classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

3/10/12 - Mini Powder Day at Greek Peak

Cornhead
This post was updated on .
  There were heavy periodic squalls in Binghamton throughout the day Friday. I was hoping GP would get a tad more, they did, about 2". It wasn't much, but was enough to freshen things up nicely.  Could be the last Wintery day at GP this season. Off to Elk tomorrow,  $35 weekend,  $25 weekday lift tickets the remainder of the season for pass holders of any mountain.  Should be good, sunny, warm, near 60, soft bumps on Tunkhanock, scantily clad young women, who could ask for more?

Sad as it may be, 2" qualifies as a "Powder Day" this year.

Both shots are Illiad, there the only ones I took. Everything skied quite nicely. The connector to chair 5 was even open, no poaching or shuttle bus required.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: 3/10/12 - Mini Powder Day at Greek Peak

gorgonzola
looks nice! i'd love to hit greek once more but it's not looking like it's in the cards  hope you made to elk yesterday ch, it was a glorious day! we had two vouchers from a warren miller showing and so it was only $35 for mrs snobunksi, junior and i! skiied all the trails skiers right to left - hard n fast in the morning. skipped tunk and took the green cruiser down to the bar for an early lunch and a beer. after the break we worked from skiers left to right to end up on tunkhannok around 12:30 or so just as the bumps were softening up. such a great day - my face is sore from so much sun and smiles!

Reply | Threaded
|

Cornhead
  I did make it to Elk yesterday, it was great, Elk always is. I was reminded how quite a few intermediate skiers have bought the farm this year on the East Coast. We started out right at 8:30, I thought the grooming was a little below Elk's usual standards. It seemed a little more Greek Peakish, raised ridges between groomer tracks, maybe it is due to the condition of the "snow". Still it was confidence inspiring, and lulled me into a false sense of security. After hitting all the trails off the two doubles, we headed to the quad side of the mountain. I was bombing Lackawanna when I hit some ice right in the middle of the trail. I felt my ski loose edge, and tried for a fraction of a second to recover, then succumbed to gravity. It was scary for a split second, as I was traversing the trail when it happened, and moving at a quite high speed. I was afraid my path would lead me off the trail and into the woods. I ended up on my back, heading feet first down the trail. A quick stab of my heel into the snow brought me to an abrupt stop. My gear was only twenty feet or so up the hill. I was glad I decided to go down. If  I had continued to try to save it and was unsuccessful, it probably would have taken me closer to the woods before I went down.  I was more cautious the rest of the day. I witnessed quite a few falls due to catching edges in the heavy snow, I almost went down right near the base of the quad. I was looking forward to skiing Tunkhannock, but only made two runs on it. It didn't soften as much as I would have liked. I did enjoy the ungroomed Chippewa however.
Reply | Threaded
|

Powderqueen
I love how Greek Peak is used to describe less-than-good grooming

Believe it or not, Greek Peak is open all this week until 9pm! Probably should go ski after work this week to show my appreciation for the turning lifts for the pass-holders.
Reply | Threaded
|

Cornhead
Powderqueen wrote
I love how Greek Peak is used to describe less-than-good grooming

Believe it or not, Greek Peak is open all this week until 9pm! Probably should go ski after work this week to show my appreciation for the turning lifts for the pass-holders.
  Ha, have you ever been to Elk at opening? It would be the perfect place for a blind skier. They advertise on the radio, "Like skiing in Vermont, without the drive." I kept going to Vermont and thinking, "What the hell are they talking about? Elk is nothing like Vermont."...then I skied Okemo. I think Greek does an Okay job of grooming. It just stands out when Elk is anything but Astroturf like first thing in the morning. I guess I'm still going to take my Brother to Platty on Saturday. I doubt much but trails off the triple will be open, maybe Blockbuster, they blew tons of snow on it this year. Hum, corn snow on Blockbuster sounds like a good time.