Day Since Yesterday

Highpeaksdrifter
there is no doubt that words can hurt people. There's no doubt that some things are offensive to people.  NJ  writing what he did was not offensive to me. And I'm a strong believer a parent should never hit their kid. I I think people often choose to be offended and then run with it.I also think that threads like this develop a life of their own. Each side wants to win. Each side wants to build a consensus against the other side. each side wants to see who gets in the best shot who gets the lol's etc. I remember getting in flame wars like this then going to do something then running back to my computer to see what the other person said. After a while I'd regret I got into it. and I'd have to figure a way out and still save face. This all sounds really stupid to me now. I really don't like them so much anymore.
There's truth that lives
And truth that dies
I don't know which
So never mind - Leonard Cohen
Reply | Threaded
|

Noah John
In reply to this post by Adk Jeff
Jeff, I can't do this.  When and if the light bulb ever goes on for you, let me know.  If snoloco ever tells me that I really offended him with that silly comment than we'll talk.  But so far it's just a bunch of uptight old dudes who take themselves way too seriously.  Unfortunately, at this point, that appears to include you.
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
In reply to this post by Noah John
Noah John wrote
Theodore Cleaver:  "Gee Dad, nobody goes over to Whitey's house too much anymore, on-a-count-a, his Father's all the time hittin' him."

That was funny.  It was funny 50 years ago and it still is.

"On-a-count-a" is funny too.  Damn that show was funny.
Fred Rutherford : "Have to keep a firm hand on the boys nowadays,Ward, My Clarence answered me back the other day, I smacked him right in the mouth. None of this psychology for me.
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.
Reply | Threaded
|

Noah John
freeheeln wrote
Noah John wrote
Theodore Cleaver:  "Gee Dad, nobody goes over to Whitey's house too much anymore, on-a-count-a, his Father's all the time hittin' him."

That was funny.  It was funny 50 years ago and it still is.

"On-a-count-a" is funny too.  Damn that show was funny.
Fred Rutherford : "Have to keep a firm hand on the boys nowadays,Ward, My Clarence answered me back the other day, I smacked him right in the mouth. None of this psychology for me.
  Yeah sure, that's not funny at all!  

Every time I see that show's on I have to watch it.  Classic!
Reply | Threaded
|

Noah John
In reply to this post by Highpeaksdrifter
Reply | Threaded
|

Michaeltokyo
This post was updated on .
Best troll thread since Lingerlonger was here a couple years ago.
Reply | Threaded
|

Chris@GORE
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
Noah John wrote
If snoloco ever tells me that I really offended him with that silly comment than we'll talk.  
Since that’s as close to an apology or retraction as we’ll ever see, I’m happy to move on.  I’ve said my piece, and if you haven’t said yours in twenty-something posts, Noah, then God help us all.

x10003q wrote
Your lack of respect for Harvey is quite obvious and rude in my opinion. Why did you call him out on enforcement of his rules? Because he is not enforcing them the way you want?  I don't think YOU are following rule #1.
We need to remember we are in Harvey's House. He will enforce `his rules as he sees fit. I would guess he doesn't really need your advice.
As for X’s laughable suggestion that Harvey is somehow above reproach and immune from challenge, well that’s just ridiculous.  I’ll defend an important principle whether it’s against Harvey, the President of the United States or the Pope.  If nothing else, at least X has shown himself to be the loyal Harvey lapdog that I always suspected.

Back to skiing for me.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Wholly crap ! DD is right again !!! A Wild West, no holds barred snark fest !!!

So X, it's not ok to MERELY question Harv in his self styled Wild West House BUT it's ok to tell the venerable, loved by all(though somewhat old guy), who is also a forum moderator, the great SBR to " Fuck Off " ?

I didn't hear any of your Yip Yip Yippin when that happened. Where you still on your leash ?

