classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
ck1
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Best ski shop for boots in downstate NY

ck1
Hi all. My girlfriend is just getting into skiing but she is an excellent athlete and really progressing quickly. I hope some day she will want to try telemark, but for now I think getting comfortable on alpine gear would be a great step. Does anyone have any suggestions for a shop in southern NY (NYC, Hudson Valley, Catskills) with good women's skiboot selection and fitting? REI? Potter Brothers? Ski Haus? I really want her to be comfortable and happy with the experience.
Thanks!
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Best ski shop for boots in downstate NY

Harvey
Administrator
I was in the same situation and had really great experience at Steiners Sports:

http://nyskiblog.com/ski-boot-fitting-by-steiners-sports/

Not exactly downstate, but near Albany.

I think you are smart.  IMO comfy, well-fitting boots for your girl is the best money you will ever spend.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
I don't think EMS carries alpine boots anymore, but if you're in NYC you can hit REI, EMS, and Paragon in short order and try on a lot of stuff.
Reply | Threaded
|

dobermann
This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Reply | Threaded
|

Danzilla
Plus one for Heinos. You will pay full price, but you'll get fitted better than at any of the bigger places IMO. I had great service there. Plan on an hour or so for your first visit and then 30 minutes for second visit and 30 minutes for third visit (if you have any tuning needed from the second visit).

The owner fitted me and the service was amazing. If you wear the boots for a month and a hot spot pops up you can go back and they will work to get it perfect.
ck1
Reply | Threaded
|

ck1
Thank you all for the recommendations. I think we might try Paragon and REI first just for convenience factor. I guess one can always take a pair of boots purchased at a big retailer to a smaller shop for further fitting, though I have never done so.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
This post was updated on .
Try TallBarts on Thrifty and Cheap!

I ride with Crazy Horse!