Quantcast

Too Many Lost Ski Areas.

classic Classic
40 messages Options
Reply |  

Re: Too Many Lost Ski Areas.

raisingarizona
In reply to this post by x10003q
That's awesome! I instructed there in 92.

Reply |  

Peter Minde
The Snow Bowl has it's own Facebook page.  For people with AT or tele gear who want to ski there.  Kind of like the local version of the Thunderbolt.

Reply |  

Ethan Snow
In reply to this post by ka2kci
ka2kci wrote
  Maybe we could start a "Go Fund Me" page and raise enough money to purchase it.  I vote for Ethan to be the general manager and the NY Ski Forum membders could supply help to get this place back on its feet again.  A sad loss to the NYS Ski Community.  
As Coach said, I would be concerned about the fact that it really is in the middle of nowhere. Not for me, but for most of the people in the state, it is just hard to get to. Also, most if not all the locals in the area already call either Plattekill or Belleayre their home mountain. Most of the locals I know in Delhi just 10 minutes from Andes call Belleayre their home mountain. Would they really want to ski at Bobcat instead? Maybe they would rather drive 10 minutes as opposed to 40 minutes. still, that number is not very big.

Point is, Even if all the locals started skiing at Bobcat, I still don't think it would be enough. If you can convince NY Metro to drive the extra difference, now you're competing with Plattekill, and I'm not sure that's going to work well either. Might end up running both places into the ground.

Reply |  

Brownski
Hey Ethan, do you know what the current legal/ landowner status of Bobcat is?

Reply |  

Ethan Snow
I don't know actually. I think it's technically in the town of Andes. I could stop in the Andes town hall, or maybe the Delaware County Clerk at the government offices in Delhi. What would I say to them without sounding sketchy?

Reply |  

D.B. Cooper
You're young.  Throw a bunch of tech words at them.....blog, vlog, text, instagram, social media engineering, quality control for geo-spatial research....y'know, baffle them with bullshit.

Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply |  

Ethan Snow
Maybe I'll start talking about PLCs, welding lingo, and GD&T. That'll be sure to impress them.

Reply |  

Coach Z
In reply to this post by Ethan Snow
tell them you represent some people interesting in buying it and starting it back up - the town should fall all over itself getting you the info

"It is better to go skiing and think of God, than go to church and think of sport."
Artic Explorer Fridtjof Nansen
Reply |  

Ethan Snow
Coach Z wrote
tell them you represent some people interesting in buying it and starting it back up - the town should fall all over itself getting you the info
Lmao. Ok, I'll stop by one of these days.

Reply |  

TomCat
Land ownership is part of the public record. That info should be easily obtainable. Of course if the owner is XYZ LLC then that may be all you can get.

tom