classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

1/5/19 Crystal Mtn, Thompsonville, Mi

Mi Skier
This post was updated on .
My daughter and myself started the day out heading to Caberfae Peaks for our almost weekly trip. Earlier this season I bought a punch card that gives us one lift ticket at almost all Mi ski areas, so after almost 3 hours of driving when I need to head west on M-55 we decided to keep driving northwest for another 20 mins and use our punch card and go to Crystal Mtn, although it is no where close to a Mtn it is a 300’ hill.

The day started out very foggy and a temp of 30, with the forecast of sunshine and 35-40 latter in the day.

The snow was frim but you can easily get an edge in, but you could tell once the sun came out that snow was going to get soft but not like mashed potatoes.

A trip to Crystal is not complete without getting a waffle from the Waffle Cabin

We may not have the biggest hills in Michigan but we do get some pretty fantastic sunsets

All in all it was a great day. The sun came out the snow got soft with little to no ice. It is a little depressing when you make 51 runs and you don’t even get 13,000’ of vertical in. But being in Michigan and spending time with my grown up kid I will take it.

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: 1/5/19 Crystal Mtn, Thompsonville, Mi

marznc
Nice pics!

I think 300 vert with 100 acres may still be more fun than 740 vert but only 25 acres.  That's what Cataloochee has.  People drive 3.5 hours from Atlanta to Cat for day trips to get a little time on snow.  I bet the base is more reliable in upper MI than the NC/VA mountains, at least for Jan-Feb.  Southeast ski areas are having to almost completely start over for snowmaking this week.
Reply | Threaded
|

Mi Skier
Thanks. I try on the pics.
Yes northern Michigan can hold a base. They have a good 4’ base down.
I know what you mean by not having much acreage, but some of the runs are so short that it is 6-10 turns and you are done. I have learned that skiing can be just as fun of you have the right company and short runs vs so-so company and long runs.
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
Mi Skier wrote
Thanks. I try on the pics.
Yes northern Michigan can hold a base. They have a good 4’ base down.
I know what you mean by not having much acreage, but some of the runs are so short that it is 6-10 turns and you are done. I have learned that skiing can be just as fun of you have the right company and short runs vs so-so company and long runs.
On my, 4 feet!

My home hill in northern VA is hanging on with 20 inches.  Have seen the core trails open with just 10-12 inches.  The one short section of a black trail that is allowed to bump up is about 10 turns.  But as you say, with good company skiing is fun anywhere.  Especially when it's your kid(s).
Reply | Threaded
|

Mi Skier
This is year 19 that my kid and myself have gone skiing together. 99% of the time she goes with me and I love it