classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

AP: Skier Presumed Dead at Tuckerman Ravine

Harvey
Administrator
(Looks like the AP is a little confused about the use of the phrase "Tuckerman Ravine.")

Search for hiker in Tuckerman Ravine now a recovery effort

The Boston man slid into Tuckerman Ravine Sunday and rescuers have been unable to locate him

By Lynne Tuohy / The Associated Press

CONCORD, N.H. — New Hampshire forest officials said Tuesday that conditions on Mount Washington remained too treacherous to resume a search for a Massachusetts man who fell into a deep crevasse, and prospects for his survival are "grim."

Tuckerman Ravine was subjected to a spate of 80-degree days several weeks ago, hastening hazardous conditions. The recent cold weather has caused ice to form and snow to harden like concrete, making any fall potentially lethal.

Norman Priebatsch, 67, of Boston was hiking in the Tuckerman Ravine with his 23-year-old son Seth and others on Sunday, when he lost his footing, slid over some rocks, went down a steep snow-covered slope, and fell into the Tuckerman Ravine, authorities say.

Snow ranger Jeff Lane was lowered 50 feet into the crevasse, using rescue and lighting gear, during a five-hour search Sunday that went into the night. He said he could see another 80-feet down but could not see to the bottom and did not see or hear Priebatsch. Conditions were too treacherous for a search Monday.

http://www.pressherald.com/news/search-for-hiker-now-a-recovery-effort_2012-04-04.html
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: AP: Skier Presumed Dead at Tuckerman Ravine

dmc_hunter
Very sad..

Like the rangers always say - stay the FK away from crevasses... If you fall into one - extrication is unlikely.

I plan my routes around the headwall when it's crevassed.  Not only for my safety but for the safety of the rescue people..
I took one look down one of those suckers on a climb there and just saw 50' straight down into darkness. Nothing but ice, rock and cold water...

Also - if I'm on something really exposed I'll snowboard with my ice axe in hand just in case...  This is serious stuff...
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: AP: Skier Presumed Dead at Tuckerman Ravine

I:)skiing
Glad this was posted.  I plan on doing a trip this spring.   I would have read and  been cautious, but now I will double that up.