Yet another knee story

45 messages Options
tjf1967 tjf1967
Reply |
Open this post in threaded view

Re: Yet another knee story

Dude you are not getting any younger. Go get two new knees. 8 months later you are back in business with no pain.  
marznc marznc
Reply |

tjf1967 wrote
Dude you are not getting any younger. Go get two new knees. 8 months later you are back in business with no pain.
I have a friend who did both knees in her early 60s.  Had put off the surgery for at least 10 years for assorted reasons.  Took a 3-month medical leave but was getting around just fine after about 4 weeks.  Not a skier, but she was a runner before the knees weren't up for it.  She was very happy with the outcome.

Skied with the creator of Floskis at Mammoth in May.  Just happen to come across him.  Adrian is mid-70s.  Has two replaced hips and a partial knee replacement.  Happy as can be to be pain free.  Skiing way better than most people half his age.  My ski buddy and I skied with Adrian for a couple hours, mostly on black terrain with plenty of soft spring bumps.  We demo'd his skis for kicks.
Z Z
Reply |

In reply to this post by Milo Maltbie
Milo Maltbie wrote
Z wrote
Do you either have your boot soles planed or cants under your bindings?  
I've got all that covered, but skiing better is part of my past, and my knees are the least of my problems.

mm
Look me up next season
There are probably some small things you can do to your skiing that will make an impact
"It is better to go skiing and think of God, than go to church and think of sport."
Artic Explorer Fridtjof Nansen
Milo Maltbie Milo Maltbie
Reply |

TJF, Marznc:  Thanks for the advice, but I'm not a replacement candidate yet.  Except for the meniscus tear, I don't have any serious symptoms at all.  I have at least 8 friends who have had knee replacements, and only one of them was as healthy as me after a double replacement.  Five of them resulted in serious infections, and three of the replacements had to be redone.  I'll wait until I get much worse and the technology gets better.

Z: Thanks for the offer, but I'm the best coached skier in North America.  Old age is a bitch, but mostly I'm feeling sorry for myself.

mm
"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist." George Carlin
campgottagopee campgottagopee
Reply |

Milo Maltbie wrote

Z: Thanks for the offer, but I'm the best coached skier in North America.  

Damn! that's quite a statement right there --- good on ya!
Reply |

campgottagopee wrote
Milo Maltbie wrote

Z: Thanks for the offer, but I'm the best coached skier in North America.  

Damn! that's quite a statement right there --- good on ya!
I've had the opportunity to ski with some of the best coaches in the US.  One of them was Ned Crossley, who was the AD and gymnastics coach at West Point for a long time.  He told me that other coaches thought of him as a "turd polisher," meaning he could take guys with limited ability and make them competitive, but he would never coach a champion.  Maybe he was trying to tell me something.

mm
campgottagopee campgottagopee
Reply |

LOL --- that's great. Thanks for sharing that.
tjf1967 tjf1967
Reply |

I would avoid the dr and hospitals they went to.  I know dozens of people that have had the replacements done with only one complication.  Just met another one this morning.  He is getting his hip done in august.
Reply |

tjf1967 wrote
I would avoid the dr and hospitals they went to.
I'm definitely gonna avoid those hospitals, at least for a few years.

mm
Z Z
Reply |

I’ve skied with Ned.  He is an awesome old dude and great coach
"It is better to go skiing and think of God, than go to church and think of sport."
Artic Explorer Fridtjof Nansen