Vail Resorts to Buy Stowe

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
64 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Vail Resorts to Buy Stowe

riverc0il
The problem with boundary to boundary numbers in the east is that most tree acres are not actually skiable unless they are maintained (and maintained OB lines tend to be narrow lines vs. expansive open bowls). There are a few exceptions of natural lines in NoVT but as a rule, stuff usually needs to be maintained to be skiable. For the most part, boundary to boundary numbers are a joke because they are not all skiable acres, especially at upper elevations (thick soft woods) and lower elevations (flat schwack).
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
Sugarbush and Killinton both dropped there pass prices substantially to compete with Vail.  Smuggs went from Vail will not buy us to no comment.  If they get there hands on Smuggs they may sink Sugarbush.  The bush is a pretty expensive operation as it is and they really don't get enough skiers.  They will take a decent bite out of all mountains around them.  Vail is a pretty impressive company its fun watching their(had to edit before johnydickweed jumps me) moves.

Stowe and Smuggs one mountain can you imagine.  
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
That would be, hands down the best ski experience on the east coast.

I'd put $ on it happening.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by tjf1967
tjf1967 wrote

Stowe and Smuggs one mountain can you imagine.
When it happens it will certainly end the discussion as to who is the best on the east coast.
Reply | Threaded
|

ADmiKe
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
raisingarizona wrote
That would be, hands down the best ski experience on the east coast.
Even if they Vail-ize it and it gets crowded at shit and overbuilt etc etc.....

Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
My prediction is in 5 years or less there will only be 3 major ski resort owners
Vail / Epic - I think they will soon change their name to Epic
Boyne
Powdr

Peaks and Interwest will sell themselves off the the highest bidder.  Okemo and Smuggs are the next to get bought probably in 18 or even still this year.

Orda is going to be shit out of luck.  A couple  bad budget years and a Republician Gov in NY and we could see a amendment to lease Orda to Epic.  They would be most likely as they care the least about real estate as they bought Stowe w/o the hotel.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
If you believe the Liberal dogma, in 3 years it will be a moot point, they will be growing palm trees in Burlington
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Other side of that coin PT, Miami now has water creepin in/up into the city. Just sayin. May be nothing. Maybe it goes away.
Reply | Threaded
|

ADmiKe
I think the only solution here is that ORDA takes over Mountain Creek to battle Vail's growing EPIC takeover...

....oh shit, April fools is over.
Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life.
Reply | Threaded
|

DomB
In reply to this post by Z
Wouldn't an ORDA related lease to privates require a constitutional amendment?  Not sure of the threshold votes in the chambers or if it has to get sent to voters, but considering we haven't reliably passed state budgets with majority votes, I don't see a constitutional amendment on this any time soon.  
Reply | Threaded
|

evantful
In reply to this post by Z
Not a chance in hell.

We had a Republican Governor for 12 years if you recall, and he poured just as much money into ORDA and Belleayre as Cuomo has done now.

A republican governor of New York is going to get virtually all of his support from Upstate voters, virtually every county north of Rockland and Westchester. The backlash against turning over Whiteface, Gore and Belleayre to a private firm from upstate voters would be immense.

People (i.e. voters and politicians) like to think they are fiscal conservatives, but when push comes to shove it rarely ever pans out.

i.e. Our federal government
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
The Republican/Democrat argument we are all used to using as a prism to view the national stage does not work in NY state. For instance, Joe Bruno, who was the most powerful Republican in the state for years in the aughts, was a very good friend to the unions. No, it's all about money and power.
funny like a clown
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by DomB
DomB wrote
Wouldn't an ORDA related lease to privates require a constitutional amendment?  Not sure of the threshold votes in the chambers or if it has to get sent to voters, but considering we haven't reliably passed state budgets with majority votes, I don't see a constitutional amendment on this any time soon.
That amendment created Orda and set its max sizes.  If Orda decides to lease its operation to a private concern same as they do with Centerplate I don't think it needs to be amended.  Can't sell though.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
No big surprise but Stowe is officially on the Epic Pass now
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
Brownski wrote
No big surprise but Stowe is officially on the Epic Pass now
Epic unlimited pass inlcuding Stowe - $895.
Yikes!!

https://www.snow.com/epic-pass/passes.aspx
Reply | Threaded
|

Hoser
So...I can buy a Local Epic pass for $639 that includes 10 days at Stowe.....paying a bit more than half per day then window price this past season.  Sounds real good, until realizing that thousands of people of the East Coast are saying the same thing.  Now I really wont be skiing Stowe again....too bad...for another reason other than price.  I can now afford to wait in line however.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Just go to Smuggs^^^^

It's way cooler to begin with
Reply | Threaded
|

Hoser
Definitely Smuggs is high on next winters list.  Hit Jay and Sutton this year.  Not sure if Bolton or Burke worth visiting...thoughts?  As reference, Gore and WF are home hills.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Hit Smuggs before they get assimulated.  It's only a matter of time and lots of money getting thrown at them.  
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Vail Resorts, Inc. (MTN) released third-quarter results for its fiscal year 2017 on Thursday. Total lift revenue jumped 25.3% to $84.9 million during the quarter, while ski school revenue and retail/rental revenue contributed $17.4 million and $22.7 million, respectively. Total net revenue increased 22.7% year-over-year to $794.6 million, which fell short of analysts' estimates for $801.56 million. Net income rose nearly 15% year-over-year to $181.1 million, or $4.40 per share, also missing estimates for $4.82 per share.

Vail Resorts also announced that it will pay a dividend of $1.05 per share on July 13. Shareholders of record on June 28 will receive the dividend payment. The company also reported this week that it completed its acquisition of Stowe Mountain Resort in Vermont. Vail Resorts purchased Stowe for $41 million. This is the company's first ski resort on the East Coast.