11 messages Options
Z
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Bush and Smuggs Dec 22-23 2014

Z
This post was updated on .
My son and I hit the road to the land across the Lake, Vermont.  We got up early and drove over the pass by Mad River 15 switchbacks according to my son to Sugarbush North (Mt Ellen).  We took skied some natural snow bump runs at North before heading on Quadzilla over to South.  We had some nice tree runs and a rare Dec Paradise run. The cover was really good for December.  The snow was soft off the beaten path but firm to icy on the blues and groomed blacks.  Sugarbush seems to have cut way back on grooming.  It seems like they only groom about 15 trails a day so things that were not bumped were slick since they only get groomed every 3 to 4 days.  The snow they were blowing was really wet even though it was cold enough to blow drier snow.  Could it be that Whiteface is spoiling us with better blown snow and grooming than VT?

We stayed Burlington since I had to get one more night at a SPG property to keep my Plat status for next year.  My son loves American Flatbread pizza so we did that for dinner.  It snowed about an inch in B-town but it had changed to rain by 8 am.  The drive to Smuggs was a little white knuckle for the first half but then we got North of the freezing rain line.  It should have taken 45 mins but took an hour.

At Smuggs I was advised to park in lot 1 and then ski down to the lodge.  There is a nice new yurt to put your boots on there.  There was about 4" of heavy wet snow I had to clear off to be able to open the yurt door a good sign.  Up top there was boot top + new snow.  At the higher elevations it was cream cheese like and heavier down low.  Late morning it rained some so the lower stuff turned to mank where it was not skied on.

I had only skied at Smuggs once before and this was my first fresh snow day there with the glades in play.  We had a ball.  The rides up were not pleasant but we had good talks and it gave us some time to rest and plan out where we wanted to ski.  Both my son and I commented that this was the most western feeling eastern ski day we ever had.  Some of the glades very much reminded both of us of Steamboat probably due to the birch trees.  Smuggs is not that high elevation with the summit only at 3600 bringing the birch zone just below the summit.

Best run of the Day was Doc Dempsey which we did twice.  We also skied freefall but that was a little wind scoured.  Best glades were Shakedown and Poacher Woods.  I checked the radar on my phone and was really happy I decided to do Smuggs the 2nd day because Sugarbush looked like they were getting heavy rain when we got snow farther North.  The locals were nice enough to point out a few good spots once they saw we were not gapers.

The skiing was so good skipped lunch with just a water break and then had lunch in Jeffersonville at 3pm.  By then my legs were toast.  I've never skied so many bumps and trees in Dec before.  158 Main has some really good sandwiches and their Maple Creme Brule was awesome.  

if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Bush and Smuggs Dec 22-23

Z
More photos
For some reason I can't post more than one in the post with my iPad

Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Interesting glade exit over a creek

Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
Nice one, Coach. Getting it done with your son.

Let's hope it all survives the thaw. We are heading to JPR on the 28th - my best hope right now is groomer goodness.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
No pics from the Bush? Did you ski Castlerock?

Word was that they didn't feel like they could groom any of the trails that were only covered by natural because they were thin. And yeah, their snowmaking technique these days is pretty much to blow wet snot and then buff it out with a zamboni. What a shame.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
I am going to Smuggs area next month. Have not made the arrangements yet - been putting it off.
Never been there before, going to do a guided ski tour along parts of the long trail. Don't know if I will get to either resort. If should be an interesting trip. Not sure where to stay, was thinking about Burlington - since I have a lot of Marriott points.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
The hiking around mansfield is incredible, that should be a great time... If you want to get off the long trail, some of the lesser used routes are really good. Route finding in winter can be a pita, but I'm sure you're used to finding your way along seldom used trails in snowy woods with your daks experience.

Camels hump from the north is especially nice. So is Nebraska Notch.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Thanks, I am looking forward to this trip, new terrain, new people to meet not too worried about route finding as I will be with a guide, but I always have my map and compass and the GPS on my cell phone with the topo maps pre loaded as my own personal backup. Since we are not overnighting in the woods on this trip I doubt we will get too far in.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Unfortunately I left my iPhone in my car at Sugarbush so no photos

PeeTex Burlington is a great town.  There is a Courtyard a 5 min walk from Church Street.  Make sure to ask for a lake view room.  Good eats and drinks downtown. We especially like American Flatbread and The Farmhouse.

From downtown to Smuggs would be about an hour drive and about the same to Stowe.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Coach Z wrote
Unfortunately I left my iPhone in my car at Sugarbush so no photos

PeeTex Burlington is a great town.  There is a Courtyard a 5 min walk from Church Street.  Make sure to ask for a lake view room.  Good eats and drinks downtown. We especially like American Flatbread and The Farmhouse.

From downtown to Smuggs would be about an hour drive and about the same to Stowe.
Thanks Z, A bud got me his corporate discount at the Fairfield west of town, free WiFi & Breakfast. Won't use points because of that. Also got 2 double beds in case I can find a roomie to share the cost. Depending on how I feel, on these kinds of trips I usually eat a 7 course meal, Subway & a six pack...
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Thanks for the trip down memory lane, Coach. My time living at Smuggs is filled with great memories, man that place is fun.

Did you hit Robins Run??? Usually when Doc's is good RR is too.