44 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: DIY Ski Tuning

PeeTex
Highpeaksdrifter wrote
PeeTex wrote
The unit being sold by this guy out of Saratoga seems to last a long time.
Alpine Sport Shop?
https://www.razor-tune.com/
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
That blue one is what a lot of race dads are buying.  You still need to replace the stones.

Kenny at PP told me that the good swix stones not the dmt ones should last many years.

A roto brush is key for speeding up the tune process.  I have the stiff horse hair for everyday tunes and white nylon for race day.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Coach Z wrote
That blue one is what a lot of race dads are buying.  You still need to replace the stones.

Kenny at PP told me that the good swix stones not the dmt ones should last many years.

A roto brush is key for speeding up the tune process.  I have the stiff horse hair for everyday tunes and white nylon for race day.
From what I understand the designer used the best material available for the grinding wheels. The are made from CBN which is actually better for grinding ski edges (steel) than diamond.

http://blog.cdtusa.net/cbn
As the hardest known substance, diamond might seem the obvious choice for grinding exceptionally hard materials. However, it doesn't perform so well at temperatures over 8000C as it tends to lose hardness. It's also vulnerable to attack by some of the chemicals found in grinding coolants, which reduces wheel life.

The alternative to diamond is Cubic Boron Nitride (CBN). This is a man-made or synthetic abrasive material that's not as hard as diamond but is harder than anything else. Unlike diamond, it retains its hardness at elevated temperatures and offers superior resistance to chemical attack. (It also doesn't exhibit the affinity for iron that makes diamond so poor for machining steel.)
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
if you are grinding edges at above 8000 degrees C you have other issues.  The main advantage of that material is grinding at high temps and with grinding fluid neither of which apply to working on skis.  I was talking with the creator of the Fogman today who was telling me that the problem with this blue edger is that it doesn't have a powerful enough motor to spin the grinding wheel at the optimum grinding speed.

Either way with the costs I'm facing for schooling / racing next year I cant afford more than hand powered tuning.
Reply | Threaded
|

Highpeaksdrifter
In reply to this post by PeeTex
PeeTex wrote
Highpeaksdrifter wrote
PeeTex wrote
The unit being sold by this guy out of Saratoga seems to last a long time.
Alpine Sport Shop?
https://www.razor-tune.com/
I did not realize they were in Waterford. I'm going to have to pay them a visit. Thanks.
There's truth that lives
And truth that dies
I don't know which
So never mind - Leonard Cohen
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
In reply to this post by Z
The main advantage is that they grind hardened steel better.  From spending way to much time on this shit unless you have the 2k for the snoglide I think this is the best grinder available right now.   For 800 bucks you have something that will last forever.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
It's a brushed dc motor.  It will not last forever by definition when you run it it consumes the commutation brushes.  High loads increase current draw consuming the brush faster.

When they run out it's done.  I don't think I saw that it has replaceable brushes.
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
Good Info.  What about the snoglide, does that have the same motor construction?   That would be great to have in the palace.
Reply | Threaded
|

ADmiKe
So these BEAST tools you guys posted (or any similar file holding device), with a diamond stone file, like the Swix ones that come with the diamond surface encased in a plastic body, that type of unit fits into one of those edge devices as you would affix a normal file?
Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
yes
Reply | Threaded
|

ADmiKe
Bringing this thread back up - looking to maybe buy some ski vices

Any recommendations?  Not looking to spend alot.

Anything that works for both skis and snowboards same vice?

Thanks
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Years ago, I got a decent Swix kit from STP that included clamps. It serves my needs well but I don’t have very high standards
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Thanks for reminding me I needed to order more supplies by the way
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
I have a 2-piece Toko vice.  Works well, but since my skis have plates, I had to put a block under each clamp to raise it higher above the bench surface.  The vice below telescopes (see blue box) to raise it higher.

BTW, don't bother buying brake retainers.  Use the elastic from broccoli.  It works just as well.

Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply | Threaded
|

ADmiKe
So 2 piece vice vs 3 piece....I assume the 3rd piece is the center clamp.  Necessary? Or two piece good enough?

I think most vice sets come as 3 anyways?
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
I have an older version of this, it's ok - alot of plastic parts but has held up over the years. can't speak to the newer model design

https://www.amazon.com/Tools4Boards-Tuning-Vise-Snowboard-Black/dp/B01BKH93I6
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
In reply to this post by ADmiKe
Yeah, I did a quick search.  It seems most are sold now as 3 piece with the center clamping for base work and the ends clamping for sidewall.  For the 2-piece, each clamps for base work and sidewall work.

I don't know much about vices for snowboards.

Maybe something used on eBay will save some coin.
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by ADmiKe
Get the vola vice - its exactly the same as the swix but lower priced.

I got a Razor tune for my son and I to use for Christmas.  Its made by a Gore local and it does a great job.  Only change I would like is a stainless steel slide plate instead of plastic.

https://shop.razor-tune.com/products/razor-tune-basic-tuning-kit
Reply | Threaded
|

ADmiKe
Where do you buy the vola vice? Looks like it's tough to find from a US vendor
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Z
Z wrote
Get the vola vice - its exactly the same as the swix but lower priced.

I got a Razor tune for my son and I to use for Christmas.  Its made by a Gore local and it does a great job.  Only change I would like is a stainless steel slide plate instead of plastic.

https://shop.razor-tune.com/products/razor-tune-basic-tuning-kit
That looks interesting, Coach. Does it just do the side edge or does it work the base too?