10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

25-year-old dies at Whiteface ski center

Harvey
Administrator
January 20, 2012
By CHRIS MORRIS - Staff Writer (cmorris@adirondackdailyenterprise.com) , Adirondack Daily Enterprise

A 25-year-old male died today at Whiteface Mountain Ski Center in Wilmington.

Jon Lundin, spokesman for the state Olympic Regional Development Authority, confirmed the death this afternoon. He couldn't provide any additional information regarding the man's name or where he's from, and he referred all questions to state police.

A state trooper at Troop B headquarters in Ray Brook told the Enterprise police are still investigating the death and that more information would be available later today.

More:

http://www.adirondackdailyenterprise.com/page/content.detail/id/528880.html
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: 25-year-old dies at Whiteface ski center

ausable skier
i heard it happened on excelsior - went into the woods and took tree to chest

saw the chopper leaving not in a hurry which is a bad sign

if you gotta go and we all do at some point I'd prefer it to be with my boots on
A true measure of a person's intelligence is how much they agree with you.
Reply | Threaded
|

gebbyfish
Death at Windham.  Death at Hunter. Death at Whiteface.  What the heck is going on? :(
Reply | Threaded
|

fahz
Windham too what happened?
11/25, 1/28, 4/6 Okemo; 12/03, 3/4, 4/7 Stratton; 12/10 - Skiing Santas, 1/15, 3/10 Whiteface; 12/22, 3/3 Gore; 12/26 Snow Ridge; 12/28 Stratton; 1/20 Mt Sunapee; 1/21 Pico; 2/3 Killington; 2/7, 3/7 Windham; 2/16 Eldora; 2/17, 2/18, 2/20 Winter Park; 2/19 Steamboat; 2/21 Copper; 3/11 Jiminy Peak; 3/17 Bromley; 3/25, 4/8 Belleayre; 3/31 Hunter
Reply | Threaded
|

gebbyfish
My bad!  I thought there was a thread on here, since removed I guess, where there was mention of someone dying at Windham.  I can't find it anymore.  Sorry!
Reply | Threaded
|

Chris
death at Heavenly yesterday, Sarah Burke dies.   Quite the week for related losses
The day begins...  Your mountain awaits.
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
At least 3 avalanche deaths on CO that I've heard about so far, too.
Plus the kid who fell off the chair in MA.

This is more than usual, right? Or am I just on the internet way too much?
Condolences to families of the deceased.
Reply | Threaded
|

endoftheline
Terrible, so young, 25 yrs old, so much ahead of him. I guess if you are a skier its the only way to go. Not surprising at WF since the usually lose one/yr sometimes 2. Upper Northway has claimed a number over the yrs, nicknamed Upper Deathway. Lets hope this is the only one we lose this yr, one is way to many.
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
And another one. This time, 13 years old. Caught in an avalanche at Vail.
More Here

Annddd Another. Wow.
http://www.skyhidailynews.com/article/20120123/NEWS/120129988/1103
Reply | Threaded
|

ausable skier
fujative wrote
And another one. This time, 13 years old. Caught in an avalanche at Vail.
More Here

Annddd Another. Wow.
http://www.skyhidailynews.com/article/20120123/NEWS/120129988/1103
What is totally shocking about both of these is that they did not occur in the back or side country nor in the back bowls.  Both of these occured below tree line on the front sides of the mountains in areas where you normally would not worry about this type of thing.  Granted the one at Vail happened on a closed section of the mountain which is steep.  I'm wondering if either Vail or Winter Park has ever had front side avy fatialies before.  Anyone know?

part of the reason i pulled the plug on my colorado trip was that i had been reading the avy reports and from what I've read the snow pack in Colorado is crap and is only going to get worse with snow load.  When you don't have snow for a month with warm temps and sun you'll get a nasty crust on the top that no snow is going to adhere to the rest of the season.  I had planned to go cat skiing with my son and that did not seem like a good parental decision with this crappy snow pack even it they do get enough snow to run the cats
A true measure of a person's intelligence is how much they agree with you.