4 cm

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

4 cm

gebbyfish
Now in some areas, 4 cm might be the difference between life and death, but I'm wondering about my next set of skis.  I just started back up last spring with a pair of Salomon X wings and can appreciate the difference between these skis and other skis on the mountain.  Now, I know I need to improve to do some of the things I want to do, like learn how to navigate moguls better and get in the woods, but I'm wondering about a better ski and was looking at the Salomon XT 850.  My local ski shop is of course having their end of year sale, but only have the ski in 170.  The tech didn't want to put me in 170s, feeling 166 was what I needed.  The X wings are 158.  Now, do I search high and low for this size in that ski or look at others or just get the 170s?  Advice?  I'm not married to the Salomon line, but the X wings are pretty nice, so I'm sure a step up in ski in that brand would agree with me.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: 4 cm

Funky Polak
How much do you weigh? How tall are you?
Reply | Threaded
|

gebbyfish
5'6".  180 but hope to be less!  It was a tough winter!
Reply | Threaded
|

Funky Polak
This post was updated on .
My 2 cents, for speed and stability the 170 would be good for you. However, taking into consideration what you want it for, bumps and woods, along with the fact you're used to skiing on 158s, the 166 would probably be the better choice.
Reply | Threaded
|

gebbyfish
Thanks!  I'll see if I can find it!  If not, I may go with a similar pair of Volkl's that are my size.  Beggars can't be choosy with the end of the season sales, but I don't want to lose out on significant savings!
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
4cm - TWSS!  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Not familar with the x-wings but if they have any rocker they will ski shorter than the stated size

I am definately now going to longer boards if they have rocker.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

gebbyfish
I'll ask about the X wings, the ski I have and whether or not they have any rocker.  The tip seems pretty much in contact with the ground surface on those, the X wings, my current pair.  There is definitely some rocker on the new skis, the XT850 and the volkls.  Just better skis.  Solid wood core and wider base than the x wings.