classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Beartown Ski Area, NY 2/1/2014

nelsap
This post was updated on .
While researching for my new book, Lost Ski Areas of the Northern Adirondacks, I am trying to hit up all of the open ski areas throughout the region. On Saturday I drove 2 hours north to hit up Beartown Ski Area, located on Beartown Road in West Chazy, NY. It is always exciting to ski a new area regardless of size.

Beartown has a vertical drop of about 140-150', and is served by a 1971 Hall T-bar as well as a 1977 Pomalift. There are two slopes, the Main Slope and North Slope. There is also the "Orchard Trails" section with a halfpipe as well as the North Slope Trails, and a few connectors in between. Only the Main/North slope and connectors were open, but another 3-6" should open everything else up as the base is rock hard and solid.

Arriving at 930AM, the area was not yet open but was by 10AM. I had introduced myself to Deborah, who runs the snack bar, who then introduced me to mountain manager Eric, and the Beartown Race Team coach Mike. I also met Matt who works on maintenance at the mountain. Everybody was welcoming and friendly, and within 20 minutes I felt like like I had a great feeling about how great a place Beartown is for families.

Conditions were groomed packed powder, and the Race Team was practicing on the Main Slope. The team is geared towards children, and you can tell how much fun they were having. Mike was telling me how much the parents appreciate having Beartown nearby, to get the kids out of the house and to get some exercise.

Lift tickets are affordable, at $20 for adults, and you can make a lot of (short) runs on the T-bar. The poma wasn't open but was going to open in the afternoon for more race training. While there is nothing steep at Beartown, the trails are ideal for kids and those learning to ski. Lake Champlain is visible from the summit, and the trails face east.

The base lodge is cozy, and breakfast/lunch is about as cheap as you can get in 2014!

I would definitely recommend Beartown to families, those learning to ski, or for those like me like to add another area to their skied list - and of course, those of you who like to support smaller ski areas so they will be there in the future.

Enjoy the photos and video, Jeremy

Video of riding the Hall T-bar

Skiing from the top of Main Slope to North Slope

Beartown Trail Map
Trail Map

Base of Beartown
Base of Beartown

Main Slope
Main Slope

Summit of Main Slope
Summit of Main Slope

Hall T-bar Plaque
Hall T-bar Plaque

Riding the T-bar
Riding the T-bar

Chair swing, perhaps from Paleface, overlooking Main Slope
Chair swing, likely from Paleface, overlooking Main Slope

Pomalift
Pomalift

North Slope
North Slope

Inside the base lodge
Inside the base lodge

Menu
Menu
Jeremy Davis Founder, New England / NorthEast Lost Ski Areas Project www.nelsap.org
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Beartown Ski Area, NY 2/1/2014

freshyslayer
I grew up on beartown road and was on the race team. I used to ski there all the time. Night skiing was so fun and everyone was so friendly. it is an amazing place and I cant wait to take my kids there. the 1/2 pipe has been there since the late 80s early 90s. we still own land on the begining of the road. Thanks for the review!
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Beartown Ski Area, NY 2/1/2014

x10003q
Thanks for the report. It is great that Beartown is still going strong. You have to love the food and drink prices.