classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
33 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Belleayre: Superchief

PeeTex
Brownski wrote
If it's my mountain, I'm installing a fixed grip and telling the lifties to stuff the beginners into chairs as aggressively as they have to to keep it going full speed.
You'll need a big boom sweep to clear them off the exit ramp and pile them up on the side
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
In reply to this post by Ethan Snow
I was speaking from the lift operator POV. Reaching across to the third or fourth dude is hard. If you're just gonna hit the stop button i guess it doesn't make much difference.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
I agree and it means they never run those lifts full speed. I have really come around on the loading carpets... I'd be interested in going back to Greek to see if the lift is running better without stopping after people have become more accustomed to it.
Reply | Threaded
|

pro2860
ml242 wrote
I'd be interested in going back to Greek to see if the lift is running better without stopping after people have become more accustomed to it.
It has improved greatly. The lift doesn't stop nearly as much now.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Superchief is spinning.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
quad vs et al. Must depend a lot on the loading approach way ? Straightbrook fixed grip quad loads very well, even when there's four peeps. North quad not so much.

What the heck is a double double ?
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
A double double is two chairlifts, each doubles, that share the same towers.  Thus, they go to the same location.

WF's had/has two.  Mountain Run/Little Whiteface chairs share the same towers to LWF's mid-station (currently in use).  Prior to Face Lift, there was a triple double, one of which, I believe, let off near the mid-station lodge.  Prior to that, it was a double double.
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
In reply to this post by Snowballs
Snowballs wrote
quad vs et al. Must depend a lot on the loading approach way ? Straightbrook fixed grip quad loads very well, even when there's four peeps. North quad not so much.

What the heck is a double double ?
Here are 2 shots of the Belleayre double double

Reply | Threaded
|

Zippy
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
Superchief is spinning.
Yay!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
In reply to this post by x10003q
Got it. Thanks guys.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
In reply to this post by ml242
I'm not sure if anyone is still manufacturing a "Double." I think Doppelmayr Garaventa might still make a triple, but they may only be making quads. Seems silly to build a lift these days smaller than a quad. I'm an advocate for slowing lifts down in areas suited to beginners. If you want to combine expert terrain with beginner terrain, then most likely you are dealing with what will be a very busy area, and should really have a detachable which would be easier to load.

Brownski,

I'm kind of having a hard time understanding why you would rather stuff beginners on a fixie (regardless of size) as opposed to a detachable?

You used to be a lift, so, your opinion is highly qualified, just trying to understand the argument. And it looks like someone else strongly agrees with you.
I'll take boilerplate ice over wet snow any day
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
I was somewhat kidding around but in general I prefer fixed grips cause they're cheaper and more reliable, as evidenced by the super Chiefs problems. If it is just a beginner lift, you can run it slow but if it is for mixed terrain with a long line then running it slow is just torture for everybody. So my reasoning is  to install a good, reliable, economical lift, teach the employees how to run it efficiently (including stuffing in the shitty skiers) and just lit 'er rip.
Detachable lifts, fan guns and other high tech stuff like that... It's all great but complexity decreases reliability and increases costs which drives up ticket prices.
Keep it cheap, don't baby the newbies, run the lifts full speed.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
I can agree with that. Although I certainly Can see the need for a high speed at least in critical locations such as Catskill Flyer (which I think has been very reliable) or the ADK Exprs II. That lift is a long ride even as a detachable. Same with Burnt Ridge. For a place like Plattekill there is no need for a high speed lift. TBH, the lift on the west side at Hunter is way to fast. I barely have time to get comfortable and talk to my friend(s) before I'm unloading.

And I agree with your position on fan guns. I dislike fan guns personally. There is also way too much surface area for ice to form onn them. The cost of fans VS. The cost of additional air compressors for stick guns is often much less expensive. Especially when,you consider the cost of the 4/0 wire that has to be run on the mountain to plug them in. I'm not sure why Plattekill has so many of them on the Tripple side.
I'll take boilerplate ice over wet snow any day