Another Toll Rd Report

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
2 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Another Toll Rd Report

Highpeaksdrifter
I’m hesitant to post this cause it is not as good as Matt’s, but I took some pics so might as well put them up. Plus I haven’t given Harv any content lately and I don’t want him mad at me.

My bud has to bale on me so I’ll be solo. I decide to check out the ski area first to see where the snow line starts (around mid) and to see if anyone is hiking the trails. No one was and I decide to hit the Toll Rd. which was the plan anyway.
Late start, around 11:00, put my skis on my pack, put that on, and then snow shoes, all the time asking myself why I don’t just get AT gear. At first I see a few x-country skiers coming down then no one for awhile. About a half hour in I reach for my water bottle and realize it most have fallen out of my pack in the car. I can either walk back down or "slow" shoes off, ski boots on and ski back only to have to reverse the process at the car. Neither option struck me as appealing so I decide to keep going hoping I’ll see someone I know who’ll hook me up with some water.

About 15 minutes later I run into my friend Bill and his dog coming down and he gives me one of his bottles, saved the day. He told me he only went as far as the LP turn today. He said late yesterday he and another guy had broken trail to the top. I thank him again and continue.

Probably around 2,600 feet my top strap holding my skis breaks and my skis are hanging heavy to my left. I’m sure I could have done something to fix it, but I decide to keep going, hoping to get to the LP turn. When I get to the pump house my left shoulder is sore so I decide to wimp out and go down from there. I was a little disappointed in myself, but it felt great to get that pack off.

On the way down I run into WF terrain park master Dave Randell and about 8 of his disciples building features, they looked like they where having a great time.

The best thing about the toll road is how happy everyone one is to be there on early snow, everyone is in a great mood. Half the people coming down stopped to chat for a bit and talk about how great life is today.

When I go to my car a girl I had seen coming down asked me if I’d drive her back to Wilmington. Her 2 friends had gone to the top and where planning to drop into the ski area trails then walk when the snow ran out. That’s ambitious on a good day, in this heavy snow with limited visibility, even more so.

In summary I had a great time, but I have to get AT gear.
There's truth that lives
And truth that dies
I don't know which
So never mind - Leonard Cohen
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Another Toll Rd Report

Harvey
Administrator
Highpeaksdrifter wrote
I’m hesitant to post this cause it is not as good as Matt’s, but I took some pics so might as well put them up. Plus I haven’t given Harv any content lately and I don’t want him mad at me.
It's all good. After MONTHS of "we wish we were skiing" stuff > you went skiing HPD.

Just seeing the snow on the ground is satisfying.

Highpeaksdrifter wrote
The best thing about the toll road is how happy everyone one is to be there on early snow, everyone is in a great mood. Half the people coming down stopped to chat for a bit and talk about how great life is today.
+1 Well said.

Highpeaksdrifter wrote
When I go to my car a girl I had seen coming down asked me if I’d drive her back to Wilmington. Her 2 friends had gone to the top and where planning to drop into the ski area trails then walk when the snow ran out. That’s ambitious on a good day, in this heavy snow with limited visibility, even more so.
Love the girl power.

Nice report HPD.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp