Belleayre 12-2-2018

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Belleayre 12-2-2018

Brownski

I’ve heard that a bad day of skiing (biking, hiking, fishing etc...) is better then a good day of work. Well I can’t quite bring myself to say today was a bad of skiing but... Conditions weren’t exactly terrible. Coverage was great for the second day of December. It rained a bit, not a full on downpour but a consistent misty drizzle. All in all, after missing out on all the excitement last week and with Junior taking his SATs on Saturday, any skiing was welcome. So we went.

I made a pit stop in Newburgh to pick up some kids’ skis from fellow NYSBer JohnnyontheSpot who turned out to be a great guy. Junior is very grateful for his generosity and looking forward to upgrading his gear as soon as I get around to adjusting the bindings for him.

So we were considering bagging the whole thing if it was really atrocious once we got there but it wasn’t bad enough to scare us off. Anyway it was only our second day this season and the first for my younger son so I didn’t want to miss the chance.

Might as well accentuate the positive - 2 free tickets from the Warren Miller screening.

Discovery Lodge was the only option for non racers today.

Not a ton open but there weren’t that many people there and I was skiing with my kids so it would be a mellow day no matter what. No lift lines.

The boys always find a way to have fun skiing. There was some racing, ball busting, various antics. No telegenic antics unfortunately. This is pretty much it. On the upside, it wasn’t cold.

The boys lapped the gondola all day. I did venture over to the other side. The snow was soft. Everything was a little moist but it was fun.

Me: “Can I get the 3 meat plate?”

Lunchlady: “We don’t have any of the pulled pork or any of that stuff over there!”

Me: “Ok, I’ll take a chili then.”

Lunchlady: “the chili’s gone!”

I found some sausage and peppers down at the other end. My twelve year old and I switched to dry gloves at lunch time. Junior was too proud of his Kincos to admit they were wet.

Some of the weather reports hinted things might brighten and dry out a bit after lunch but it never did. No problem, we had a fun day.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Belleayre 12-2-2018

Cunningstunts
Banned User
Some might disagree but wet snow and good coverage is better than dirt and dead leaves.

I've definitely had days on my bike or skis where I wondered if it was a "good" day.  Not so much an issue when paddling and hiking as weather is part of the fun.

Anyway, I'm pretty much sure a bad day of skiing was better than what I did today
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
Ha, awesome report. Tell Junior that Kinkos are over-rated as ski gloves. Or maybe don't. Let him figure it out for himself.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Sick Bird Rider wrote
Tell Junior that Kinkos are over-rated as ski gloves. Or maybe don't.
I admit I like generic insulated work gloves for most ski days too. Not when it’s extremely cold or they’re wet though.
Reply | Threaded
|

Cornhead
Saturday was sweet, Gore Wednesday, Belle Saturday, $9:50 per ticket...so far.,
Reply | Threaded
|

Bandit
Saturday at Belle was awesome! The whole mountain was in excellent shape, although most of it was reserved :) We skied pretty much everything, including a hike out to Cathedral. No rocks to be found anywhere, really amazing coverage!

On Sunday as posted the snow was great. Very fun hero snow. The wet weather wasn’t too much fun though and we made it a short day. Didn’t feel bad stopping early after the great day we had Saturday.
Reply | Threaded
|

Bandit
Some pics from Saturday:

Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Looks like Saturday was the shit. I totally should have let junior blow off the SATs.
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
LOL!  I remember writing SATs on a bluebird Saturday.  I couldn't have given less of a s*** about the exam.  I kept thinking about what I was missing.
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply | Threaded
|

Skiray
Very nice report BrownSki.  Seriously, die hard!
The family that skis together, stays together.

AlbaAdventures.com