AWD vs. FWD w/ Snow Tires

45 messages Options
Milo Maltbie Milo Maltbie
Reply |
Open this post in threaded view

Re: AWD vs. FWD w/ Snow Tires

Harvey wrote
I had them a few CRVs ago. Separate rims. It was a royal pain in the ass, and they didn't last very long.  I especially hated storing the rims and changing them or putting them in the car so someone else could do it... How many miles do you get out of them?
I get 3 seasons on the car The Woman Of My Dreams drives to work, and sometimes 4 on my car, then they become summer tires.

It's getting harder to switch them out twice a year, but it reminds that my son and I would line up all the cars and do them all at once. My driveway looked like a NASCAR pit stop in the snow. That still makes me happy.

mm  
"Everywhere I turn, here I am." Susan Tedeschi
Cornhead Cornhead
Reply |

Milo Maltbie wrote
Harvey wrote
I had them a few CRVs ago. Separate rims. It was a royal pain in the ass, and they didn't last very long.  I especially hated storing the rims and changing them or putting them in the car so someone else could do it... How many miles do you get out of them?
I get 3 seasons on the car The Woman Of My Dreams drives to work, and sometimes 4 on my car, then they become summer tires.

It's getting harder to switch them out twice a year, but it reminds that my son and I would line up all the cars and do them all at once. My driveway looked like a NASCAR pit stop in the snow. That still makes me happy.

mm
This is a benefit too, my car came with 17" rims, my steel snow rims are 16", the sidewalls
on the snows are much higher than on the summer tires. The overall diameter is almost identical to the stock rims and tires, so no speedo error. The snows are quite a bit narrower too. The high sidewalls act as shock absorbers for normally shitty winter roads. The narrower tires cut through snow instead of plowing it. It is a pita to swap them over, but not that bad.
warp daddy warp daddy
Reply |

In reply to this post by PeeTex
THIS ^^^^^
Harvey Harvey
Reply |

In reply to this post by Cornhead
I always wondered about speedo error.  As the tires get smaller you are going slower than it says.

Wear is a minimal factor?
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
D.B. Cooper D.B. Cooper
Reply |

In reply to this post by Cornhead
Cornhead wrote
This is a benefit too, my car came with 17" rims, my steel snow rims are 16", the sidewalls
on the snows are much higher than on the summer tires. The overall diameter is almost identical to the stock rims and tires, so no speedo error. The snows are quite a bit narrower too. The high sidewalls act as shock absorbers for normally shitty winter roads.
I'll bet handling around corners is not as good.  I had 19" summers and 17" winter rims on a Venza I had once.  Big difference.
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Harvey Harvey
Reply |

In reply to this post by Milo Maltbie
Maybe a separate Snow Tires Forum?

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
ADmiKe ADmiKe
Reply |

In reply to this post by JasonWx
JasonWx wrote
I own 2 subies and they do burn some oil...both have 90k + on them..maybe it's getting time for a change
You sure its not leaky headgaskets?  Burning oil could be mis-diagnosed as leaking oil if headgaskets are weeping and it's dripping on exhaust and burning off before you see it on your driveway.

And it's mostly the 2.5L non-turbo engines that blow headgaskets, not the 2.0L ones.  But most Imprezas/Legacys/Outbacks/Forester are 2.5 anyways, 2.0 is the older WRX.
JasonWx JasonWx
Reply |

ADmiKe wrote
JasonWx wrote
I own 2 subies and they do burn some oil...both have 90k + on them..maybe it's getting time for a change
You sure its not leaky headgaskets?  Burning oil could be mis-diagnosed as leaking oil if headgaskets are weeping and it's dripping on exhaust and burning off before you see it on your driveway.

And it's mostly the 2.5L non-turbo engines that blow headgaskets, not the 2.0L ones.  But most Imprezas/Legacys/Outbacks/Forester are 2.5 anyways, 2.0 is the older WRX.
It's not a lot..Usually 1/2 qt every 5k..From what i read , its' the nature of the beast...
"Peace and Love"
tjf1967 tjf1967
Reply |

They told me that at he dealership about my discovery.  They said seeping is normal.  I was like not where I come from.  Fix the dam thing it wrecking my driveway.  They fixed it.
campgottagopee campgottagopee
Reply |

How do you like that Discovery? Is it a 19? The new ones look sweet.