Wolves!

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
48 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Wolves!

campgottagopee
I don't hunt wolves/coyotes, I hunt deer. I shoot coyotes during deer season when I see them.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
campgottagopee wrote
I don't hunt wolves/coyotes, I hunt deer. I shoot coyotes during deer season when I see them.
OK, got it.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Sick Bird Rider wrote
campgottagopee wrote
OK, got it.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
MAN_0_MAN  were the Yotes just a singing friday night in the Valley while Pro and I were drinking beer on my deck.

Me thinks there's one less fawn on my hill now, maybe two. BASTARDS!!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
SJ, with the snow pack we have here in CNY, your coyotes will be eating damn good this year! I've been noticing turkey and deer eating sumac and hemlock, which provide no real nutrients for them. Food is getting sparse which in turn will be slowing these animals so those bloody yotes will get them. That said, the snow is slowing down these damn coyotes too

Good to know there are 4 less deer killers in our area now
Reply | Threaded
|

Highpeaksdrifter
campgottagopee wrote
Good to know there are 4 less deer killers in our area now
4 less dog killers too.

There's truth that lives
And truth that dies
I don't know which
So never mind - Leonard Cohen
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Wait, what?? Did you have a pup taken out by a coyote?? I seriously worry about that at my new house. Damn coyotes are all over the place, I hear them at least 2 to 3 times a week. My pups hear them too. They get a AH FUCK look on their face when they start yipping.
Reply | Threaded
|

Highpeaksdrifter
No, but we have a miniature schnauzer and I worry about it. I've heard several stories of coyotes going after small dogs.
There's truth that lives
And truth that dies
I don't know which
So never mind - Leonard Cohen
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Coyotes freak me out when they start yapping and howling in the woods behind my house.  First one....then the pack.  One less deer in the woods.  They aren't far off, and I don't live in the north country.  Our dog doesn't roam outside free.  He's a little guy.  When a pup I worried about the Hawks and owls too, but he's to big for them now.
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
What's interesting about these critters is 3 of them can sound like 30. Personally I like listening to them, the sounds they can belt out are amazing. Too bad they're just nasty varmints.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
pussy
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
them deer killers take out the weak deer first but better they linger and starve this winter.  We wouldn't want the great white hunters of central NY to not be able to fill their tags.

My grandpa always said any hunter who complained about not seeing deer because the coyotes were killing them was not a very good hunter...

I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by ScottyJack
ScottyJack wrote
pussy
LOL
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
Getting back on track (in the wolf-positive sense)....

Up here in the Hinterlands, Algonquin Park staff have drug a road-kill moose out into the valley in front of the park Visitor Centre and pointed their web cam at it. If you are reading this in a timely manner, click on the link and you will likely see an eastern wolf snacking on some moose flesh. Yum!

http://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/virtual/webcam/index.php

And, just for the record, wolves ≠ coyotes. Many wolves will kill coyotes if they come into their territory and only the eastern wolf can readily interbreed with coyotes. Maybe Campy could start a Coyote Death thread so the rest of us can talk about wolves.

a very scientifically credible article on Wikipedia wrote
Eastern wolf-coyote hybrids, termed eastern coyotes, occur in New England, New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Ontario, Quebec, New Brunswick,[12] Nova Scotia,[13] and Newfoundland and Labrador.[14] The eastern wolf is particularly susceptible to hybridization with the coyote, due to its close relationship to it and its ability to bridge gene flow between both coyotes and gray wolves. Furthermore, hunting over a period of 400 years caused a population decline which reduced the number of suitable mates, thus facilitating coyote gene swamping into the eastern wolf population. Aside from posing a threat to a unique species, the resulting eastern wolf-coyote hybrids are too small in size to substitute pure eastern wolves as apex predators of moose and deer. The main nucleus of pure eastern wolves is currently concentrated within Algonquin Provincial Park. This susceptibility to hybridization lead to the eastern wolf to being listed as Special Concern under the Canadian Committee on the Status of Endangered Wildlife (COSEWIC) and with the Committee on the Status of Species at Risk in Ontario (COSSARO). By 2001, protection was extended to eastern wolves occurring in the outskirts of the Park, thus no longer depriving Park eastern wolves of future pure-blooded mates. By 2012, the genetic composition of the Park's eastern wolves was roughly restored to what it was in the mid-1960s than in the 1980s–1990s, when the majority of wolves had large amounts of coyote DNA.[15]
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
Surprising it took over a month for one to find it
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
skimore wrote
Surprising it took over a month for one to find it
Good point. It was likely covered in snow until the thaw over the past week.

Much drama right now, there are four wolves around the carcass. Watched one have dump, then it scooted a bit, grabbed a big hunk of flesh, had another dump and wandered off. Maybe a little too much rotten moose meat.
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
very cool site
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
freeheeln wrote
very cool site
Agreed. Nice to see out tax dollars at work in a positive way. We watched the wolves while having dinner. One had layed down, seemed to be sleeping it off. Then a buddy entered stage right, there was much sniffing and tail-wagging and they all wandered off.

Earlier today there were some ravens having a snack  and one friend saw a fisher feeding on the carcass. I missed that angry rodent. I can actually justify looking at this while working since it is vaguely work-related.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Sick Bird Rider
Sick Bird Rider wrote
And, just for the record, wolves ≠ coyotes. Many wolves will kill coyotes if they come into their territory and only the eastern wolf can readily interbreed with coyotes. Maybe Campy could start a Coyote Death thread so the rest of us can talk about wolves.
Well now, Mr Smarty Pants, according to this study our coyotes here in CNY DO have some wolf in them....U can suck it

http://www.syracuse.com/outdoors/index.ssf/2015/01/suny_esf_prof_coyotes_are_everywhere_in_nys_but_overall_impact_on_deer_is_minima.html

I was very happy to read that these damn critters don't take as many adult deer as what I would've thought/guessed. They simply kill and eat fawns like popcorn.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
This post was updated on .
campgottagopee wrote
Sick Bird Rider wrote
Well now, Mr Smarty Pants, according to this study our coyotes here in CNY DO have some wolf in them....U can suck it

I was very happy to read that these damn critters don't take as many adult deer as what I would've thought/guessed. They simply kill and eat fawns like popcorn.
I read the article you linked and it corroborates what I said:

"Current genetic studies of coyotes show that there's a little bit of dog and Eastern wolf (obtained from their northern migration) in them, but its mostly coyote."

Your article also reinforces my point about wolves being coyote-killers, and therefore your friend:

"Apart from man, what animal preys on coyotes?

Wolves. They're the only animal out that will keep coyote numbers down. Coyotes will avoid them. In addition, wolves put year-round pressure on coyotes."

The research biologist I talked to explained that, in eastern NA, most wolves have some coyote in them and most (if not all) coyotes have eastern wolf in them. My point is that each critter still has different behaviors and is still quite different in the way it engages with humans. Shoot coyotes if you want, just don't shoot a wolf.