Cross country clubs/meetups in and around Saratoga?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Cross country clubs/meetups in and around Saratoga?

Danzilla
I bought the wife a cross country setup for x-mas and she is really digging it. She would like to get out and meet some other peeps to ski with either during the week at lunch/after work or on the weekends. Are there any clubs or standing meet ups for cross country skiing in the area? There used to be a saratoga ski and sport club but it seems like that group has fallen apart.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Cross country clubs/meetups in and around Saratoga?

Adk Jeff
You should look into the Out of Control Ski Club (aka O.C. Ski Club).  They are very active and have a large membership in the Capital district / Saratoga region.  Although they are primarily downhill oriented, they run a cross-country bus most Saturdays to places like Lapland Lake, Garnet Hill, Van Ho, Mountain Top (Vt), Prospect (Vt), etc.  Check out their website.  I think there's a link to it on the Resources page of my blog.

There's also the Saratoga Biathlon club up in Day (near the Sacandaga Res).  Memberships are pretty inexpensive allowing you to ski their trail system.  Shooting is optional.  I think I've got a link for those guys too.

Check Lapland Lake's website for their women's ski days (once per week I think).  Lapland Lake is well worth checking out, it's under an hour from Saratoga, depending which side of town you're on.  Their trail network is outstanding and they've had the best and most consistent snow in the Adks all winter.  They also have an excellent kid's program if you're interested in getting your daughter on some xc skis.  5 is not too young.

A lot of people ski at the Saratoga battlefield, at the state park (aka SPAC), and at Moreau Lake.  There's about 7K of free groomed xc trails at the Wilton Wildlife Preserve, but the groomed stuff is kind of flat and boring. The terrain is suitable to skiing anywhere through the woods, on or off trail (I like the Fox parcel for one example).  And there's the excellent (and free) lighted xc trail system at Crandall Park in Glens Falls (directly behind the Inside Edge).  There's a nicely done new map for the Crandall Park trails on the City of GF's website.  Let me know if you can't find it and I'll shoot you a link or a pdf.

Quick plug:  Wilton Wildlife Preserve is doing a moonlight ski this weekend (Saturday).  Check out their website for details.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
a few years ago GF was kicking around the idea of adding snowmaking to Crandall's xc trails. People who need rentals can go to Inside Edge, rent and ski right out to the Crandall system.
Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Minde
This post was updated on .
I can't speak about clubs or meet ups, but I agree with ADK Jeff regarding Saratoga Biathlon Club, Crandall park and Lapland Lake.  They're great local resources.  Check the NY Ski Blog Nordic Directory, you might find other ski centers worth checking out.  Oak Hill, Pine Ridge…?