12/30, 12/31 Greek Peak

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

12/30, 12/31 Greek Peak

Cornhead
My original plan was to ski Friday and Saturday in Vermont. The storm, Fortis, shifted East from the earlier predictions. I decided to stay home. My decision appeared to be spot on as LES was forecast for Greek. Originally up to 15", later downgraded to 4-8". Oh well, at least there would be some fresh to be had. We headed to Greek and arrived in time for first chair.

Greek had received 5" of fresh snow atop the night's grooming. Everything skied great. Fields, Illiad, and Karyatis made up the open front side trails. Castor was accessable via Epicurus Way. More importantly, the closed Aesop's Glade was also accessable from Epicurus. I hooked up with a former forum member up top just before heading down Fields for my first run. We made a couple more runs on Illiad, then headed for Aesop's. It skied wonderfully. We stopped on the service road halfway down. I said, "Why is this closed?" To which Glade replied, "Because it's awesome." Next we were off to slay Labyrinth, again closed. It skied much better than it normally does when open. You just had to be wary of numerous waterbars near the exit. We also skied Trojan Woods, it was good in Trojan Woods.

Aesop's

Labyrinth

Some gaper on Labyrinth

Some other gaper, Fields, I think

Day two, Saturday. A little lake snow was forecast overnight, but it didn't materialize. There would be freshies, or day old freshies, to be had regardless. Chair 5 would open at 9:30, it was closed Friday. I bombed groomers until then, working my way over to chair 4 and Mars Hill. Files on Mars and Arcadian Gate dropped a little late, about 9:45. I made one run down the groomed half, the rest were made in the pow.

a
https://youtu.be/8l0WZfr3NYs
Powder Queen and Acidchrist on Arethusa Way.

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: 12/30, 12/31 Greek Peak

Brownski
You guys might have missed the lake effect but that doesn't look so bad. Those glades look pretty fun.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Cornhead
Yep, as much as I gripe about it, there's no place like home. Had one of my best ever days there 3 wks ago.
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
Damn thought about venturing into the woods on Friday but didn't think there'd be enough cover...wrong huh
Reply | Threaded
|

Cornhead
gorgonzola wrote
Damn thought about venturing into the woods on Friday but didn't think there'd be enough cover...wrong huh
Yeah, it was a joke they opened them last season. I'm convinced they just wanted to be able to list them on their conditions report. If you ventured into them with anything but rock skis, you'd be bummin. I remember taking a leak in Mars woods and melting the snow down to bare ground. It must've been an inch deep, two at most.

I skied with my good skis unscathed Friday. I was more nervous skiing Arethusa Saturday, and it was open. One run was all I dared, it got scraped off quickly, there was no base. Really happy 5 wasn't spinning Friday, made for another powder day Saturday.