Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: It's time...

GoofyRider
Harvey44 wrote
mattchuck2 wrote
Harvey44 wrote
I've got a band that wants to do an original score for the film after it's shot. Or I'm open to other options.
NICE.  HUGE bonus.
To be honest I've never heard the band. I know the drummer, and he plays a sweet acoustic guitar, but that's all I know.  I asked him to describe the genre... he said "think of a cross between teddy thompson and smithereens." I don't even know what that means.

mattchuck2 wrote
Harvey44 wrote
Am I dreaming? Would anyone be willing to pull up on a day when conditions are great to set up a shot?
Ahhh, therein lies the problem.  On a Powder Day, do you want to take the time to set up a video, or would you rather just ski?  It's always a hard choice, and that's why I always end up having a limited amount of video to work with when I finally get to the editing process.
Hey I threw this out there because I know it's an issue for ME.

mattchuck2 wrote
And also, what mountains are we talking about? If it's just a Whiteface/Gore thing, that would be easy.  We all ski at those places anyway.  We get the footage from everyone, and then just edit it together and call it a job.  But if you really want to make a New York ski movie, then we're talking about taking it on the road.  We could hit the easy ones like West, Hickory, Hunter, Belleayre, Plattekill, Big Tupper and Windham without too much difficulty, but what about the ones further out?  McCauley?  Royal? Titus?  What about Western New York?  Holiday Valley?  Bristol?  Greek Peak?  One of the things I like most about the Meathead films is that, even though they always have the obligatory Stowe and Jay footage, they usually try to visit a lot of new places throughout the year.
I don't think my idea is quite as organized as you might be thinking.  This might be unrealistic but here's what I'm imagining....

Anyone who's interested sends me or Matt and email. Ideally we'd have at least two regulars from Whiteface, Gore, Belleayre, Plattekill, Greek Peak and Tug Hill. Any other mountain or BC areas are certainly welcome.  

When I said "setting up shots" that may have been misleading. When PDQ and I skied together, the first time we met (Gore Mtn: 12/20/08) we took a ton of stills and video. We basically leapfrogged all day with the person ahead pulling up to shoot.

But if you've got 20 people - 10 groups of two - that ski together 10 days - and take (2) 20 second clips each time - you've got 200 clips x 20 seconds = 4000 seconds which is about an hour of raw material. Obviously it wouldn't all be good, but I'm trying to get a final product maybe 4 minutes long.  Like I may have said, this might not be realistic, but all of Harvey Road is built on dreams. Many aren't exactly realistic.

My idea on the story would be to retrofit it to the video we get. That's how the blog comes together and I'm used to working that way.

With regard to the New York State thing ... I like the idea. There's a ton of VT films out there, and not as much New York. Maybe even get an I LOVE NY logo on it.  I'd like to push the NY angle, but then again there's the issue of the Bloggers Summit at Jay Peak next Feb. Would probably want to include some footage from that...
I think a 4 minute video would be very doable.  If you can get people set up as you describe that should get you plenty of quality clips to choose from and edit down.  I took 90% of the video with my friends this year and was able to make a 5 min+ video.  I rode 20 days this year and did significant filming on roughly 10 of them and took around 5-10 videos each trip.  Each clip I used edited down to an average of around 5-10 seconds in the finished video.

One thing to consider with collecting the video is file type.  It may be easier for the person doing the editing to have all the files in the same format, like avi/mov or Hi Def/Low Def.

For anyone interested I finally finished a video of last year, all filmed at Gore, WF and Jay. Working on it really got me pumped for this year.  It's funny how even though we had a rough snow drought mid season, the storms we did get were epic, that 50" week late season was the best riding I've ever had at WF.  So anyway here it is..

Crank it up!

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: NY Ski Films

Harvey
Administrator
GoofyRider wrote
One thing to consider with collecting the video is file type. It may be easier for the person doing the editing to have all the files in the same format, like avi/mov or Hi Def/Low Def.
Goofy ... my P/S (point and shoot or piece of ... take your pick) puts out .avis. I recently took a nice 4 minute video of The Jazz Trip at the Ski Bowl. Both YouTube and Facebook told me it was not an acceptable file type but in the error message listed avi as an acceptable type? Any advice? I have uploaded video from that camera. Maybe at 4 minutes it was just too big?
GoofyRider wrote
...late season was the best riding I've ever had at WF. Crank it up!

Ezy Riders: Winter 2010 ... embedded for your convenience...

