classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
38 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Whiteface, NY: 4/9/11 (The Slides)

skimore
desovitch wrote
Went to Whiteface on Saturday and I have a few comments.  Second time there and the slides are fantistic. But...

My first trip out at just before 11 was  to 4. There were 40 to 50  people  CRAWLING to get there. OK  I can wait.
Get to the top of the 4  and the same 40-50 people were  SURVIVAL  CRAWLING DOWN, not 1 person had the skills to actually SKI DOWN.  While it is a narrow trail towards the bottom, there is enough space for a skilled skier to make it post the people WHO COULD NOT SKI  IT DOWN.  Now this is to the ahole  who screamed at me and my 5 friends  SKIING WITH LINKED TURNS PAST HER. She told me to slow down and screamed that I could not ski that fast on this trail. I CURSED HER OUT USING THE F BOMB  TO IS MAX EFFECT. I told her to get the F off the trail she had no business being there.  I realize that everyone has the RIGHT  to go there but you also need the SKILLS!!!
At the bottom of slide out I was fuming that there were that many unqualified skiers there and a female patrol overheard me.  I asked why there was no patrolman at the top to limit, at least the quanity  of people, if not the quality. she said ther usually is. To top it off the slides closed at 1:10 beacuse someone got hurt skiing an area over there   head. Will neve go on a Saturday ever again.
What did you expect? Go where this is not a problem. There were plenty of slides in the ADK this weekend that weren't crowded

Reply | Threaded
|

desovitch
In reply to this post by Highpeaksdrifter
If I had stopped at each person who shouldn't have been there I would never have gotten down. I would rather have shoved her aside to leave more room for everyone else.  I actually came within a few seconds of pushing her and her male friend off the trail.  Also maybe you shopuldn't drag 10-12 year olds with limtied experience down.  The next stop  at the small (4-5 foot) waterfall was actually worse. There was someone at the bottom waving their  4 friends stuck at the top. I pushed my way through and did the VERY small jump with no problem. The look of fear on the eyes of the people looking at us was awesome. The nerve of someone on a DOUBLE BLACK DIAMOND TELLING US TO SLOW DOWN was just incredible. There are many area MARKED for slow skiing which I always respect. That is there part of the mountain. Next time I go I bring my hockey pads.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Whiteface, NY: 4/9/11

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey44 wrote
HPD ... as requested...

I must say that Highpeaksdrifter takes the concept of "Mountain Host" to another level. 

Thanks HPD for all your time and energy on Saturday. It was a great great ski day.
Mountain Host of the Year for sure....he took time out of his day for our crew when we were up there in March, glad you got the chance to hook up. Great report, BTW.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by skimore
Excellent response, skimore . . .
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
In reply to this post by desovitch
desovitch wrote
If I had stopped at each person who shouldn't have been there I would never have gotten down. I would rather have shoved her aside to leave more room for everyone else.  I actually came within a few seconds of pushing her and her male friend off the trail.  Also maybe you shopuldn't drag 10-12 year olds with limtied experience down.  The next stop  at the small (4-5 foot) waterfall was actually worse. There was someone at the bottom waving their  4 friends stuck at the top. I pushed my way through and did the VERY small jump with no problem. The look of fear on the eyes of the people looking at us was awesome. The nerve of someone on a DOUBLE BLACK DIAMOND TELLING US TO SLOW DOWN was just incredible. There are many area MARKED for slow skiing which I always respect. That is there part of the mountain. Next time I go I bring my hockey pads.
Did you not hone your superior skills by attempting some challenging terrain at some point?
Reply | Threaded
|

desovitch
Of course. But within reason. The people I saw were not up to even thinking about trying this slope.   And I would never drag a 10 year old or someone who only skis groomers  up there.  This is not the next level and it is not a great place to go and learn. There are other flatter tree trails etc to get better on.    When I did try more challenging stuff I certanly did'nt tell any one else to slow down. Look Skimore,its very cool you skied the BC that day, I'm a big slackcountry guy  and have done  it myself in Stowe,Jay, Sugarloaf, Teluride,silverton, Revelstoke, Mt Baker,Jackson  whenever I needed too (more fresh outside the boundries then in it). But you can't defend people getting in that far over there heads. Just looking at the mess ski patrol had to deal with trying to get a woman of off  3.
Reply | Threaded
|

Face4Me
In one regard, you're absolutely right. It's hard to defend someone who gets themselves in over their heads, particularly in a situation like the Slides at Whiteface. It's one thing if someone inadvertently strays onto a trail they can't handle, but the Slides are obviously, and clearly intended for those with advanced skills.

That said, I'd also have to go with HPD on this one ...

HighPeaksDrifter wrote
Also the woman who yelled at you was probably just scared cause she knew she was in way over her head. Maybe if you had stopped and asked her if there was anything you could do to help her it would have made you both feel better about the run. IMO sometimes you have to put yourself in the other persons boots before you start dropping F bombs.
I ski at Whiteface regularly, and I don't think there's a Saturday or Sunday I can remember where I didn't see at least one incident of people skiing trails they had no business being on. In most cases, I'll usually stop and offer help to get them down the trail. I can't count the number of times I've carried a pair of skis down so Joey Pocono can walk down a trail. Think of it as a public service ... at least the next guy down won't have to deal with them.

Besides, rather than getting angry about it, I usually ski away laughing at the stupidity of the situation, and it makes for a good story at the end of the day.

