classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
34 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Altitude Sickness Sucks

PeeTex
Safe travels, glad you are feeling better
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

DomB
Sorry to hear about this.  Hope you get better soon.
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
In reply to this post by Z
Coach Z wrote
the only place I have ever encounter these issues is summit county.  Its pretty much the only resorts where you are sleeping above 9k feet in this country
Have you had difficulty staying at Alta, or do you sleep down in the valley?  Alta base is 8500.  On my trip there 2 years ago a couple of the guys had minor difficulties the first day or two (headaches) but nothing as severe as what you experienced.  
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
one year I stayed at the Cliff Lodge at Snowbird. Arrived in the evening , next day skied my ass off..That night up all night with nausea and crushing headache..Next day I was fine..I'm sure it was dehydration,

Severe dehydration along with the altitude can bring on bad gastro issues.. At 9000 ft the air is extremely dry..Breathing alone can dehydrate you..

"Peace and Love"
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
I've stayed at the Cliff Lodge with not issues.  Same goes for Vail, Beaver Creek and dozens of other places out West under 9k.

Ahh the gift that keeps giving - once you get back home all the crap in your lungs that accumulated wants to forcibly eject in coughing fits.  I'm headed to the store to get some Musinex
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
sig
Reply | Threaded
|

sig
In reply to this post by JasonWx
JasonWx wrote
one year I stayed at the Cliff Lodge at Snowbird. Arrived in the evening , next day skied my ass off..That night up all night with nausea and crushing headache..Next day I was fine..I'm sure it was dehydration,

Severe dehydration along with the altitude can bring on bad gastro issues.. At 9000 ft the air is extremely dry..Breathing alone can dehydrate you..
i ski with a camelback on. i watch friends ski all morning and never eat or drink anything. if you performed the same type of exertion in the summer and never drank you would pass out.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
In reply to this post by Z
Coach Z wrote
I've stayed at the Cliff Lodge with not issues.  Same goes for Vail, Beaver Creek and dozens of other places out West under 9k.

Ahh the gift that keeps giving - once you get back home all the crap in your lungs that accumulated wants to forcibly eject in coughing fits.  I'm headed to the store to get some Musinex
This sounds like the flu..
Altitude issues rectify themselves real fast after you go down..
"Peace and Love"
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Doc diagnosed it as classic severe AMS but not Hape or the worse one that are life threatening.  

When I ski out west I alway carry a platypus water bladder and I drank several liters of water that day followed by electrolyte drinks after.  I did have two low test 4 percent beers that night which may have been my undoing.  The hot tub was also blazing hot so that might have hurt too but I only sat in it for 5 mins.  

Everything back to norm now at home.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
i guess you had some pulmonary edema...cerebral edema can kill you quick..

beer and hot tub..bad combo at sea level..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
JasonWx wrote
beer and hot tub..bad combo at sea level..
Very true, I never keep my beer in the hot tub, usually in the snow bank outside the hot tub...
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
Your mistake was wearing a suit in the tub, so you overheated. Next time, go natural. Chicks dig it.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Benny Profane wrote
Your mistake was wearing a suit in the tub, so you overheated. Next time, go natural. Chicks dig it.
Yea - I actually stopped wearing a suit when I discovered that the chlorine was ruining my ties.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
PeeTex wrote
Benny Profane wrote
Yea - I actually stopped wearing a suit when I discovered that the chlorine was ruining my ties.
I didn't know Henny Youngman was posting from the dead...
"Peace and Love"
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by JasonWx
I didn't drink beer in the hot tub

Had 2 session ipa 4% with dinner.