122 messages Options
1 ... 910111213
Sick Bird Rider Sick Bird Rider
Reply |
Open this post in threaded view

Re: Today's paddle

Brownski wrote
That is a beautiful boat, SBR. Keep it nice
Thanks, B. One of the great things about wood-canvas canoes is that with a little bit of care, they will last indefinitely. All the parts are replaceable, assuming that you can find cedar and bend a rib.

If you are interested in this type of canoe, check out the Wooden Canoe Heritage Association.

Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Brownski Brownski
Reply |

That's very cool but truth be told, I can't be trusted with anything but a plastic boat. I'm hard on my stuff- can't have nice things.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply |

We were back on the Big East River yesterday, doing a new-to-us section. Blue Toes, myself, our friend Matt from Scotland and Utah the Wonder Dog enjoyed a two hour paddle upstream to the Big Bend, with a 30 minute journey back. The paddling was lovely but we got chewed by blackflies. Ugh.

Sand + dog = manic digging, even with a PFD on.

After a steady and slow upstream paddle, we arrived at Big Bend, a very cool feature on the river. Matt is paddling my Blackhawk Zephyr, a "vintage" solo canoe from the late 1980s.

Photo op of a photo op:

Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Brownski Brownski
Reply |

Keep em coming SBR. I love it. Me and junior finally got out last Saturday.
Brownski Brownski
Reply |

I've been looking for put-ins to explore Long Island sound around Westchester. This particular spot won't work but I'm gonna have to find my way back here once I figure out where to launch- thought I'd share the view. Blue sky & water and natural green is soothing

Brownski Brownski
Reply |

Never really thought of this because my boats are stored on a wooden rack in my backyard but apparently kayaks getting washed out by the tide is a big problem for the Coast Guard.

https://paddling.com/learn/unmanned-kayaks-costing-billions/
Brownski Brownski
Reply |

Brownski wrote
Never really thought of this because my boats are stored on a wooden rack in my backyard but apparently kayaks getting washed out by the tide is a big problem for the Coast Guard.

I guess it’s true. My wife just showed me this...

Reply |

Brownski wrote

Brownski, you should brush up on the laws of maritime salvage, get yourself a little motorboat and a tow rope, and go into the used kayak business. Could be a lucrative little side project.
Brownski Brownski
Reply |

A good idea for junior I think. I’ll work on it
Reply |

I spent yesterday afternoon with this sexy thing. Still paying for it. More later:

1 ... 910111213