Alex Smith Long Lake Folk Music

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
1 message Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Alex Smith Long Lake Folk Music

miker92
Seeing as a great number of us either live in or have a strong connection to the Adirondacks, I thought this would be as good a place as any to put in a little plug for one of my closest friends and his successes in the world of folk and bluegrass music. Trust that I wouldn't make such a post solely for personal reasons. If you like music and mountains, this is worth your time.

Smith grew up in Long Lake, NY, in the heart of the Adirondack Park. He was raised on the albums of master folk musicians Dan Berggren and Christopher Shaw, among others, whose works are strongly invested in the area. He attended St. Lawrence University, where he majored in English and simultaneously developed his music career. Smith toured extensively during the summer of 2012 and signed a recording contract with Wepecket Island Records, an acclaimed folk label, that fall. He has since toured again, all over the North Country and as far away as South Carolina, stopping at notable venues including Caffe Lena in Saratoga Springs along the way. Smith's music has been praised for its ability to merge elements of traditional music with subject matter that is currently relevant to the towns and people of the Adirondacks. Look for his first professional studio album, Hamilton County,  which he recorded in August. It should be released sometime in late autumn or early winter.

Here's a video of Alex Smith performing "Long Lake" during the summer of 2013. He is accompanied by fiddler Jake Brillhart and guitarist Dylan Rice.