Instead you wrote this " The FU is actually quite funny. The normally wordy and glib Noah John had no better retort. "

Interesting set of values X.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
In reply to this post by Adk Jeff
Since the consensus seems to be that my reply to Noah's "offhand" post started the subsequent schmozzle, I suppose I should elaborate on why I was upset by it. When I originally responded to Noah's comment suggesting Snoloco's Dad was "not hitting him enough," I really didn't think that any explanation for being outraged would be required. Apparently I was naive in this assumption.

Like many of you, I also grew up in the era of Leave it to Beaver. But I haven't watched that show in over 40 years and didn't get the reference. My bad, I guess. Besides that, I don't live in that era anymore; I would like to think that our society has grown up a bit since then. In bygone eras, it was okay to own slaves but I hope you will all agree that we have moved beyond that. In Leave it to Beaver's era, it was socially acceptable to drive drunk. Not anymore - times change.

In the era I live in, violence is not cool. It is NOT okay to hit your kid, your wife, girlfriend, boyfriend or anyone else, for that matter. It is not okay to hit your dog. As well as being abhorrent, child abuse is against the law but, sadly, it is a big problem in our society. Making jokes about abuse simply perpetuates the culture that accepts it. The fact that such a joke can be accepted by many as an offhand remark, or even as funny, is disturbing to me. If that makes me white and uptight, so be it.

I am impressed that Snoloco is continuing to post in the forum. I have no doubt that he has read the thread and wonder what he thinks about these grown-ups gnashing their teeth on-line. But you know what I really wonder about - what would Snoloco's dad think about Noah's now famous comment?
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Sick Bird Rider wrote
I am impressed that Snoloco is continuing to post in the forum. I have no doubt that he has read the thread and wonder what he thinks about these grown-ups gnashing their teeth on-line.
He probably thinks it's typical internet. This thread, as annoying, dumb, and pointless as it is, is way more informational and restrained that the typical comment thread on any news story having to do with politics, race, or religion.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
In reply to this post by Snowballs

Lots more comments from the mute guy.

Here's the thing, Noah. You think this board is your basement where you can say what you want to your buddies and people that "get you". It isn't that, it's not Cheers, and it's not some black and white show that only you and your tiny posse of boomer dinosaurs know about. It's Harvey's board, and as far as I can tell, it's about skiing. I've watched you chase away other people in the past that have come here with an enthusiasm for skiing, and I think it's bullshit and not acceptable.

There is no ulterior motive here. You made a stupid comment to a kid and got called out. I don't care what you say to whomever in your home. If they like your jokes, great, because they're stuck with you.

If you think I have any other axe to grind, you're wrong. But that doesn't make the joke funny, sensible, or the right thing to post.

Reply | Threaded
|

DackerDan
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Reply | Threaded
|

Noah John
Hahah!  The mouthbreathers are always looking for any excuse to wave the flag.  WTF does that have to do with any of this?

SBR - you're a really strange old dude.  Slavery?  What?  This has nothing to do with you being a more progressive thinker than anyone else.  This is about you needing to act like you are.

Harvey, this is a fucking freak show you've created here - perhaps not intentionally.  And I have a sneaking feeling that you know it.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
Noah gets ready to take it to Level 4:

Larger version, if you are old and blind like me:
http://www.systemcomic.com/2011/08/03/so-youre-mad-about-something-on-the-internet/
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

Face4Me
It's time ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Qe3HBqFhTU
It's easy to be against something ... It's hard to be for something!
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
In reply to this post by Noah John
Noah John wrote
 Harvey, this is a fucking freak show you've created here
Absolutely. I'm very active year round on three other forums, all of which have many, many more members than this one.

Way more people. Way more posting.

They never, repeat never have any of this nonsense on them.

Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Snowballs wrote
I'm very active year round on three other forums, all of which have many, many more members than this one.

Way more people. Way more posting.

They never, repeat never have any of this nonsense on them.
This is comical when you consider the source.

Also somewhat humorous that two of the biggest whiners about rule enforcement would have been banned long ago if we stuck to the strictest interpretation of the rules.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
In reply to this post by Michaeltokyo
Michaeltokyo wrote
Best troll thread since Lingerlonger was here a couple years ago.  
lingerlonger almost made me cry
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.
1 ... 3456