Today's Hike

145 messages Options
12345 ... 15
MC2 5678F589 MC2 5678F589
Reply |
Open this post in threaded view

Re: Today's Hike

Breakneck ridge. Was just down there for work, looking at some rock. Pic from my short weekend hike:

JTG4eva! JTG4eva!
Reply |

Yup, Breakneck.  Not a difficult answer for anyone who has been.  Storm King is the prominent bulge across the river in many of the pics, and Bannerman's Island is a clear giveaway as well.  Breakneck Ridge truly is an incredible hike.  
Adk Jeff Adk Jeff
Reply |

Matt... Mount Baker in Saranac Lake ^^^

Our family hike yesterday (actually just me & the kids, Beth was doing the Tour de Cure ride):

Full-size image

The hike included a pretty awesome spelunking adventure:

Trip report and more photos here.
Skiray Skiray
Reply |

Talk about an adventure. I have never done any caving.. Well, I can't say that entirely. I think there is enough for me to see outside :).

Where are you hiking this weekend?

The family that skis together, stays together.

AlbaAdventures.com
Adk Jeff Adk Jeff
Reply |

Thanks Ray... not sure exactly where yet this weekend, but somewhere in the ADKs.  If my kids had there way we'd be going deeper in Eagle Cave.  We'll definitely be going back there this summer.
Adk Jeff Adk Jeff
Reply |

Another weekend of superb hiking weather.  This is from Sunday (yesterday).  The front-side view from this fire tower is what everyone climbs this mountain for, but I think the view off the back side is pretty great too:

Full size
nepa nepa
Reply |

At Mount Rainier National Park on the Muir Snowfield yesterday.  There are several spots in this area that offer year round skiing.  Variable weather over the past several weeks resulted in poor snow conditions.  The ascent to Camp Muir was really fun.  The descent back to the car was survival skiing on August sized sun cups.  It was a bumpy ride down on the snow to say the least.  If you are looking to earn some Summer turns this is a straight forward option.  MRNP is a shortish drive from Seattle.  The Muir Snowfield hike can be done as a day trip from Seattle or there is lodging at Paradise.  Even if you don't bring snow-gear, the scenery down low is absolutely amazing.

A few shots from the day

A pretty straight forward carry up to the snow (about 1.5 hours hiking)

Local Marmot

On the Snow

Camp Muir (~10K)
JasonWx JasonWx
Reply |

Wow the snow starts above Pebble Creek..Last July there was snow just above the paved  section out of Paradise ..
Love the last shot. Muir looks like you reach out and touch it.. Still so far away..
"Peace and Love"
Skiray Skiray
Reply |

Curious to know why it was survival mode? Did the snow not give into the turns, was it due to exposure or crevices?  From the pics that ADK Jeff posted, you can see we are full on summer here now.

Lovely shots and great TR.
The family that skis together, stays together.

AlbaAdventures.com
nepa nepa
Reply |

In reply to this post by JasonWx
JasonWx wrote
Wow the snow starts above Pebble Creek..Last July there was snow just above the paved  section out of Paradise
Yup.  It melted out very fast this year.  Last year in June, we skinned right from the parking lot.  There was still about 60 inches of snow at paradise on June 1st.
12345 ... 15