"Storm" Speculation Feb 25-26

classic Classic
15 messages Options
12
Reply |  

"Storm" Speculation Feb 25-26

JTG4eva!
Ok, not much of a storm.  However, a system coming through Saturday night will usher colder air back to the Northeast, and with it some mixed precip with snow on the back side.  Some forecasts showing measureable snow on the back side of the front, with possibly upwards of 4-6 inches in the high country summits through midday Sunday.  Thoughts from our resident weather weenies.....

Reply |  

Re: "Storm" Speculation Feb 25-26

JasonWx
using the GFS and taking it verbatim ...
Light rain all day Saturday followed by a gusty NW with some snow showers

"Peace and Love"
Reply |  

Re: "Storm" Speculation Feb 25-26

JTG4eva!
Yeah, but "snow showers" so far this winter have been decent producers.  Anything would help after a light ncp followed by cold temps event!

Reply |  

Re: "Storm" Speculation Feb 25-26

JasonWx
still 5 days away..anything can happen

"Peace and Love"
Reply |  

Re: "Storm" Speculation Feb 25-26

JTG4eva!
Yeah, wait and see.....expect the worst and hope to get lucky!  This season has been as good as it has because we've gotten a lot of lucky!

Not that it means anything this far out, but one forecast just changed the Sat pm to Sun am snow total from 4-6 to 10-12 for the high peaks of the Daks and Greens.  I think there is general agreement (as much as such a thing exists this far out) that there is likely to be 1 to 1.5 inches of QPF from Sat afternoon into the overnight, with very warm temps ahead of the front and temps dropping into the 20s when it passes.  Just a matter of how soon any changeover might occur, and when it happens at different elevations.

Winds look like they may be whipping on Saturday.

Spring skiing Saturday, powder skiing Sunday......?????

Reply |  

Re: "Storm" Speculation Feb 25-26

JasonWx
Sorry but I just don't see appreciable snow on the backside of this low..

"Peace and Love"
Reply |  

Re: "Storm" Speculation Feb 25-26

JTG4eva!
Agreed, doesn't look that good.  Best hope, and it's a long shot, is that something of a 'snow at the summit/rain at the base' situation arises as the freezing level descends on the back side of the storm.

Reply |  

Re: "Storm" Speculation Feb 25-26

JTG4eva!
I've still got a forecast calling for measureable snow on the back side of this thing.  Sure, the timing of the cool down and amount are fluctuating, current accumulations on the higher end for Whiteface at 4800.....but they ain't letting it go!  It may not be likely, but I still like to see it in the forecast and dream.

Reply |  

Re: "Storm" Speculation Feb 25-26

Harvey
Admin


"If it's my mountain, I'm installing a fixed grip and telling the lifties to stuff the beginners into chairs as aggressively as they have to to keep it going full speed." —Brownski
Reply |  

Re: "Storm" Speculation Feb 25-26

JTG4eva!
Well, a few of the more mainstream forecasts are starting to call for light accumulations on the back of this mess, not that 1-3 of dust on crust Sunday is going to make things all that pleasant.  The forecast I've been watching, as unlikely as it may be, keeps waffling between the summits of Whiteface and Mansfield as to which will get more at elevation on the back side of this.  Currently says 6 for Whiteface and 16 for Mansfield.  Last night it was 12 for Whiteface and 6 for Mansfield.  Shut up Jason!  Since I couldn't pull off LCC this weekend a guy can dream.

I'm seriously considering heading north this weekend.  Saturday is looking partly sunny early and it will be a great spring skiing day until the rain arrives later afternoon.  If the summits do get measureable snow it could be a decent day Sunday.  Might be worth the gamble, and if they don't.....well, enough fun can be had Sat to make the trip worthwhile.

Problem is it looks like the winds will be a'howlin'!  I'm comfortable bringing the touring rigs and earning the turns at Whiteface if the lifts don't spin.  Can the same be done at Stowe without trouble?

Reply
12
Loading...