Additional Schuyler Island trip pics

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Additional Schuyler Island trip pics

Brownski
Some times I take a hundred pics in a day and only two of three are really any good. Other times I have tons and deciding which ones to use becomes very difficult. That's how I felt about my last trip. Story's on the blog...

"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Additional Schuyler Island trip pics

Brownski
I realize the bow of my red kayak gets repetitive but I can't emphasize too much how much I love that boat. It's big and slow but I feel like I could safely paddle it anywhere.

These stairs are the only permanent structure on the island except for a coast guard light tower on the east side, facing the big part of the lake.

Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
Brownski wrote
I realize the bow of my red kayak gets repetitive but I can't emphasize too much how much I love that boat. It's big and slow but I feel like I could safely paddle it anywhere.
Looks like she could handle pretty much anything a big lake like Champlain could throw at her.  My boats are at the other end of the spectrum: light (relatively) canoes that you can portage easily around the Adks.  My 2-person canoe is the stripper in the Rollins thread, comes in around 44-ish pounds.  My other canoe is also a stripper that I built around the same time (25 yrs ago), it's a 1-man, 12 footer based on a Wee Lassie design, comes in around 32-ish pounds.  Not nearly as light as say a Hornbeck, but light enough to go pretty much anywhere.

Have you paddled on Lake George Brownski?  One of the trips I've always wanted to do (but can never steal away for 3 days to do it) is to paddle the length of Lake George (32 miles) from Million Dollar Beach to Ti, camping for 2 nights along the way.  Right now (early Sept) is the perfect time to do that trip, a kayak like yours would be perfect (LG can splash up some pretty big waves).
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Yeah that kayak seems like it can handle anything but it's the opposite of light.I used to have a very cool little single place canoe that's more like yours but I passed it along  to my sister a while ago. It lives on Parradox lake now.
Many years ago I camped at Rogers rock and brought my canoe along. Beautiful area. I've also explored around Bolton Landing more recently when we rented a cabin there. A multi day trip from one end of LG to the other sounds extremely doable to me. If you could get campsite reservations at Rogers rock and/or someplace in the Lake George Islands it would be pretty cool. I's definitely worth researching.