classic Classic
167 messages Options
12345 ... 17
Reply |  

Re: The new middle

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote
No what's bullshit is every time you don't agree with something you say it's bullshit.
The part that's bullshit is this: there is no groundswell for a moderate party full of people in the "middle". If there was, there would be one, and one would have electoral success. The Independent Party, the Reform Party, the Libertarians... Why can't they win anything?

Last year was the perfect chance for a 3rd party to take a significant bite out of the two party system. Nobody liked the major party candidates. But the Libertarian and Green Party candidates were jokes. They couldn't even qualify for the debates!

Here's people's political affiliations:

Where in that graph do you see a spot for a 3rd party?

Reply |  

Harvey
Admin
^Wow.  I mean I thought so to some extent, but wow.

Any graphics on how this has changed over time?

With no data at all: I blame cable.

"If it's my mountain, I'm installing a fixed grip and telling the lifties to stuff the beginners into chairs as aggressively as they have to to keep it going full speed." —Brownski
Reply |  

Brownski
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
You get points for being succinct this time; where did you find this graph?

Reply |  

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Harvey
Reply |  

campgottagopee
I'm assuming there's color in your graph. I'm colorblind so it makes no sense to me

Reply |  

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by Brownski
Brownski wrote
You get points for being succinct this time; where did you find this graph?
http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2017/06/new-study-shows-what-really-happened-in-the-2016-election.html

Harvey wrote
Any graphics on how this has changed over time?.
Not that graph, specifically, but here's one of Congressional members voting records. I blame gerrymandering for this one (if Congressional members aren't beholden to critique from both sides, they can feel free to go as far left or far right as they want, and their only competition comes from primary opponents that might go even further to the extreme):

(The dark clouds represent how often congresspeople crossed party lines to vote for the other party's bills)

Z
Reply |  

Z
Its hard for Matt to see a middle because he is so far into the blue its pitch black and he can't see anything but his own view point.

"It is better to go skiing and think of God, than go to church and think of sport."
Artic Explorer Fridtjof Nansen
Reply |  

MC2 5678F589
Answer my questions, Coach:

Are you for Trump restarting Keystone XL?
Are you happy with Trump's Muslim Ban?
Are you happy with increased deportations of immigrants under Trump's ICE?
Are you happy with Trump picking Gorsuch as a Supreme Court pick, and are you glad that the GOP blocked Garland?
Are you happy that Trump is kicking a bunch of people off of Medicaid so that taxes on rich people (and medical device makers) can be lowered?
Are you looking forward to GOP tax reform?

My hunch is that you approve of everything that Trump is doing, you just wish that he wasn't so petulant, corrupt, and bombastic. You're fine with the dinner, you just want the chef to carry himself better.

Reply |  

ScottyJack
🍿  anyone

"True Grit is like a river.  The deeper it runs, the less noise it makes."
Reply |  

tjf1967
Keystone yes
Muslim ban no
Increase deportation. Yes with more 💘
Repeal aca no, not to say it's good the way it is.
Supreme Court pick fine
Now jump up and down.

12345 ... 17