classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
2 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Belleayre vs. Hunter - Monday/Friday; lesson

DomB
Hi everyone -

I haven't posted much, but wanted to let you know I think this blog is great and really helpful.  I posted last year about kids lessons, and happy to say that I did a 'daddy and me' with my 3 yo last weekend.  It was a blast.  

Now onto my question.  On a Monday or Friday when I can take off from work in January, and I want a one or two hour private lesson, should I go to Belleayre or Hunter?  Most interested in having fun and learning.  Here is more information:

I am planning on taking a day trip on a Monday or a Friday near my bday.  I am also thinking about getting a one or two hour private lesson.  Hunter and Belleayre would be about the same distance (about 2.5 hours).  And, oddly enough, when you add in the price of a ticket and a two hour lesson midweek, the two come out to about the same price (2hr w ticket, around 200 -- Belleayre's ticket is way less but somehow the 2hr lesson at Hunter is $30 less than Belle).  

So, I wanted to see what you all think - which mountain would be better for me? Here are some things to consider that are related to me:

-My more immediate goal - -  really enjoy skiing but haven't been taking too many lessons.  I make carved turns but I'd like to make short radius carved turns so that I can deal with more conditions.  Eventually I'd like to get comfortable with the steep bumpy terrain, like the double black bump trails at Belle -- but I think I need to do some work to get there.  

-Current ability - - I can get down blues and groomed blacks without bumps well.  I can get down blacks with bumps but it isn't pretty (I don't usually fall : ) ).  

-I am fairly athletic.  Played sports and pick things up well.

-I like to ask questions and prefer a teacher who explains the movements 'precisely'/descriptively versus use of vague terminology, like 'drive your knee into the turn'.  I have read 'Ultimate Skiing' by Ron LeMaster a few times and am part way through it now.

Thanks so much in advance.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Belleayre vs. Hunter - Monday/Friday; lesson

ml242
Either place will offer a good lesson midweek with a dedicated pro. Go to the mountain you'd prefer to ski at, but I would vote for Hunter. Midweek there is basically a dream and the HSS ensures you'll get a lot of runs. Either way, you're going to most likely be skiing slow and working on basics to get the wrinkles out of your technique. I'd call ahead to let them know you're ability and I'm sure either mountain will pair you up with an awesome pro. Have fun.