Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

65 years ago, man first made snow

Chris

65 years ago, man first made snow
November 14, 2011 5:36 PM
Chris Gloninger
ALBANY -- “You can drop dry ice through these clouds and you can actually convert that part of the cloud into snow crystals,” said meteorologist Duncan Blanchard.

This technique is called cloud seeding.

It was invented by a Schenectady native Vincent Schaefer - a GE scientist. Schaefer’s research can be found on the campus of SUNY Albany, and it was the job of archivist Kerry Lynch to. compile his data.

“On a really hot day he needed to cool down a homemade “cold chamber” in a research lab, and he dropped some dry ice into the “cold chamber” and discovered that it could form ice crystals,” said Kerry Lynch.

6 months later, on November 13, 1946, Schaefer took to the air and made it snow over western Massachusetts. His colleague Duncan Blanchard explained how his attempt to change mother nature - worked.

“On the famous flight they made, they made a race track pattern about 20 miles long dropping dry ice. The entire area of the race track was transformed into snow,” said Blanchard.  

They continued their research for Project Cirrus for 4 years, but it abruptly ended when pilots were needed to fly during the Korean War. Since that time cloud seeding research has rekindled.

The science of cloud seeding is still evolving in fact ski resorts use the technology and the dry ice to add to their snowfall.

“You can use cloud seeding techniques to cause it not to rain as well as to cause precipitation,” said Lynch.

That is done over a relatively small area, but if research improves cloud seeding may help mitigate severe droughts or prevent rainfall over flooded areas.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Read more: http://www.cbs6albany.com/articles/made-1288936-snow-years.html#ixzz1dmT65qNn
The day begins...  Your mountain awaits.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: 65 years ago, man first made snow

Face4Me
Hmmm ... messing with Mother Nature ... what could possibly go wrong????
It's easy to be against something ... It's hard to be for something!
Reply | Threaded
|

ausable skier
Vail supposedly has cloud seeded for 30 years for the back bowls

http://www.vailbusinessjournal.com/article/id/64/sid/2
A true measure of a person's intelligence is how much they agree with you.
Reply | Threaded
|

Chris
There were lots of talks about Breckenridge's (Vail resorts owned) cloud seeding last year.   Breck would get 26" while Keystone, Copper, A-Basin would report no more than 6"  and they're all within a few miles.

It may go against most of my values...  but I'm all for it
The day begins...  Your mountain awaits.
Reply | Threaded
|

ausable skier
Chris wrote
It may go against most of my values...  but I'm all for it
how could more snow go against your values - it just relocated snow from a place that is indifferent at best about it to a place where it could be put to good use
A true measure of a person's intelligence is how much they agree with you.