Alpine Racing Camp at Gore

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Alpine Racing Camp at Gore

Denis.N
There is a racing camp this weekend at Gore. I'm thinking about signing up.

Anyone who attended it in prior years? Any recommendations?
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Alpine Racing Camp at Gore

Hoser
I have attended it twice over the last 3 or 4 years, with 2 different coaches and it was GREAT both times.
Did have one or two folks either drop out in the first day, or not do the second, as they were not the right "fit"

If you are an aggressive skier, looking to improve your tactical approach (with your skiing, not necessary the gates) - go for it.

One downside could be the about 90 minutes each day was spent on the NASTAR course, but do not let that stop you, as you do not learn in gates, you apply what you learn.  

Definately recommend doing the two day to build on what your learn day 1.   Price is right for passholders, especially with the food it includes.   Also had video which was cool to see my areas opportunity.

Enjoy!
Reply | Threaded
|

Denis.N
Thank You for advice, Hoser.

I think I'll go for it. I wanted to do racing camp last season, but that was the weekend many (me including) got scared away by weathermen.

In addition, I want to see how the whole camp thing is organized, thinking about signing up my wife for ladies camp in a month.

Reply | Threaded
|

Hoser
Denis how did it go?
Reply | Threaded
|

Denis.N
We had a group of 6 skiers with instructor Jerry. Another instructor was helping with video.

After worm-up run on Sunway, first morning we were at J-bar, where slalom course was set up. In the afternoon we trained at Arena carving course, then few runs from gondola and wine-and-cheese party with video review.

Most of second day's was spend at the carving course on Arena, venturing to the summit few times.

I have mixed emotions about weekend camp. Instructor was great and lessons were very useful, not only in for racing but for free-skiing as well. I will be hitting carving course every chance I get and try to improve times with much more confidence. Missing great conditions on Hawkeye and Lies makes me wonder if I should have done 1-day camp.

Reply | Threaded
|

I:)skiing
The choice between ski improvment camps and good ski conditions is always a tough one.   But you can't go wrong as long as there is a coach/instructor who wants to ski--rather than talk.    I had stickers made up this year for my camp kids..."shut up and ski"   Placed them all dead center of their helmets.  

Here is a link to a video of my son being interviewed and then skiing the park...he does his first ankle grab.   You can see his helmet sticker if you pause the clip.     Yellow Triangle.    

make full size--right side bottom, and pause when "snow is awesome"    

Proud dad also says: pause the ankle grab...sweet!

http://www.youtube.com/user/LibertyMountainPA

Sort of like:   You go to a party and three ladies want you to walk them home, they all fit your needs/desires whatever they may be.     Dream of a tough choice...but you can't go wrong.