You're dealing with human beings ... you're going to encounter stupid, rude and inconsiderate people wherever you go ... no point in being one of them yourself! Cheers!!!
It's easy to be against something ... It's hard to be for something!
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
In reply to this post by desovitch
You expected an exclusive slide skiing experience on a warm spring weekend on something that is rarely open? really

And whats the proper way to determine if someone should be skiing there? You state a 10 yr should never be in there. I know few that age that can give anyone a run for their money

Oh, its nice you had enjoyment in seeing someone in fear

Reply | Threaded
|

riverc0il
In reply to this post by riverc0il
Well, that was a fun diversion. Here is to never getting in over your head and never developing better skills due to trial by fire. I think we have all been "that guy" in over our heads at some point.

I edited my original post to include a link to my full (and rather detailed) report.
Reply | Threaded
|

Denis.N
riverc0il wrote
I edited my original post to include a link to my full (and rather detailed) report.
3166' vertical? Didn't you hike up the slides?

Bear as a parking lot? What's the next one, slope-side condos?
Reply | Threaded
|

riverc0il
Denis.N wrote
3166' vertical? Didn't you hike up the slides?
You jest, right? Surely, you meant side step up to the slides rather than hike? The vertical difference on the trail map between the top of the Summit Quad and the Slides entrance is laughably inaccurate unless you take your skis off and boot it once you get to the first slide. Do you really think you side step up 264 vertical feet to get to the Slides from the Summit Quad? Where I ski, we call that a traverse. Not an imaginary 264' stat padder.

Okay, fair is fair. 3210' total vert. Okay?
Reply | Threaded
|

Denis.N
You're right. That traverse cannot be that much higher for 3430" vertical, one would have to hike further. When we were there Saturday I saw the tracks going higher up Slide 1 though.
Reply | Threaded
|

takeahike46er
In reply to this post by riverc0il
Nice report!  Thought you provided an accurate portrayal of the hill.  Totally agree that The Wilmington Trail is a phenomenal run-- indeed a new classic.  In general, Lookout Mountain has helped diversify the mountain's terrain offerings.  Glades are still an opportunity.  Unfortunately, Whiteface is very close to its cap on miles of terrain and any addition glades or liftlines would count against its mileage according to the UMP.  (see p. 84)  While Lookout does present interesting opportunities for new off-map terrain (), Gore and the neighbors across the pond are better suited for a full day in the trees.  Whiteface's strong suit is and will always be steep, sustained groomers-- well, and the slides.  But as you found out there's enough of everything else to keep most skiers happy.
Reply | Threaded
|

desovitch
Skimo, your a bit of a self rightous prick ,huh?  I ski with a 11 year old Ranked #1 in ther east in moguls. I guess your right - he can come.  You really are minimizing the  unneccassary DANGER these people put themselves in   as well as the ski patrollers who have to rescue them.  The slides are far from not a typical expert slope. You seem to want to pick a fight- go for it.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
desovitch - I'll assume you were kidding about pushing the girl off the trail.

riverc0il wrote
Here is to never getting in over your head and never developing better skills due to trial by fire. I think we have all been "that guy" in over our heads at some point.
While it's hard to imagine River in over his head, this is a really good point.  How do "slide worthy" skiers get to that point?  If you don't ski terrain that is beyond your ability, you'll never improve.  Is there a limit to how far "over your head" is acceptable?  Who decides that?   The girl in the slides made a judgment call that sounds like it might have been a mistake.  But anytime you try to stretch yourself there is judgment involved.

I started lift-served skiing at age 40, and I knew I'd never get to be an expert if I didn't go full out.  (Twelve years later, at 52, I think I am on the verge of expert status.) The point is — I got to where I am by following experts into the trees at Gore. I'm incredibly grateful to all those skiers who waited for me at the run out, or while I tried to get rightside up after a crash.

BTW River ... great TR on TheSnowWay.com
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Gunny J
This post was updated on .
Great points given Harvey no person was ever an expert the day they planked up. You only get better with challenge many make mistakes along the way but no expert needs to feed his ego (desovitch) by tearing by already  shaken up people.  
Want to spend special time with your children, teach them to ski or snowboard. The reward will be endless!
Reply | Threaded
|

Danzilla
How about those pretty pictures skimore shared from the BC?  Thanks for sharing.  I haven't done any BC, but pics like those make me want to get better and get out there.  Those lines and fresh powder - yummy.  I haven't skied the slides so I can't speak to the situation you guys have been discussing.  However, I know for me personally I try to NEVER let myself get pissed off or worked up when I am on a hill.  Just the fact that I am there with nature and beauty all around and not somewhere else is enough for me to get in the zone with a big smile on my face.  As long as someone isn't putting me in danger or being a complete JA, I don't let other's affect my mood.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
In reply to this post by Gunny J
I'm down w/ the not feeding the ego by hating on the less fortunate..  Someone seems to have an anger management issue..  Hopefully that top ranked 11 year old didn't witness your irrational behavior.  

Judgment calls on individual skier skills is not gonna work.  Slide access should be controlled through two simple ways.  One being a longer hump in, which is very possible from both Whiteface and Lookout Mtn.  The second being beacons only.  No beacon, no access.  We skied an area this season out west where one lift was beacon only access, regardless of AVI conditions and it was awesome!  

HPD - thanks for not showing visitors our tree skiing.  You did a good job keeping them in the "only what they need to know"!  
I ride with Crazy Horse!