classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
42 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Best skiing near manhattan, nyc

campgottagopee
JP wrote
Any reports on Blue, my friend went and said it was good but I don't trust him he also watched the Sound of Music on TV last week.
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by JP
JP wrote
Any reports on Blue, my friend went and said it was good but I don't trust him he also watched the Sound of Music on TV last week.
sorry didn't see this until now - too busy skiing and stuff   blue probably ski'd the best it ever has short of a major dump. I ski'd Saturday 8-2 with a 15 minute breakfast beer break before the legs and appetite gave in - fun group, no crowds and steady snow over man made that hadn't seen a freeze/thaw cycle made for a good time.  a few bugged out early and hit it again saturday night before it changed to sleet and frain and obviously said it was even better. snow total in the 6-8" range.

opening bell sunday morning was off the hook as far as groomed packed powder conditions go - maybe the best ive ever ski'd, anywhere (really, blue?!?!?!) bumps on barneys were also phenomenal for an hour or so which was cool since I only ski'd 8-10ish as I had to be a at holiday luncheon at noon  anything off trail had a crust on top so I was glad I hit blue in the am rather than xcd schwacking in the woods as originally planned before my daughter convinced me to go.

with the solid snowmaking temps blue continues to do a stellar job this season blowing the living sh!t out of everything - razors and challenge both looking real good and rumored to be opening mid week. go get you some!

edit: FYI I live 20 mins from blue and am usually there a few times a week, if you ever need some beta or want to meet for a run or a beer send me a pm
Reply | Threaded
|

TomCat
I live in NJ and have skied some of the NJ/PA areas with kids during the holiday periods. The kids are older now and I do 99% of my skiing at Gore. I choose to ski at Gore because I feel that it is worth the extra time in the car to avoid the crowds and ski a real mountain. Having said that:

Blue was probably my favorite area. I don't think it's quite as crowded as Mountain Creek, but still gets big crowds when the kids are off.

Mountain Creek has a bit more to offer, but weekend crowds can be rough. It's real nice if you can ski it during the week. I have also had some good luck with a twilight ticket - you start when the crowds start thinning out.

Camelback is OK but I don't think it's as good as the two above.

Shawnee in my opinion has very little to offer unless you are really a beginner.

Consider a ride to Belleayre to mix it up. Decent mountain with small crowds.

tom
Reply | Threaded
|

Milo Maltbie
In reply to this post by ht
Don't drive an hour when you can ride the A train: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnGR18JZ3CA

mm
"Everywhere I turn, here I am." Susan Tedeschi
ht
Reply | Threaded
|

ht
In reply to this post by TomCat
thanks dude!  sounds like mountain creek, nj is worth a try.  i think blue is prolly a bit farther drive from nyc.  it was ineresting that u liked it more than camelback.  we only do the harder trails, so we really aren't inerested in any resorts catering to beginner trails.  

btw, has anyone ever heard of Thunder Ridge CT ? it looks close, but we never heard if it was any good.

peace and bumps,
nico
Reply | Threaded
|

Noah John
ht wrote
we only do the harder trails, so we really aren't inerested in any resorts catering to beginner trails.  
Classic intertubz!  Can I make that my new signature line?  OMG that's so funny.  Do it again!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Noah John wrote
   OMG that's so funny.  Do it again!

TWSS!!!

It's Friiiiday
Reply | Threaded
|

WNY-ADK Skier
In reply to this post by ht
ht wrote
thanks dude!  sounds like mountain creek, nj is worth a try.  i think blue is prolly a bit farther drive from nyc.  it was ineresting that u liked it more than camelback.  we only do the harder trails, so we really aren't inerested in any resorts catering to beginner trails.  

btw, has anyone ever heard of Thunder Ridge CT ? it looks close, but we never heard if it was any good.

peace and bumps,
nico
(1) Blue is definitely farther from NYC than Mountain Creek. It's also definitely better.
(2) I much prefer Camelback over Mountain Creek. But, of course, it's a matter of taste.
(3) Thunder Ridge is not in CT, it's in NY. It's very small. Yes, it's closer to NYC than the other hills mentioned in this thread, but Mountain Creek, Camelback, etc. are way, way better.
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
In reply to this post by Noah John
Noah John wrote
ht wrote
we only do the harder trails, so we really aren't inerested in any resorts catering to beginner trails.  
Classic intertubz!  Can I make that my new signature line?  OMG that's so funny.  Do it again!
So glad to see you have a signature line back.   I thought you were on double secret probation or something.  Would have been a shame to see your creative self-expression stifled.
JP
Reply | Threaded
|

JP
All in all Hunter is the best skiing, alittle tough from Manhattan , but even from close in suburbs Rockland , Bergen County about an hour and half. fast lifts, good snowmaking, good grooming which is necessary this far south , If you are real hard core and can handle tougher conditions Plattekille.
JIMMYPETE
Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps

Campgaw!    299' of Bergen County's Finest Vertical
Proud to call Gore My Home Mountain
Covid stole what would have been my longest season ever!
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

KimberlyPhillyLotus
In reply to this post by JasonWx

I'm a novice skier from Philadelphia...however, my partner LOVES skiing and has spent many years skiing in Colorado. Last year we found this wonderful ski resort in the Catskills, Plattekill Mountain, that she says reminds her of trails in Colorado, which wind around the mountain and take a while before finally reaching the bottom. Because she loves skiing so much, I agreed to "learn to ski" in hopes of eventually enjoying the sport together.

