Big Tupper

71 messages Options
12345 ... 8
Snowballs Snowballs
Reply |
Open this post in threaded view

Re: Big Tupper

Snowballs wrote
1) Would they consider giving free day tickets to hotshot skiers/bloggers on the internet like H44 and MC2? After all, they would do write ups apres ski....good PR. MC2 is an alumni.
^^^There's another good idea!^^^^

Matt, you mentioned driving from Gore to Tupper....How long a drive would that be on 28? on Northway? Thanks.
MC2 5678F589 MC2 5678F589
Reply |

Snowballs wrote
Matt, you mentioned driving from Gore to Tupper....How long a drive would that be on 28? on Northway? Thanks.

On 28, it's about 60 miles (a little over an hour, depending who you get stuck behind).  On the Northway it would be considerably longer.
MC2 5678F589 MC2 5678F589
Reply |

In reply to this post by Harvey
adkcliff adkcliff
Reply |

In reply to this post by Tin Woodsman
We opened chair 2 last year. I'm currently working on trying to get chair 3 open for this season. So far thing are coming along smoothly with chair 3.
Snowballs Snowballs
Reply |

In reply to this post by Snowballs
Snowballs wrote

3) Any ideas for attracting new customers?

5) How's the grub?
Harvinator, The Road oughta hold a Ski Big Tupper Day....Take this show on the road. Would be a really nice thing to do for Big Tupper. Yes Sir. The Board would likely have a great time too.

It would be a awesome chance to get some fun video footage for your film project Harv!

Bet ADKCliff would think it way cool......

Does anybody else think it would be cool ? MC2 ?
Harvey Harvey
Reply |

Big Tupper, NY: 9/15/10

In reply to this post by adkcliff
adkcliff wrote
...things are coming along smoothly...
BIGTIME thanks to JL, DT and especially adkcliff for a great visit at Big Tupper yesterday....

Big Tupper Site Tour

...who generously gave most of his afternoon to haul a flatlander all over Mt. Morris.  That guy can handle a quad.

I've never met a more dedicated. passionate group of people fighting to save something they love — Tupper Lake, NY.

We'll post a results of my interview and pics from the tour on the blog sometime in the next few days.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
adkcliff adkcliff
Reply |

OK! How's the grub? Well, we are working on that. Because we are working on a very TIGHT budget, we don't have a kitchen. That opens a whole can of  worms. The Health Dept. then gets involved. We are working on a cook wagon for this season. With a kitchen, we have to worry more about waste water.
Someone else asked about trading tickets with Gore Or Whiteface. They Lose! When our ticket are only $15 and theirs are $70+, just doesn't work. Besides, when people see their lift lines, they come to Big Tupper. It's only a 45 minute drive.
I'll try to answer any questions you have. If I don't know the answer, I'll get it.
Please, come and visit Tupper Lake and spend a week-end on Big Tupper. You'll have fun!

Cliff
adkcliff adkcliff
Reply |

In reply to this post by Adk Jeff
Maybe this will answer a few questions:
Prices: $15 day pass, $150 single season, $250 couple, and $400 family of 4. $75 each additional.
Operational hours: Fri, Sat, and Sun. chair 2. if we can get chair 3 up to par, it will run Sat. and Sun., now this is depending on if we have the volunteers and patrol to cover the top.
We may only have 1 run open from the top of chair 3. But, when it ties into chair 1, it will open the rest of the mtn.
We have a one groomer and Tim Brown is working on getting another one. Sure will need two if chair 3 is up and running. Which I only question the cable inspection to hold us up. Everything elseis easy.
Please rember that we operate on donations and ticket sales. It cost us $130K to run laast years. Before we started our fund drives of this year, we may have had $20k in the bank. Maybe!!
Because of insurance, we can't have a terrain park. We would have to have it roped off and have a volunteer at the start of the trail. Which would mean that we would have to build a little warming hut for them.
We truely wish we could do more!!!!
Jamesdeluxe Jamesdeluxe
Reply |

It's great to hear about the nuts and bolts from Cliff. People always wonder "why did they do this?" and "why didn't they do that?" and often assume that there are nefarious reasons when something at a ski area isn't to their liking.

By hearing from someone on a micro budget, we can understand how decisions are made (all about $$$/insurance).
adkcliff adkcliff
Reply |

Snowball,
By, all means, bring the "show". You will have a great time. Might be able to get you guy's set up for a night or two.
12345 ... 8