24 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Catskill Power Outages

Ethan Snow
Bandit wrote
Lol you guys are funny.

Platty untouched and I was there when they opened.

Belleayre untouched and I was there shortly after they opened. And there were less people.

If you don’t understand that then you’re not a powder skier. That was definitely the proper play today.

The snow was actually better at Belleayre because it was less wind affected.
Point taken. I Prefer powder bumps over straight powder, but regular powder is ok on steep terrain like Plattekill. The runout at Belleayre on untracked powder would suck.
I'll take boilerplate ice over wet snow any day
Reply | Threaded
|

louie.mirags
Saturday morning I had no power or cell service so didn't even think of checking the snow report. As we were driving on the hill up to belleayre we noticed right away something was up because everyone was going the other way.  We tried to go to plattekill but so did 100s of other people.  We wound up chalking the day up as a loss and enjoyed the cruise thru the catskills.  Pulled a subaru out of ditch, moved branches from a downed tree to get thru the road, ya know, snow day activities.

Got to belleayre at 8am  sunday to get first tracks.  So much untracked snow.  It was the day we have been waiting for. It was a little heavy but soft nonetheless Nearly 100% open.  We skied on fresh snow from 8:30am til 1pm.  The runs we kept lapping never got tracked out.  Belle had problems with the superchief and then problems with lift 7.  So some runs were just not getting hit.  Great day  

Still no power or cell service in the Town of thompson outside Monticello where I live
Reply | Threaded
|

louie.mirags
In reply to this post by Bandit
Bandit wrote
Started the morning at Plattekill and it was great everywhere. Skied the trails when they were fresh then the trees. At noon I got a call saying Belleayre was opening so we took off to there. Took 45 minutes to get out of the parking lot, people were still coming in. It was nuts, must be plattys busiest day ever.

Belleayre is awesome. I’m in the gondola now. Lots of snow!
Damn dude you did it right!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Bandit
The powder sure was sweet at Belleayre this past weekend. Here’s a short vid my buddy shot of me https://youtu.be/f4px1A9NpsI

Will be at Bell for first chair today if anyone is going and wants to take a few runs.