Whiteface - Lookout Mountain...estimated opening?

classic Classic
417 messages Options
12345 ... 42
Reply |  

Re: Whiteface - Lookout Mountain...estimated opening?

JasonWx
In reply to this post by DCskibum
Gotcha...

"Peace and Love"
Reply |  

freeheeln
In reply to this post by snoloco
snoloco wrote
 Killington   It is the best mountain on the east coast IMO.  
i thought mt crick was, and you cant count tomorrow as a ski day yet!

Reply |  

snoloco
Still no snowmaking on Wilmington even though temps are cold now.  If they don't start on it soon, then it might not open at all this year.

I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply |  

pro2860
How do you come to this conclusion? Has there ever been a season where it never opened?

Reply |  

snoloco
I seem to remember that in the 11/12 non winter it opened on 1/21.  They have a boatload of resurfacing to do before they even attempt Lookout.  When this finally happens, it may open by 1/25 at the earliest.  This proves that this season is worse than 11/12.  Then they need to blow Hoyt's and Lookout Below which will take even longer.  Once February comes, most mountains stop expanding and only resurface.  This is how I came to this conclusion

I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply |  

gorgonzola
Kid you gotta lighten up - starting to think nj or whoever was right....

Reply |  

ausable skier
At this point and until it actually start really snowing I would say they should not even think of blowing Wilmington Trail.  It just takes too much resources for a so-so trail that easily gets skied off.  So many more trails need snow that are much better skiing.  That trail also sucks up Patrol resources to put up and maintain nets that are not going to really stop anyone from going over the edge of the narrow sections.

Before you bash me would you rather have Upper and Lower Mac open or Wilmington trail?  Well they can blow all of Mac plus upper and lower Skyward with less snow than it takes to open Wilmington trail.  The way things are going what is really important?  Lookout just is not.

While I'm on this subject the 20+ foot whales blown on Brookside are a huge waste of snow when that snow is needed so many other places.  The park is way less important than the main arteries of the ski area especially with a Holiday weekend upon us.  Terrible decison there by management.

Reply |  

Highpeaksdrifter
In reply to this post by pro2860
pro2860 wrote
How do you come to this conclusion? Has there ever been a season where it never opened?
I'll bet you a beer that when you and the Cortland crew get here it will be open.
I got a good feeling...just sayin

There's truth that lives
And truth that dies
I don't know which
So never mind - Leonard Cohen
Reply |  

Highpeaksdrifter
In reply to this post by snoloco
snoloco wrote
I seem to remember that in the 11/12 non winter it opened on 1/21.  They have a boatload of resurfacing to do before they even attempt Lookout.  When this finally happens, it may open by 1/25 at the earliest.  This proves that this season is worse than 11/12.  Then they need to blow Hoyt's and Lookout Below which will take even longer.  Once February comes, most mountains stop expanding and only resurface.  This is how I came to this conclusion
Young dude be careful, folks gonna start calling you Little Benny.

There's truth that lives
And truth that dies
I don't know which
Reply |  

Highpeaksdrifter
In reply to this post by ausable skier
ausable skier wrote
At this point and until it actually start really snowing I would say they should not even think of blowing Wilmington Trail.  It just takes too much resources for a so-so trail that easily gets skied off.  So many more trails need snow that are much better skiing.  That trail also sucks up Patrol resources to put up and maintain nets that are not going to really stop anyone from going over the edge of the narrow sections.

Before you bash me would you rather have Upper and Lower Mac open or Wilmington trail?  Well they can blow all of Mac plus upper and lower Skyward with less snow than it takes to open Wilmington trail.  The way things are going what is really important?  Lookout just is not.

While I'm on this subject the 20+ foot whales blown on Brookside are a huge waste of snow when that snow is needed so many other places.  The park is way less important than the main arteries of the ski area especially with a Holiday weekend upon us.  Terrible decison there by management.
You're entitled to your opinions so no bashin from me. I just want to know how many times are you going to quit this forum forever and then come back?

There's truth that lives
And truth that dies
I don't know which
12345 ... 42