Re: Best chairlift conversation?

tjf1967
TWSS TWSS !!!!
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

campgottagopee
Not memorable for conversation but more so due to the situation. It was either late 90's or the year 2000 when my buddy Auggie and I took our wives to $towe for a ski trip. We had planned ahead of time that on our 3rd day we were to ski over to the Smuggs side for some laps in the trees so we left the girls behind. It was cold out, like straight -20 out with the wind rippin so who knows what the windchill was. Didn't matter, cold is cold. We were the first ones in line at Big Spruce, as you know Big Spruce was a very long slow lift. We were so stoked knowing we were going to be the first ones to head over that we the cold had left our minds. We got ready to load and as the chair came around the bull wheel I noticed my side of the chair had lost it's cushion. Still psyched to get over to Smuggs we loaded. It wasn't long and my ass started to hurt. Sitting on a 1/4" of steel that had been outside all night in the sub zero temps was taking it's toll. Half way up we saw my cushion that had blown off. We looked at each other and burst out laughing. I couldn't wait to get to the top --- I was SO cold that my teeth hurt. To this day Auggie and I still laugh about that.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Great story, camp. I''ll bet there wasn't much conversation at all.
"Dude it's effin cold"
"Yup"
"My ass is frozen"
"Ha"
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
sig
Reply | Threaded
|

sig

I'm just talking to myself
Talking to myself
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Back when I taught at Pico there was a bunch of original 10th Mt Div vets.  They told the best stories and I always tried to ski with them when I had the chance.  First time I rode up with them they explained all the talking only happens on the lift then they skied non stop runs - keep up Sonny boy.  They would ski every day until 10 then have a coffe and go on with thier day.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
raisingarizona wrote
 It was enough exposure to score some small sponsors
RA just curious, who were your sponsors? That must have been pretty cool. What was your best score?
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
In reply to this post by Z
Z wrote
Back when I taught at Pico there was a bunch of original 10th Mt Div vets.  They told the best stories and I always tried to ski with them when I had the chance.  First time I rode up with them they explained all the talking only happens on the lift then they skied non stop runs - keep up Sonny boy.  They would ski every day until 10 then have a coffe and go on with thier day.
This one is the winner so far in my book.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
As many have said, there have been so many. This one really stands out, from an earlier TFTH report (Jan 13, 2011):

SBR wrote
The lift conversation of the night happened on the first run. Thursday happens to be "Cheap Night" at Hidden Valley, so it is the night when Mom and Dad drop off their spawn to slide down the hill for several hours. Mostly they hang out in the lodge, spewing hormones, creating a weird kind of high school dance vibe when you go in for break. It also means that despite a lift line, an old guy on skis will ride solo most of the time. The kids are too cool for sharing a chair with Grampa. But not The Little Girl in Pink (she is maybe 9, or 10). While I had resigned myself to a lone ride on the Bigwin Quad, she poled up beside me, gave me the look that let me know I was the Grown-Up in Charge of this lift ride, and off we went. I politely inquired if it was OK to lower the bar and she agreed with an emphatic "yes." After a few seconds, she looks at me and says, pointing left:

"When we get to the top, you should probably go that way."
Me: "OK, are you going right?"
LGiP: "Yes, I"m not very good at getting off the chairlift yet."
Me: "Well, OK."
LGiP: "I just got these skis today."
Me: "Oh, have you skied before?"
LGiP: "No, this is my first time."
Me: "Is anyone teaching you how to ski?"
LGiP: "No, I am skiing by myself."
Me (concerned but not wanting to sound like a weird old guy): "So, are you here by yourself?"
LGiP: "Oh no, my brother and his friend are here too."
Me (relieved, then putting my skis in the wedge position): "Do you know how to do the snowplow, you know, when you put your skis like this?"
LGiP: "Oh, yes, I do that. I am teaching myself to ski!"
Me, by this time we are at the top: "Well, good for you. Are you ready to get off? Stand up when your skis touch the snow!"

So I go left, then turn and watch her ski off the lift pretty well, stop, fall over, immediately get up and ski off, straightlining down the easy hill in full pizza stance. This girl is going to be a skier.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
In reply to this post by Brownski
Brownski wrote
raisingarizona wrote
RA just curious, who were your sponsors? That must have been pretty cool. What was your best score?
Best score? Hmm, not sure. The packages from Carrera were real nice. Lots of goggles, sunglasses, helmets, stickers, t-shirts, sweatshirts, hats etc. I was there poster boy one year for all of their trade shows and I was in a bunch of full page adds for them in Canada one year. That was nice.

I loved Fate clothing for their support and awesome all around positive attitude towards helping a guy like me out.

Lifelink covered the back packs, poles, and shovels.