Anyone else have issues with Vimeo videos "sticking" on playback? I don't seem to get that with YouTube or Facebook.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
Harvey44 wrote
Anyone else have issues with Vimeo videos "sticking" on playback?  I don't seem to get that with YouTube or Facebook.
Yes! Vimeo movies are extremely annoying to watch due the "jerkiness." It is a little better if you watch the video in Vimeo itself, not in the embedded form. I finally decided to look into it on the "help" section of the Vimeo site and discovered that we are not alone. What I learned is that it is a common problem and Vimeo doesn't have a fix for it. According to them it could be related to your browser, connection speed, OS, age of your PC, settings on the original video, etc. etc. In my case, I believe it is the machine and/or OS. My home computer is an older Mac Powerbook running OS 10.4, connected to the Hinternet via DSL. At work (wait, did I just admit to watching ski videos at work? Oops) I am running a pretty new I Mac with Snow Leopard 10.6.4 but with a slower satellite connection. At home it is jerky, at work it is not. Guess I will just have to watch more videos at work.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
Harv, I spent $700 on an HD video camera last summer. I'm pretty fluent with Sony Vegas and Final Cut Pro. The problem with Final Cut is that its an Apple program, i.e. you need a Mac to use it. I have Vegas on my home computer and Premier Pro on this computer. (The word on the street is that Premier pro > Final Cut Pro), I haven't used it much yet, but it seems pretty similar to Final Cut.

The only problem is for my final project in my media arts class last year, I did a retarded shot and broke my camera a little. It gets very moody when it does and doesn't want to open the lens, and you can see the clip in the glass in certain lighting.

Editing a movie takes a LOT of time. I made one three seasons back, it took probably 50 hours of editing, and It wasn't very well done.
Part 1
Part 2

If I was around more this winter, I would definitely be down to do it. I'm only gonna be around Gore for about 4 weeks worth, and with all my school work I'm not sure how I could handle editing it.  Although,I am coming to like photography a lot more than videography.

EDIT*

Harvey44 wrote
 Obviously it wouldn't all be good, but I'm trying to get a final product maybe 4 minutes long
We're only looking for a 4 minute video here? I'll get that done in two days of good snow. I'll try to snag a nice camera and get some good shots for a bit of a bonus

I can get some shots of Holiday Valley, Kissing Bridge, and a few other mountains out here in Buffalo, too. I hope you don't mind seeing some park skiing.
Reply | Threaded
|

GoofyRider
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey44 wrote
Goofy ... my P/S (point and shoot or piece of ... take your pick) puts out .avis.  I recently took a nice 4 minute video of The Jazz Trip at the Ski Bowl. Both YouTube and Facebook told me it was not an acceptable file type but in the error message listed avi as an acceptable type? Any advice? I have uploaded video from that  camera. Maybe at 4 minutes it was just too big?
That could be it.  I'm not sure what to tell you on that one other than splitting the video in half and see if it takes that.

Harvey44 wrote
Anyone else have issues with Vimeo videos "sticking" on playback?  I don't seem to get that with YouTube or Facebook.
I've noticed the sticking on my pc, and just chalked it up to that fact the my pc is really kinda old and slow.  I put it on youtube to see if it makes any difference.

fujative wrote
Editing a movie takes a LOT of time. I made one three seasons back, it took probably 50 hours of editing, and It wasn't very well done.
I agree.  Editing is very tedious and time consuming and takes way more time than you plan on.  Mine here took probably around the same amount of time, not counting the 3 times I had to start over, once due to my own stupidity and the other two due to software crashes.

Fujative - beginning of part 1 was nicely done.  The timing of the clips to the fill in the music was well done and the graphics were cool.

Hope this one plays smooth and you can watch the whole thing..

Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
This post was updated on .
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
People can we stop using Hip Hop as the music bed...
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
Hip Hop was so 2008. Now it's all about DUBSTEP Ya gotta remember, most kids people who make and watch these videos are in their teens-20's, lots of them actually like this music.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
OK so maybe we won't make a movie this year.

And maybe my dream of being a professional tree skier isn't realistic.

I do think the studio version of this tune would be cool for a movie. The intro could be for the skin up... the transition for the peel, and the rest for the ski down.

I posted the live version. It's not as tight and it's too long, but the video is fun.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Still Time, Harv.

The best way to do it is just to start shooting some footage, pick your music, get it all to a certain person who may or may not be getting a new laptop this coming week, and he'll edit it and have it back to you the next weekend.

We have half of February, all of March, All of April, and whatever's left in May.  And who cares if it's all from NY?  If it's good footage, it's good footage (would be nice to get a couple of nice dumps and get the slides open, though - could get some good stuff from there).
Reply | Threaded
|

Burgermeister
In reply to this post by Harvey
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Burgermeister wrote
What if you do the NY ski film next year? Use the summer to plan things out; write a script, shot list, gather resources, organize personnel, and equipment, etc.

For this season, how about a member made flick. Everybody could send in say 30 secs of footage of themselves. Or, if you had a little script and shot list, more specific footage could be requested. People could vote for the sound track, etc. The script could be written on this forum. Could be fun.