So I have 2 specific things that I am so impressed about at Plattekill: Let me begin by RAVING over my first ski lesson last year to give a backdrop to my latter point...I had the most incredible instructors--wound up being a father-daughter team, Bill Maderno and Rosie. I wound up getting a private lesson by default last year bc not enough beginners were there on that ridiculously sub-degree day for a group lesson. The time spent with them is truly the reason I'm now able to ski the slopes this year...they were AWESOME instructors (and I now know w/ some comparison b/c I took another "refresher" lesson this year in a group and realized how amazing my lesson with them truly was)! In addition to teaching excellent basic skills, Bill genuinely instills confidence and hope in a way I did not believe was possible in such a caring and warm way (I was honestly TERRIFIED once I got on my skis, wanting to quit b/f I even began...never dreaming that my second time back to Plattekill this year I'd be able to ski together with my partner--albeit a bit slower--all the way down the trail together!)--it is SO much fun!! I HIGHLY recommend getting a lesson w/ Bill (and Rosie if they are doing them together) if you want an INCREDIBLE instructor and a lesson that will honestly teach you how to ski!!

My next experience to RAVE about is regarding the owner of Plattekill, Laszlo Vajtay. My partner and I had such a BLAST this past weekend at Plattekill, now that we are able to enjoy runs down the mountain together :) ...and the BEST part of the trip was the surprise SNOW we had yesterday...the mountain magically transformed into a winter wonderland...and the mountain became even more AMAZING to ski down (not to mention how breathtakingly beautiful the trees suddenly became before our eyes)!! Having so much fun in the beautiful snow coming down, it did not occur to either of us to leave early due to the snow covered roads and not having an SUV or vehicle that is great in snow...

So as we finally leave towards the end of the day, there are people in the lots directing traffic. Our vehicle began spinning wheels and was seemingly stuck. Fortunately, a man working there came over and gave very clear directions for getting out and down the mountain. Everything he said worked beautifully. However, further down the road, the snow turned very icy and our vehicle actually slid into an embankment. We were not sure what to do, as people pulled over to help push us out but the car would not budge. So we called back to the ski lodge and the same man who helped us out of the parking lot answered. As we told him what happened and described our car to him he immediately responded, "Oh no! I just got you out of the lot...we will be right down to help you out!" Much to our surprise, it wound up being the OWNER of Plattekill mountain, Laszlo Vajtay!! I cannot honestly describe the amount of genuine care and concern he had for us getting out safely. Not only was he an expert in knowing how to navigate such treacherous roads, he became our ANGEL who rescued us from being stuck in the snow...

Because he recognized how dangerous it was for us to be driving with the tires we had, he had someone follow us in a tow truck as he volunteered to drive our car all the way out to the main road (a few miles away!), where it was flat and less icy...We could not have been more relieved, b/c clearly we would have wound up stuck in another embankment due to the hills and icy turns there were getting out to the main road. Laszlo wound up being such a wonderful man--we thoroughly enjoyed talking with him while he drove the car, getting to hear the amazing story of his passion for Plattekill and how he acquired ownership of the mountain 20 years ago...clearly his passion for skiing and for his customers came through on this experience! My partner and I were both soooo impressed that the owner of the ski mountain actually got involved and made sure we were ok, going ABOVE & BEYOND the call of duty!! We cannot adequately convey our gratitude for his assistance! We look forward to returning very soon for the slopes at Plattekill (but this time we'll rent an SUV :) and hope more people discover and experience the wonderful ski resort that we have found!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Michaeltokyo
In reply to this post by sudsnbumps
sudsnbumps wrote
Campgaw!  299' of Bergen County's Finest Vertical
Milo Maltbie had it right in his earlier post about the Manhattan highlands in Fort Tyron Park.  In my 20's I lived across the street from the Cloisters at 4700 Broadway.  Lift served from the 190th St. subway station elevator.

After I moved to Franklin Lakes, NJ in the mid 80's I was only 5 miles away from this local gem.  Back then it was still County run (it's in a county park) and could ski after work at night for $5 county rates.  

You can see the GWB and upper Manhattan from the top of Campgaw's chair.

Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
That's where it all started for me
Proud to call Gore My Home Mountain
Covid stole what would have been my longest season ever!
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
In reply to this post by KimberlyPhillyLotus
KimberlyPhillyLotus wrote
I'm a novice skier from Philadelphia...
Nice story and all, but you depicted a person that shouldn't be driving a car
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
skimore wrote
KimberlyPhillyLotus wrote
I'm a novice skier from Philadelphia...
Nice story and all, but you depicted a person that shouldn't be driving a car
Quite possibly the funniest thing I've ever read on here
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Welcome to the forum Kimberly.

Sounds like you experienced first hand one of the things many of us love about Plattekill - that personal touch.

No doubt Laszlo has pushed his share of cars out of a ditch.  
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Welcome to the forum

Sounds like if you want to be skiing more it might be wise to invest in a suitable AWD vehicle and or some good snow tires.  I recommend Bridgestone Blizzaks tires.  Skiing is so much better if you can get there and back safely.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
In reply to this post by Harvey
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

jimvdak
Does snoloco work for Mountain Creek? I've never heard anyone say that many good things about that hill. I've been twice and waited in line 45+ minutes for the lift once too many times. NO thanks. I'll ski all 400' of vert at Mount Peter over that any day, and it's not much further.
*~It is better to go skiing and think of God, than go to church and think of sport.~*  -Fridtjof Nansen