Accident Avoided (by an inch)

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
76 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Accident NOT Avoided (by an inch) REDUX

snoloco
I have been taken out 3 times in 10 years.  First time was on Hellgate at Hunter, second time on Skyeburst at Killington, and third time in South Base at Creek.  I am having more close calls on South at Creek this year since they got rid of the park pass which you needed to take a safety quiz to get.  Never had a close call on South last year.  Even this year, there are much more close calls on North than South.  Most of the people who go to South are good since it is all rails and jumps and there are no greens in sight.  North gets tons and tons of beginners since it is the sole peak with a green from the top.  Being in Jersey, lots of people learn there as well.  This is why I go to South 75% of the time that I am at Creek and why I can ski and ride park now.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
CMR
Reply | Threaded
|

CMR
It's simple.  The downhill skier/rider has the right of way.  Always.  Period.  

If you are uphill it is your responsibility to be in control to the point that you can avoid a collision with the person below you.  Doesn't matter if they are an azz-clown or not (a term, BTW, which I learned here at the NYS blog and which I've grown quite fond of),  

If you are approaching a knoll you should assume there is some azz-hat (another winner) stopped right in the middle of the trail just out of your field of vision.  Doesn't matter.  You are uphill.  YOU are responsible for the collision about to happen.  

My two cents...

That said, that guy boarding on Cloud in the video seemed in control to me.  Maybe the video doesn't show just how close he got to you Sirskier.  I'm sure that he had a good view of you given your vantage of him in the shot.  He really did appear to be a skilled boarder.  Tough call.
frk
Reply | Threaded
|

frk
i skied saturday. it was fast and firm and the crowds were small. i skied on every chair with no wait. your video showed no evidence of an out of control or yahoo boarder. Why were you standing in the middle of the trail intersection? if this spooked you, you shouldn't be skiing on a weekend. the worst spots were the usual, the saddle area and the top of the arena. it was like a horde of drunken lemmings or zombies. in other words, another day of fine eastern skiing.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
frk wrote
Why were you standing in the middle of the trail intersection? if this spooked you, you shouldn't be skiing on a weekend. the worst spots were the usual, the saddle area and the top of the arena.
I lean more towards this point of view. You're in the middle of a trail, around a blind turn, in a place where people are trying to gather speed for the flat section. Any "out of control" moves that that border had to make were the result of a riding adjustment when he saw you there.

Yes, the downhill skier always has the right of way, but the Responsibility Code also says you shouldn't just blindly enter a trail or stop where you are not visible from above.

All that being said, it does feel like there's more skiers skiing faster and more recklessly these days. I blame two things:

1. Better skis
2. Too much grooming
Reply | Threaded
|

Face4Me
mattchuck2 wrote
All that being said, it does feel like there's more skiers skiing faster and more recklessly these days. I blame two things:

1. Better skis
2. Too much grooming
Don't forget skiing apps ... was riding in the Gondola at Whiteface recently, with Camp & Pro1860, and a guy in the car with us starting asking about what skiing apps we used. That immediately led to the inevitable question from him, "What's your top speed?"

I know lots of people who use these apps and are always trying to "top" themselves and/or their friends.
It's easy to be against something ... It's hard to be for something!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
Don't forget to blame rap music too

I was hit at WF while waiting to see if the summit quad was going to open or not. My first reaction was to really come unglued and go nuts on this kid, but I didn't. He was VERY apologetic and it was apparent he was feeling real bad about what had just happened. My point is that skiing is a dangerous sport and accidents do happen, imo, as long as there are no injuries sobeit.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Face4Me
Face4Me wrote
mattchuck2 wrote

1. Better skis
2. Too much grooming
Don't forget skiing apps ... was riding in the Gondola at Whiteface recently, with Camp & Pro1860, and a guy in the car with us starting asking about what skiing apps we used. That immediately led to the inevitable question from him, "What's your top speed?"

I know lots of people who use these apps and are always trying to "top" themselves and/or their friends.
Excellent point --- that's why I don't use those silly apps --- i ski with a bunch of stat stuffers anyways
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
In reply to this post by skimore
skimore wrote
sirskier wrote
  Tell me what you think did he really have to come this close to me??   <nabble_embed>https://vimeo.com/87986599</nabble_embed>
You're in the middle of the trail
You couldn't be standing in a worse spot than that point. One would expect a 44 year old who's been skiing for 39 years to have more common sense to know enough to not stand in the middle of a trail merge, especially under a blind turn.  

If I was the uphill skier your edit would of included some pow in the face.  

I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
In reply to this post by skimore
skimore wrote
kenneywallace wrote
flying 100 feet through the air
Impressive. Must have one of those Iron Man suits
hahahhahahahah  

10 bucks says you didnt carry more than 13 feet!
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
In reply to this post by CMR
CMR wrote
 Doesn't matter if they are an azz-clown or not (a term, BTW, which I learned here at the NYS blog and which I've grown quite fond of)
you are welcome
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote

I was hit at WF while waiting to see if the summit quad was going to open or not. My first reaction was to really come unglued and go nuts on this kid, but I didn't. He was VERY apologetic and it was apparent he was feeling real bad about what had just happened. My point is that skiing is a dangerous sport and accidents do happen, imo, as long as there are no injuries sobeit.
my first thought was, did camp cause any blunt force tramau to the youngster...  camp = old growth oak tree!  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
ScottyJack wrote
campgottagopee wrote

my first thought was, did camp cause any blunt force tramau to the youngster...  camp = old growth oak tree!
It sucks getting old ---- kid caught me on a good day
Reply | Threaded
|

pro2860
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote
Excellent point --- that's why I don't use those silly apps --- i ski with a bunch of stat stuffers anyways
My what a short memory you have...YOU were the one who introduced us to that app!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
pro2860 wrote
campgottagopee wrote
Excellent point --- that's why I don't use those silly apps --- i ski with a bunch of stat stuffers anyways
My what a short memory you have...YOU were the one who introduced us to that app!
True, I am a trend setter.....I make thing s cool....look at all the camo now

I don't need those silly apps to know who's the fastest any_A_ways
Reply | Threaded
|

pro2860
In reply to this post by Face4Me
Face4Me wrote

This is why alpinereplay did away with the top speed "challenge" and leaderboard features
Reply | Threaded
|

sirskier
Great feedback
On piste is better then no piste