classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Belleayre, NY 04/06/13

Jamesdeluxe
This post was updated on .
Today was almost identical to last Saturday, except today was colder (it was down in the high teens overnight) and there were even less people on the hill -- which is odd as there were a fair number of cars in the Overlook parking lot. It felt borderline spooky at times, skiing top-to-bottom runs off the Super Chief quad without seeing anyone. Lift 7 wasn't running, which is the first time I've ever seen that, although you can't blame ORDA for an easy cost-cutting measure at this point in the season.

Because of the really hard freeze overnight, about two inches turned into a nice soft sugar/corn mixture, but below that stayed mostly frozen until we finished at 2:45.

Check out the coverage in the trees:

On the way back to Route 28, I took a quick run over to Highmount and found that all but the very bottom still had full coverage. If I hadn't been with my son, I would've done a run.

My availability for next weekend isn't looking good, so I may have to put a fork in this season: 30 days. The first time I've ever reached that round number.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Belleayre, NY 04/06/13

JasonWx
The amount of cover is crazy for this time of year..
Sorry I couldn't make it..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
So... was this Claude's first time at Highmount?  That's big!  

If that's what it is, it looks like a fantastic season ender.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
I hiked Slide today and the cover up top was Mansfield-esque. I mean, unimaginably deep. Great hike, but I longed for skis like you (well, anyone else) wouldn't believe. There are some beautiful trees up there. At least hiking in snow is fun.