Belleayre Resort news

85 messages Options
12345 ... 9
JasonWx JasonWx
Reply |
Open this post in threaded view

Re: Belleayre news

i guess Alpine Meadows, Bridger Bowl, Silverton, Mt Snow, Pico, Araphoe Basin and Mt Baker just to name a few are mole hills and second rate mountains...
"Peace and Love"
x10003q x10003q
Reply |

In reply to this post by ausable skier
ausable skier wrote
if it doesn't have 2000 vert its not really a mountain - its just a hill.
I agree. I know that when I ski Whiteface I only go top to bottom for the full 3166 lift served vertical.
Snowballs Snowballs
Reply |

Screw it.....Rip Willard!!!

The only real mtn north of the Catskills.
sudsnbumps sudsnbumps
Reply |

In reply to this post by x10003q
...and it has been years since they covered "Hill" on the Northway sign leading to Hickory.  I did notice there has been no mention of Highmount, which I believe was purchased by the state and then mothballed.  I used to ski that and Plattekill when I was growing up in Northern NJ (also every now and then at Bobcat) rather than Huntah and Windham. If you developed that and added it to Belle I think Platte would have competition...but until then I will still ski Plattekill when I really want to do some Catskill skiing!
Proud to call Gore My Home Mountain
Covid stole what would have been my longest season ever!
I'll be back
x10003q x10003q
Reply |

sudsnbumps wrote
...and it has been years since they covered "Hill" on the Northway sign leading to Hickory.  I did notice there has been no mention of Highmount, which I believe was purchased by the state and then mothballed.  I used to ski that and Plattekill when I was growing up in Northern NJ (also every now and then at Bobcat) rather than Huntah and Windham. If you developed that and added it to Belle I think Platte would have competition...but until then I will still ski Plattekill when I really want to do some Catskill skiing!
You are correct about those Highmount Trails. They will give some serious comp to Plattekill if these trails are ever opened.
I will still head to Plattekill to avoid the crowds at Belleayre. But I might hit Bell midweek occasionally rather than Hunter if they open Highmount.

ausable skier ausable skier
Reply |

In reply to this post by JasonWx
JasonWx wrote
i guess Alpine Meadows, Bridger Bowl, Silverton, Mt Snow, Pico, Araphoe Basin and Mt Baker just to name a few are mole hills and second rate mountains...
you are going to compare Bell to any of the above (except Mt Snow i just don't like that place for some reason) .... REALLY????????

and someone mentioned cat skiing - how much snow does Bell get?  If Hunter gets 80 inches this place would have to be the Jay Peak of the Catskills to get 120"
JasonWx JasonWx
Reply |

what i was trying to say is, a mountain with under 2k vertical can still be a great place to ski..
"Peace and Love"
CMR CMR
Reply |

JasonWx wrote
what i was trying to say is, a mountain with under 2k vertical can still be a great place to ski..
Agreed.  And as far as I'm concerned, the lower 1/3 of Whiteface is torture.  More dangerous and congested than the Cross Bronx Expressway.  That top portion (probably under 2k) is the main draw.  
Snowballs Snowballs
Reply |

The man ^^^ has a good point.
x10003q x10003q
Reply |

In reply to this post by CMR
CMR wrote
JasonWx wrote
Agreed.  And as far as I'm concerned, the lower 1/3 of Whiteface is torture.  More dangerous and congested than the Cross Bronx Expressway.  That top portion (probably under 2k) is the main draw.
Exactly. Skiing the Face Lift is meh.
12345 ... 9