It would be a good experience for the NY vid next year.

Could possibly raise some cash by designing a Harvey Road t-shirt. Members could submit their design, and a vote could be taken. There could be more than one winning design. It can be done on cafepress.com
Those are all great ideas. I'd need help though. Somebody to organize it, and somebody to edit it. Job, Family, Skiing, Blog and Forum. I am beyond maxed out.  I could easily help with sponsors, and distribution.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Harv t-shirts? HR T-shirts? Ball caps ? I like it !

" See You on the Road - Harvey Road ! ". Hehehe.

This could be cool, spawn a whole marketing campaign. The site and the man's name lend theirselves to so much. I've made word play with them both before, that's " Harvly news "......

" How many Harvs does it take to make Snow ? "

"Just one, but you also need a Zelda."

" How many Harvs does it take to kill SkiADK ? "

" Uno. "
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

" NY SKI BLOG....It"s Sooo HARV ! "

" NY SKI BLOG....There's Harv-ly Any Blog Better ! "

Instead of " Where's Waldo? " ....It could be " Hidden Harv ". Find Harv in this pic of a lift line or trees or crowded trail or lodge. Look for his self-described " Puke green jacket ". Find the yellow plated CRharVey in the parking lot pic.

Might even  spawn a  new saying for all that's rad, gnarly, or steezy.....

" Look at that guy Telie, that is soooo Harv! "

" I  skied all day, bell to bell "    " You are so Harv, dude!"

" Did you see me shred that Glade? I totally Harv'ed it! "

" Did you see how easily that guy ripped Rumor? He's got steeze, man. Harvsteeze."

" I wanna ski like Harv! "
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After it catches on, Chicks be saying, " Did you see that hot guy? He is Sooooo Harv!"

Harvette groupies and dude fans called Harv'rs......Harvskis.....?

Oh wait, " Submit a great TR for a chance to ski with Harv on the next " Harvski Day "

Ok. I'm done. But I so Harv'ed it.
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
In reply to this post by Burgermeister
Aw, Snowballs has a crush. That's cute

Burgermeister wrote
What if you do the NY ski film next year? Use the summer to plan things out; write a script, shot list, gather resources, organize personnel, and equipment, etc.

For this season, how about a member made flick. Everybody could send in say 30 secs of footage of themselves. Or, if you had a little script and shot list, more specific footage could be requested. People could vote for the sound track, etc. The script could be written on this forum. Could be fun.
Ski videos aren't about a set script. I feel like the way the season plays out is what determines your theme.

Shot lists are hard because you never know how the season will play out until it's there. Hell, that's true day to day. When filming skiing you can't exactly do a second take take with a fresh canvas.

Sharing video is a pain because file is so large. The easiest way to do it would be with an external hard drive. And Goofy is right. different file formats get to be a pain to manage.

That being said, I have a video camera! If I end up going to Clarkson it would make skiing Gore a lot more convenient.
Reply | Threaded
|

Burgermeister
CONTENTS DELETED
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
In reply to this post by tBatt
fujative wrote
Aw, Snowballs has a crush. That's cute
Why Fuj, that's so LL! Some things do have 9 lives.
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
I'm just messin with ya, Snowballs.

Burgmeister - Why so edgy? I didn't say it would be impossible, I was just stating how I think it would go. But you keep talking about wasting money standing around.. It's not like we're paying the actors, we're not paying the filmers, and we're not paying to use the set. The only fee I see is the cost of tapes and printing to a DVD if we're going that route.

Sorry if I sounded so blunt about it. I would have elaborated more if I had a real keyboard. Mine is fried and I typed the whole message with this. And then the window closed so I had to re-type it.

I still don't think that skiing videos have a solid shot list. They just label everything when they import and sort stuff into folders. You're gonna have to scrub through shots regardless, just not as precisely if you have the clips properly labeled vs Clip_001.avi

"Burgermeister wrote
We're just talking about some 0's and 1's.
There are 10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't

As to the slideshow vs. the video - I think video is much more exciting, but slideshow would be much easier. I'm sure someone out here has heard of Jay Pooler. He's a skier up at Gore and he always has his Canon 5D(?) with him. He takes a TON of pictures and is always doing some fun slideshows with them. If someone asked, I'm sure he'd be willing to help.

Jay's Site

Jay's Youtube Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

Burgermeister
CONTENTS DELETED
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
Try getting in contact with Craig Stay from CS FIlms. He's a Whiteface local who makes ski films.
http://csfilms-media.com/contact-us/

Their teaser from last year:

Here's an awesome program for writing screenplays that my media arts teacher told me about. It's a free download and very user friendly.
http://celtx.com/
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
hey im willin to play the part of the leading man strong silent type . im all HARVed up for that
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.