41 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: ATV vs Side-by-Side

Harvey
Administrator
campgottagopee wrote
Yep, you'll have reverse as well as a high and low range. Most of the time hill descent = engine brake, so you would be correct. Mine will "freewheel", just like a snowmobile does when the clutch isn't engaged. When I'm going down a steepish hill in high range I tap the gas to keep the clutch engaged which then acts like a engine brake. If I'm in low range it's a non-issue. I wouldn't let a machine having or not having hill descent be the deciding factor for a purchase. Tapping the gas will accomplish the same thing. IMO.

So if you give it just a little bit of gas it engages the engine and slows you down. Sounds simple.

Also what does anyone think about the difference between handle bars vs steering wheel?
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
In reply to this post by Harvey
The ATV will not be nearly the fun for the Friday night run around the property with a friend or seven.  
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
I think the advantage of the atv is the width.  Other than that I don't see any.  They are tippier, suspension is different.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by tjf1967
tjf1967 wrote
The ATV will not be nearly the fun for the Friday night run around the property with a friend or seven.
Spot on. You can put a cooler in the back, 3 up front, and go for a ride. They also make bench seats for the rear bed to hold additional passengers, if needed.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Harvey wrote
campgottagopee wrote
Yep, you'll have reverse as well as a high and low range. Most of the time hill descent = engine brake, so you would be correct. Mine will "freewheel", just like a snowmobile does when the clutch isn't engaged. When I'm going down a steepish hill in high range I tap the gas to keep the clutch engaged which then acts like a engine brake. If I'm in low range it's a non-issue. I wouldn't let a machine having or not having hill descent be the deciding factor for a purchase. Tapping the gas will accomplish the same thing. IMO.

So if you give it just a little bit of gas it engages the engine and slows you down. Sounds simple.

Yep, the throttle is your friend. When in doubt throttle out

Harvey wrote

Also what does anyone think about the difference between handle bars vs steering wheel?
Wheel. You can put a suicide ball on the wheel so you can have the other hand free to do things like drink a beer .
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
I want a side-by-side and a tractor and a snowmobile.
And a farm
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
Brownski wrote
And a farm
Same. Might as well throw an airplane into the mix.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
tBatt wrote
Brownski wrote
And a farm
Yes- a super cub with tundra tires to be exact
Reply | Threaded
|

BRLKED
This post was updated on .
So Harvey being familiar with your trails a UTV would mean widening all trails, so much for singletrack bike riding. On the other hand they become groomable for skiing, add some TATOO tracks and a ginzu and your good to go.
Reply | Threaded
|

scrundy
In reply to this post by Brownski
I’ve been living on 125 acre my whole life just about. The more time you spend in the country the more toys you accumulate. My latest is a weed wacker with a saw blade, what a time saver cleaning up hedgerows. I had a atv at some point and found it useless. I’m not the kind of guy who’s gonna go raising hell on the trails. I use my UTV for property upkeep, trails, firewood, deer season running back and forth to camp, hauling Mulch , dirt, rocks anything. On weekends me the wife and kid go for rides on the dirt roads in Pennsylvania as we are on boarder. Been seeing more and more of them up here on the hill. Think you’d be much happier with one over a atv
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
In reply to this post by tBatt
tBatt wrote
Brownski wrote
And a farm
Oh, and a JetSki, too....don’t forget the JetSki!  
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by BRLKED
BRLKED wrote
So Harvey being familiar with your trails a UTV would mean widening all trails, so much for singletrack bike riding. On the other hand they become groomable for skiing, add some TATOO tracks and a ginzu and your good to go.
I have been thinking about this since the beginning. It's why I'm focused on the width. I actually called Steve about it, today, before you posted.

How much do you think I would have to cut? I also thought about trails that are to some extent separate. Part MTB, part ATV, part both.

Don't really want any grooming in winter.

Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
In reply to this post by JTG4eva!
JTG4eva! wrote
tBatt wrote
Brownski wrote
And a farm
As a kayaker I have a bit of a love/hate thing going on with jet skis and speedboats. They’re tons of fun when I’m on board but Terrifying when they’re bearing down on me and the dude driving isn’t moving his head at all. I’ve had to stick my paddle up in the air wave it around to get them to veer off.
But yeah, I want one too.
And a houseboat.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
This post was updated on .
Ranger is only 10" wider than the ATV

The ATV you linked to is actually longer than the UTV. Inda woods that can be as big of an issue as width.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
So ATV means handle bars, UTV means steering wheel?
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Yep

Having had both, like Scrundy, I'll never have another ATV. When I bought my UTV I held onto my ATV thinking it would be nice to have both. My ATV sat in the shop for 2 years, never used it once. Another big + for a UTV over an ATV is the fact you can run it with one hand on the wheel. ATV you need both hands to run the throttle and brake where the UTV has foot controls.
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
Atv came from the old three wheelers. UTV came from dune buggies.  I think farmers would be more apt to get a ATV.  You would be getting a work ATV. They are not much fun.
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
In reply to this post by Brownski
Brownski wrote
JTG4eva! wrote
tBatt wrote
Brownski wrote
And a farm
As a kayaker I have a bit of a love/hate thing going on with jet skis and speedboats. They’re tons of fun when I’m on board but Terrifying when they’re bearing down on me and the dude driving isn’t moving his head at all. I’ve had to stick my paddle up in the air wave it around to get them to veer off.
But yeah, I want one too.
And a houseboat.
Make sure to get the 2020 Ford F250 Super Duty Limited  with the available 6.7L Power Stroke V8 Turbo Diesel to tow your trailer with all your new toys, starting at $83,600.
https://www.ford.com/trucks/super-duty/models/f250-limited/
Reply | Threaded
|

witch hobble
Harvey wrote
 maybe plowing(?)
If you were living there full time maybe....but as a vacation/weekend place I don’t think you would want the burden.

You have a long week at work, drive to the mountains on a friday night, you want to get in and get a fire going, eat, relax, whatever. Not have to hike up the driveway, get the rig fired up (hopefully) and plow a weeks worth of snow and ice from the driveway.

Pay a local to keep it plowed, and use your toys for fun and property maintenance, not access. IMHO
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Currently have a plowguy.  Nobody really wants to plow us, driveway is a little scary I guess. It's only happening now because Shaman has the juice, calling in a favor.

Our current guy lives 1000 feet below us and sometimes doesn't get it done, if it doesn't snow at his house.

Talking about moving up in 3-4 years. Would not buy an ATV/UTV before then, no where to keep it and wouldn't get to use it much.