Open this post in threaded view

Re: COVID 19 impact on skiing

marznc marznc
Reply |

In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
Wasn't simple to "social distance" at Plattekill for me yesterday.  Friends everywhere.

Tried not to stop on the NY Thruway on the way home, but I had too. I almost took a picture of the intense handwashing in the mens room. It was pretty cool in some odd way.
LOL!  The Ski Divas have commented about men's restrooms that are now being stocked with more soap and/or paper towels.  Or teasing that now the water pipes will be fixed for the sinks.

Folks who live in Boston are more freaked out than those in NYC as far as I can tell.  There was an international company that held a meeting with almost 200 people in a major downtown hotel.  Quite a few cases are being linked to that meeting both in the Boston area and elsewhere.  Including a case near me in RTP since the company has a major office in NC.
marznc marznc
Reply |

Vail Resorts had to put out a press release on May 5 about COVID-19 because a few of cases in Colorado were people who had skied at Vail and Keystone.  Also turns out that a local high school had students and adults in Italy in early February.

March 6, 2020, Vail Daily
https://www.vaildaily.com/news/coronavirus-in-colorado-female-visitor-to-vail-valley-is-eagle-countys-first-presumptive-positive-case/
marznc marznc
Reply |

In reply to this post by Z
Z wrote
. . .
as far as travel goes I'm finding it difficult to schedule customer visits currently.  I am going to travel to FL in April for a meeting and plan to do my Utah trip mid April.  Domestic travel is fine but there is no way i would get on a cruise ship - we made my in laws cancel their cruise they had booked.

Where and when are you going to Utah?  Should be outstanding spring skiing with the snow pack that they have.
I know you weren't asking me . . . my flight to SLC is on April 3.  Not planning on cancelling.  But a bit glad that I fly Southwest, which doesn't have any international flights.

My daughter flew SW to Boston on Sat.  She flies back tomorrow.
Z Z
Reply |

i also chose to fly SW for my upcoming trip to FL as 1) it is easier to cancel or change and 2) its a direct flight so no connection in PHL so less people particularly internatioally flights i will come into contact with despite my Elite status on AA would likely have gotten me in 1st class with less people flying

My understanding of why flu season is in the winter is that because people stay inside and are concentrated with windows closed and ventilation more limited.  You go out and ski and with cold and wind you have much less chance of being in contact of germs and virus.  

from google
Do cold air kill germs?
Cold air doesn't kill germs but it can keep them from spreading. Cold weather restricts the growth of bacteria. At 32 degrees Fahrenheit or lower, you will get virtually all bacteria or viruses to be inactive.

So go skiing but be careful in the Lodge is my take.  Its a great time of the year to have lunch outside

if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
TheGreatAbyss TheGreatAbyss
Reply |

Z wrote
My understanding of why flu season is in the winter is that because people stay inside and are concentrated with windows closed and ventilation more limited.  
That's the conventional wisdom but it's actually not the root cause.  The reason has to do with water droplets in the air.  Colder air holds less water content then warm air and thus has a lower relative humidity, it allows the virus to stay aloft without condensing into a water droplet and falling to the ground.  This article goes fairly deep if you're interested:

https://www.wunderground.com/cat6/flu-weather-its-not-cold-its-humidity
TheGreatAbyss TheGreatAbyss
Reply |

But yes - being indoors in artificially warm and extremely dry air (like a ski lodge) is a perfect environment.
Johnnyonthespot Johnnyonthespot
Reply |

I often open public doors with my palm as high as I can reach, or with my ass when applicable.
greyMoose greyMoose
Reply |

In reply to this post by marznc
marznc wrote
Vail Resorts had to put out a press release on May 5 about COVID-19 because a few of cases in Colorado were people who had skied at Vail and Keystone.  Also turns out that a local high school had students and adults in Italy in early February.

March 6, 2020, Vail Daily
https://www.vaildaily.com/news/coronavirus-in-colorado-female-visitor-to-vail-valley-is-eagle-countys-first-presumptive-positive-case/
News just released from Vail Resorts (MTN):
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/vail-resorts-reports-fiscal-2020-200100404.html

Given the uncertainty surrounding the impact of the coronavirus on the broader U.S. travel market and any specific impact to the performance of the Company, the Company is not issuing guidance at this time for fiscal 2020 and is withdrawing its previous guidance issued on January 17, 2020 . In the week ended March 8, 2020 , the Company saw a marked negative change in performance from the prior week, with destination skier visits modestly below expectations. The Company expects this trend to continue and potentially worsen in upcoming weeks. The Company intends to provide updated commentary on its results by March 18, 2020 .
campgottagopee campgottagopee
Reply |

In reply to this post by Johnnyonthespot
Johnnyonthespot wrote
I often open public doors with my palm as high as I can reach, or with my ass when applicable.
Now that's using your God given talents right there
12345 ... 59