Trump 6... The Daily Drip

classic Classic
730 messages Options
1234 ... 73
Reply |  

Trump 6... The Daily Drip

Johnnyonthespot
campgottagopee wrote
Right on bro For this Memorial  Day Weekend I thought it would be appropriate to remind everyone that no matter what our political differences are there is a common bond.
QFT

Reply |  

Re: Trump 6... The Daily Drip

Harvey
Admin
While we are considering (?) exiting the Paris climate agreement, the Chinese are investing 360 billion in renewables over the next 3 years.  Instead of selling the future to the world, looks like we be buying it from them.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/05/world/asia/china-renewable-energy-investment.html

"If it's my mountain, I'm installing a fixed grip and telling the lifties to stuff the beginners into chairs as aggressively as they have to to keep it going full speed." —Brownski
Reply |  

raisingarizona
So winning. What an asshole

Reply |  

Harvey
Admin

"If it's my mountain, I'm installing a fixed grip and telling the lifties to stuff the beginners into chairs as aggressively as they have to to keep it going full speed." —Brownski
Reply |  

PeeTex
In reply to this post by Harvey
And where do the solar panels and all of the electronics for renewables come from now?
You guessed it, China. We already taught them how to do it when Mr O was POTUS.

Reply |  

Harvey
Admin
I was talking to my nerd-physicist dad last night. Not surprisingly he believes that research, and especially government funded research, is crucial to invent the future.  He asked me three questions.  I didn't know the answers, but I thought PeeTex might know:

When did research into quantum physics begin?
How many years passed before that study had any practical application in our economy?
How much of our economy is now based on that work?

Reply |  

jjp24
I was taught that quantum physics "began" with the Planck solution to the Ultraviolet catastrophe in 1900. The major development of quantum theory took place in the 1920s and 30s. Someone else can probably answer the next two questions better than me. I think quantum might become much more important to our economy once more progress is made in quantum computing.

Reply |  

PeeTex
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
When did research into quantum physics begin?
How many years passed before that study had any practical application in our economy?
How much of our economy is now based on that work?
I really don't think you want the answer to these questions as the are "Google-able".
Rather you are looking for an opinion on how much money should be spent on basic research and what the value is.

Reply |  

Harvey
Admin
I didn't google it.  They way he said it I assumed the answers were:

A long time ago
Many years
A lot

My dad was saying that research and scientific advancement were valued for their own sake.  He was trying to make the point that just because alternatives are "expensive" now doesn't mean they shouldn't be pursued.

Reply |  

D.B. Cooper
Those are good questions.  I think at some point that research needs to be turned over to the private sector to create new industries.  Successful examples in my head are GPS stuff* and the internet.  Flight, satellite communications might be in there, too.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if quantum physics, along with the things I listed, had their origins in defence.  Certainly other things, like nuclear power, the Jeep (probably 4WD in general), women in the workforce and the popularization of the t-shirt had their origins in WWII.

*the word "stuff" used to irritate and hardcore scientists who might read this.

Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
1234 ... 73