And I had a good deal for a while with Technica/Volkl skis but that was more of a pro form thing.

My ski pass and some other gear like a BCA transceiver was covered under Storm show for two seasons.

It was all great but I didn't like punching a clock while skiing so I basically walked away from all of it just as it was starting to take off for me. Maybe I was just scared or facing the reality that my time was seriouely limited and my efforts basically futile. The early 2000's were the time where skiing was morphing and changing at crazy speeds and I knew I wasn't up for the challenge to keep up so I bailed. Or something like that I guess. :D
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
It's funny how much we laugh trying to fight off the cold or fear! Good times for sure.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
In reply to this post by Brownski
Brownski wrote
Z wrote
I agree, that sounds like there were some bad ass history lessons to be had.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
This is off topic but I gotta say......this is the coolest ski forum imho on the internets. You guys are awesome and the conversations for me are much more interesting than most on the other forums. Jus sayin. :)
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
raisingarizona wrote
Brownski wrote
Z wrote
I agree, that sounds like there were some bad ass history lessons to be had.
+2
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Sick Bird Rider
Sick Bird Rider wrote
As many have said, there have been so many. This one really stands out, from an earlier TFTH report (Jan 13, 2011):

SBR wrote
The lift conversation of the night happened on the first run. Thursday happens to be "Cheap Night" at Hidden Valley, so it is the night when Mom and Dad drop off their spawn to slide down the hill for several hours. Mostly they hang out in the lodge, spewing hormones, creating a weird kind of high school dance vibe when you go in for break. It also means that despite a lift line, an old guy on skis will ride solo most of the time. The kids are too cool for sharing a chair with Grampa. But not The Little Girl in Pink (she is maybe 9, or 10). While I had resigned myself to a lone ride on the Bigwin Quad, she poled up beside me, gave me the look that let me know I was the Grown-Up in Charge of this lift ride, and off we went. I politely inquired if it was OK to lower the bar and she agreed with an emphatic "yes." After a few seconds, she looks at me and says, pointing left:

"When we get to the top, you should probably go that way."
Me: "OK, are you going right?"
LGiP: "Yes, I"m not very good at getting off the chairlift yet."
Me: "Well, OK."
LGiP: "I just got these skis today."
Me: "Oh, have you skied before?"
LGiP: "No, this is my first time."
Me: "Is anyone teaching you how to ski?"
LGiP: "No, I am skiing by myself."
Me (concerned but not wanting to sound like a weird old guy): "So, are you here by yourself?"
LGiP: "Oh no, my brother and his friend are here too."
Me (relieved, then putting my skis in the wedge position): "Do you know how to do the snowplow, you know, when you put your skis like this?"
LGiP: "Oh, yes, I do that. I am teaching myself to ski!"
Me, by this time we are at the top: "Well, good for you. Are you ready to get off? Stand up when your skis touch the snow!"

So I go left, then turn and watch her ski off the lift pretty well, stop, fall over, immediately get up and ski off, straightlining down the easy hill in full pizza stance. This girl is going to be a skier.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
raisingarizona wrote
Brownski wrote
raisingarizona wrote
Best score? Hmm, not sure. The packages from Carrera were real nice. Lots of goggles, sunglasses, helmets, stickers, t-shirts, sweatshirts, hats etc. I was there poster boy one year for all of their trade shows and I was in a bunch of full page adds for them in Canada one year. That was nice.

I loved Fate clothing for their support and awesome all around positive attitude towards helping a guy like me out.

And I had a good deal for a while with Technica/Volkl skis but that was more of a pro form thing.

My ski pass and some other gear like a BCA transceiver was covered under Storm show for two seasons.

It was all great but I didn't like punching a clock while skiing so I basically walked away from all of it just as it was starting to take off for me. Maybe I was just scared or facing the reality that my time was seriouely limited and my efforts basically futile. The early 2000's were the time where skiing was morphing and changing at crazy speeds and I knew I wasn't up for the challenge to keep up so I bailed. Or something like that I guess. :D
Oh yea --- well I got a t-shirt once from a Jay Peak bump contest just for showing up

In all seriousness I think it's really cool of you to share these stories with us. Like my buddy Pro, you're very humble about your abilities and easy to talk to. Thanks bro
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
campgottagopee wrote
raisingarizona wrote
Brownski wrote
raisingarizona wrote

Oh yea --- well I got a t-shirt once from a Jay Peak bump contest just for showing up

In all seriousness I think it's really cool of you to share these stories with us. Like my buddy Pro, you're very humble about your abilities and easy to talk to. Thanks bro
Right
I get some free stuff from suppliers at work once in a while but it's mostly crap. My Wild Turkey hat is pretty cool