40 messages Options
Z
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Too Many Lost Ski Areas.

Z
I recall driving past Bobcat when I stayed in Andes in a race at Bellerye
Looked like it had the most potential from any closed area I've seen except for Tupper
Problem is it's in the middle if nowhere and quite a bit farther from NYC/ NJ than the other Catskill areas.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Thehof
I really miss Bobcat. We where there the last season 2005 and years before. My wife really enjoyed skiing there cause it wasn't as steep as Platty which is where we call home now. Snow making is what would be needed as well as an advertising campaign like non other to get the hill off the ground. Millions. It's a sad realization that Bobcat is gone for good , but it is what it is.
The business of skiing is evolving in the Catskills to my dismay. I remember other hills like Scotch Valley,Andes ski center,and the other one near Hunter. We must take advantage of what's left and help promote the sport to make it last.
"No Falls=No Bslls
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Do any of you guys who are Bobcat veterans think it could be a candidate to be turned into a private club to be operated in the same way as Mount Greylock Ski Club?
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Thehof
It would take big$$$$$$
Their are some of the Bobcat vets that hang around Platty now. I've benn introduced to them,but sadly don't remember who they are now some many years later.
It would be like starting from scratch. I doubt any of the buildings or trails have been maintained.
"No Falls=No Bslls
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Thehof wrote
Their are some of the Bobcat vets that hang around Platty now.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BAZ_VdxFsd1/?taken-by=nyskiblog

(follow NYSB on Instagram!)
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Thehof
Sorry Harv
I believe the bobcat ski and kayak club is out of Port Jervis.
I did think like you so I asked one of those hat wearing fellas a few years back.
"No Falls=No Bslls
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Bro is a Platty skier who skied Bobcat back in the day.
Reply | Threaded
|

Thehof
My apologies
I must have a different cat hat wearing dude.
"No Falls=No Bslls
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
No you are right about the hat, just saying he was a Bobcat skier.
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
In reply to this post by Peter Minde
Peter Minde wrote
@ Raising Arizona, that little place in Rockaway was Craigmeur, it's like 10 miles from where I live.  When the opened, they also had a ski jump, but it burned down.
This is a picture of me from 1966 at Craigmeur with the ski jump in the background.

Peter Minde wrote
Below is a photo of one of the trails at the Snow Bowl in Jefferson NJ.  Open for a few years in the 1970s, it closed due to uncooperative weather.  I used to train there regularly.

When I was in middle school we skied at Snow Bowl on Wednesdays after school. I also skied there quite a bit with my parents.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
That's awesome! I instructed there in 92.
Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Minde
The Snow Bowl has it's own Facebook page.  For people with AT or tele gear who want to ski there.  Kind of like the local version of the Thunderbolt.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
In reply to this post by ka2kci
ka2kci wrote
  Maybe we could start a "Go Fund Me" page and raise enough money to purchase it.  I vote for Ethan to be the general manager and the NY Ski Forum membders could supply help to get this place back on its feet again.  A sad loss to the NYS Ski Community.  
As Coach said, I would be concerned about the fact that it really is in the middle of nowhere. Not for me, but for most of the people in the state, it is just hard to get to. Also, most if not all the locals in the area already call either Plattekill or Belleayre their home mountain. Most of the locals I know in Delhi just 10 minutes from Andes call Belleayre their home mountain. Would they really want to ski at Bobcat instead? Maybe they would rather drive 10 minutes as opposed to 40 minutes. still, that number is not very big.

Point is, Even if all the locals started skiing at Bobcat, I still don't think it would be enough. If you can convince NY Metro to drive the extra difference, now you're competing with Plattekill, and I'm not sure that's going to work well either. Might end up running both places into the ground.
I'll take boilerplate ice over wet snow any day
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Hey Ethan, do you know what the current legal/ landowner status of Bobcat is?
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
I don't know actually. I think it's technically in the town of Andes. I could stop in the Andes town hall, or maybe the Delaware County Clerk at the government offices in Delhi. What would I say to them without sounding sketchy?
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
You're young.  Throw a bunch of tech words at them.....blog, vlog, text, instagram, social media engineering, quality control for geo-spatial research....y'know, baffle them with bullshit.
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
Maybe I'll start talking about PLCs, welding lingo, and GD&T. That'll be sure to impress them.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by Ethan Snow
tell them you represent some people interesting in buying it and starting it back up - the town should fall all over itself getting you the info
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
Coach Z wrote
tell them you represent some people interesting in buying it and starting it back up - the town should fall all over itself getting you the info
Lmao. Ok, I'll stop by one of these days.
Reply | Threaded
|

TomCat
Land ownership is part of the public record. That info should be easily obtainable. Of course if the owner is XYZ LLC then that may be all you can get.

tom