I:)skiing
This post was updated on .
Did they come and go?
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Black fly report

Sick Bird Rider
Not in my neck of the woods. They are laying in wait, waiting for the weather to warm up a bit. The recent cold snap has kept Mr. Blackfly at bay (so far) but I have been "bumped" by a few early ones and Blue Toes claims to have been bitten while gardening yesterday.

And to get you in the mood, here's the Hinterlandian Alternate National Anthem, with awesome animation courtesy of the National Film Board of Hinterlandia:

Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

I:)skiing
Thanks       I knew I couldnt be as luckey as to miss them.     Everyone watch the video.   Its good
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I used to get the wood in at the cabin on the first weekend in May as it really wouldn't be buggy.  Also by Labor Day vacation the air was clear. Seems like the season is longer now.  This year is bound to be weird in some way with 80 degree weather in March.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

gebbyfish
We hiked Black Mountain yesterday and there were bugs that were around us for most of the hike, and at the top, we noticed them landing on us and wondered why they weren't biting.  Guess they needed to warm up to our taste, or lived off the sweat for a while, because eventually they started biting!  Thankfully, the wind picked up and we were able to enjoy the view for a bit without the bugs as they were swept away on the wind!
Reply | Threaded
|

endoftheline
The usual rule of thumb in the Dacks is that Black Fly season runs its worst from Mothers Day until the 4th of July. Of course there are always variations, especially this year with the early spring. However it was quite dry for most of April so it kept them at bay for a while. They are coming on strong now though. Hopefully the weather will warm up quickly and bring the stream temps up above their breeding threshold temps.
Reply | Threaded
|

Pants
Black flys are JUST starting to bite now in high peaks area.  You have a good month-month and a half of them.  Then its the biting deer flies. I dont hike during this time.  I prefer riding a bike.
Reply | Threaded
|

Hoser
Agree with the last post on all counts.   They just came out in the SW area of the park, not biting yet, but will be a different story by the weekend.  Have to keep moving.
Reply | Threaded
|

Denis.N
how was black fly situation this weekend? any idea about mid/end of june ?
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
They were out on the river yesterday, but not even half as bad as they were at this time last year.
Reply | Threaded
|

Pants
you should include a location when asking for reports..blackflies are out end of may til july typically.  they are bad some days and not some days.  depends on weather and location completely.
Reply | Threaded
|

Pants
i think the skeets are bad this year.  but i dont mind them like black flies.
Reply | Threaded
|

Hoser
Update requested on the "bugs" - not bad at all here in the SW adirondacks,  although the black flies are out, deer flies starting also.  Not nearly as bad as previous seasons.    A hat and Deet takes care of them.

Any report from the Giant Mtn / Keene area?    On par with past years?  Or also almost a non-event?
Reply | Threaded
|

Hoser
Answered my own question, should have dug deeper first.   Its still mid-June in the mountains

http://www.adkhighpeaks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18001
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I just had two days hiking in the Siamese with a distinct lack of bugs.  Beautiful temps and consistent widespread wind.  Never seen anything like it in June to tell you the truth.  You don't know until you go.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp